Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 29.05.2007, 07:56 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Triton Extreme not doing it for me...

...and i'm having second thoughts about the Radias... well not so much on the Radias but was thinking of selling off both the Extreme and Radias and picking up another power synth to replace them. The Fantom XR is more than sufficiant for accoustic sounds etc.. so the Triton has really just been sitting there as a master keyboard only, waste of money.

Was looking at the Waldorf Pheonix Q+ looks a mean mofo, anyone here got one??? How about the Andromeda A6, any recommendations it?
Old 30.05.2007, 06:45 AM
This forum member lives here

If you're thinking analogue, how about vintage? There are tons out there, you could probably get 2 or 3 for the price of a new analogue or VA

Yamaha CS-15's are very cool...
Korg Polysix or maybe Juno 60 if you want polyphonic

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 30.05.2007, 07:26 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Thumbs up

ta Jase i'll check em out
Old 30.05.2007, 12:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

V-Synth or new V-Synth GT?
Old 30.05.2007, 01:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Thumbs up

ta Khazul, already got the V
Old 30.05.2007, 03:24 PM

I have a Radias, TI and a V-Synth withn rompler stuff dealt with by a Fusion and Motif ES rack.

I find it hard to really like the Radias as a lead sound, but do find it very useful as a backing synth with the Virus taking the lead. I could live without it though, but would probably need to find something to occupy its tonal space - airy high end.

Given the combo I have, cant say I have felt any need to add anything on the synth front, or even replace anything despite having days when I do think of ditching the V and Radias... but for what?

I had a play with a drom a week or so back and didnt feel it would really add anything - at least not anything blatent. Maybe if I didnt allready have a Radias, and so I was looking for something that could yield a clean high end, then maybe it wold have been more interesting - I guess its filters didnt realy grab me. They are good, just not that special I thought - each to their own...

The sound of a Nord Lead has never really grabbed me that much either, nor the Q and both are too expensive as pallette fillers (Radias was just about cheap enough for that...).

What has allways grabbed me about the Nords however is the morph groups, just because I often find myself using alot of slots in the matrix on the TI to do significant sound morphs from the mod wheel. Thats a similar attraction with the Q+ - huge internal mod options.

Maybe wait on one of the last NAMM announcements making its way to the streets. Do have a play with a drom if you can.

Maybe hangon, see what the Stromberg or Nord Wave has to offer? Now is probably not a great time to think of switching stuff around unless something is allready out and is on your must have list with so many very promising looking synths targetted for later this year, early next.

Another thought - how are you covered for fx processors? I guess you just not quite happy with the sound you have and are looking for a change - something like a TC fireworx or Eventide can yield a *huge* change in the sound pallette available to you - maybe alot more so than switching synths around and there is a hell of difference between these level of FX boxes and typical cheaper multi-fx.
Old 30.05.2007, 05:36 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Main thing for me just now is feeling good with each kit item and getting proper use and moneys worth out of all of them.

I'm getting a lot more comfortable with my setup general and really love the Ti (main synth), EMU Planet Earth (percussion), Supernova 2 (bass leads and general backup to the Ti), Fantom XR with various SRX cards (drums and just about everything else), Akai Z4 (a very handy to have)... and now feel that whilst i'm settling with some kit, theres other bits that are phasing out naturally, like the Triton, and to an extent the RADIAS.

Though I do appreciate the functionality offered by the radias such as the mod sequencer, filter morph etc.. its just not grabbing my attention so much any more. Not fussy on its menu system or patch management either.

I think I would appreciate thre Triton more if I were using the onboard sequencer etc.. and going about things that way, using it as the real workstation that it is... I just don't really like the feel of it, and have grown far fonder of the Fantom XR of which I find more and more out about each day. Its went from a general outsider to playing a central role now.

I love the V-synth and the flexability of it, though it requires attention, needs constant loving and programming to bring it up to the level it deserves to be. And I find that I turn more to Ti presets to do the job, quicker, easier. However, the V stays as I will incorporate it more and more as times goes by.. i've just not had the luxury of time and the free coming and goingness in my studio due to looking after my little 2 year old daughter more or less full time.

I had the Nord 2 a while back and whilst I thought it a solid synth and great for bass, I just didn't get into the feel of it, and its little simple LED and general patch management put me off as well as lack of onboard fx. Lame I know but its all to do with feeling comfortable with the tools and that can be a very individual thing.

I think I will wait for a bit like you suggest Khazul before selling of the Korgs and picking up something else as the synth horizon does look promising, though in saying that there will always be something on the horizon which us gear whores will lust after.

Its the 2nd hand kit price dropping over time that puts a little edge on things. Like, lets sell the redundant gear now sooner rather than later.

I've never had a waldorf in my setup so will probably demo the Q+ and will also checkout the Alesis Andromeda.. the stromberg i'm not so sure what they are going to do with that, looks like a sort of hybrid something or other? would need to look closer. Nord wave sounds very good.

Main music i've been playing recently is Ethno Ambient Psytranceyness so i'd be happier with something that will give me some original spacey sound effects, atmospheres and patches to work with beyond the mainstream Clubby Trancey R&B'ness of which I already have a ton of.

Last edited by nvisibl : 30.05.2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 30.05.2007, 07:10 PM

A little thing I am thinking of getting to encourage me to do more wierd shit with the V - thats one of those little portal digital wav recorders - maybe grab some outside noises and stick them through it
Old 30.05.2007, 07:12 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to bishopkris40

were will you get to demo the Q's, I'll be looking to play one, but never noticed any in Edingburgh the last time round, is there somewhere in Glasgow?
Old 30.05.2007, 07:16 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
A little thing I am thinking of getting to encourage me to do more wierd shit with the V - thats one of those little portal digital wav recorders - maybe grab some outside noises and stick them through it
right on man, great idea