Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 06.04.2009, 01:14 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Little Phatty or Voyager rackmount?

I want Moog.
::gearlust::

But, somehow I'm not sure why, as I have never tried a Moog synthesiser for myself. I suppose I've been drawn in by tales of premium analog monstrosity, and other large adjectives.

What do you guys think? Is the sound of Moog and the design of their synths really that good to justify spending all the extra money?

And, should I just go ahead and get a Little Phatty, or wait and save up and get a rackmounted Voyager? (which, coincidentally, takes up 5u - the same number of slots I have free in my Rack...)

-Annikk
Old 06.04.2009, 10:18 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Moog's are expensive. However, nothing else sounds quite like a Moog. Even the best emulations pale in comparison with a real Moog on a side by side test. Personally, I think they're worth every penny.

I visited the Moog factory two weeks ago and it was quite an education. Everything was handbuilt, tested, burned in and calibrated. I met the people who actually built and calibrated my unit (try that with a Roland or Yamaha).

The LP and voyager's are two entirely different animals. Aside from the number of oscillators, the overall sonic characteristics (while certainly still Moog), are quite different.

I know some that have both. When I was making my Moog decision, I just couldn't get what I wanted out of the LP, so for me the Voyager was the obvious choice.

Play them both. The winner will emerge for your needs. You won't go wrong with either one, but I have to say, the Voyager is such a monster!!

Your mileage may vary.
Keyboards: Yamaha C7 Grand Piano, 1957 Hammond B3, Hammond XK3, Kawai MP9000 Stage Piano, Fender Rhodes 73 Mk1, Yamaha CP33 Stage Piano, Yamaha Motif ES, Nord Electro 2 Sixty One, Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue, Access Virus Ti Kbd, Korg MS10.

Studio Gear: iMac G5, Protools 7.4, Logic 8, Reason 4, Live 7, Digidesign 002R, Digidesign C24 Control Surface, Mackie 824HR's, Dynaudio MB 6a's, Presonus Eureka, Universal Audio LA-610 Signature, Neumann TLM -103 (pair), Groove Tubes GT-66, et al
Old 07.04.2009, 12:23 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Prophet 08

have you heard one of these, supposed to be a very nice little synth (shame about the knobs on it though, feel like they would fall off in your hands)
Old 07.04.2009, 09:49 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Aren't those things like 5 grand?

The main reason for buying Moog would be to create awesome bass, or the occasional searing lead. Mostly bass though.

-Annikk
Old 07.04.2009, 06:37 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

2Gs 4 the keyboard and 1500 for the deskstop/Rack and its polyphonic up to 8 voieces hence the 8.Both the voyager and the lp are top quality sonic beasts but the voyager is definantly the superior of the 2.
Old 07.04.2009, 07:07 PM
Am starting to like this forum

I found the Voyager to be a bit harder and less sikly sounding than the Little Phatty and I like the Oveload function what should not be mistaken with the old feedback trick.
Old 08.04.2009, 02:17 AM
Am starting to like this forum

i just sampled chromatic notes from my Voyager and loaded them into Electro 3. CHECK IT OUT and hear for yourself.
Old 08.04.2009, 07:11 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

I started on a Little Phatty myself and really liked the synth...sounds great for lead sounds and basses...only thing that bugged me a bit was the selector/encoder which is used for the Phatty which feels a bit flimsy.

In fact i really wanted a Voyager and after a month of using a Phatty decided to sell it again (it was a Tribute edition...so it was sold within no time) and bought a Voyager Signature Edition instead.
A had a lot of synths which i liked...but my Voyager is the one i will never sell as i totally love this synth.
I like the very diverse sounds it can create...the endless possibilities you have with all the connections on the back of it...the sturdy feel of all the knobs and buttons used....etc.

If i had to choose i would go straight for the rackmount.
I know you will love the Phatty...and yes it sounds a bit more rough....but the rackmount Voyager will be more diverse for the sounds and interesting due to the connections on the back (for the VX-351).
Old 22.04.2009, 05:13 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I've owned a Voyager RME (+both vx units), and currently own a Little Phatty SEII.

I can tell you right off the bat that the RME is really really cool, and you will love it, it's immediate and responsive. You really should find room for the VX units in your rack if you do want to get it though, especially if you own other analog gear for cv connectivity.

I ended up selling my Voyager+vx units to finance a Future Retro XS, and a Little Phatty, and honestly I don't every plan to go back. I also have a MF-107, which, by utilitizing the XS, Acts as a 3rd oscillator for the LP, so the only thing I'm really missing is the voyager's extra modulation features, and stereo spacing. All that stuff is great, but really, if I want an overly complex modular-type patch, I'm going to reach for my TI, or think about buying a full fledged modular. The Voyager is definitely pretty close to being one, but it's not nearly as comprehensive as say a Doepfer w/ equivalent features.

Anywho, I'm really really enjoying the Little Phatty. It's elegant, versatile, and fat as hell. Big bass only really needs two oscs max, it's all about the filter and the waveform, when you start adding more and more oscs and detune them against each other you introduce phasing which actually thins the bass to some extent. Mono means bigger, too. The stereo filtering of the voyager (and highpass filter option) can get you really cool fx and leads etc w/ panning but it's not necessary for the bread and butter sounds one tends to expect out of your typical monosynth.

The LP by the way can do tons of crazy fx type patches, as current firmware allows for 2 mod sources and destinations, albeit at the same rate of the lfo, but it's still quite useful!

Long post, short:

Get the Voyager if you're hurting for complex sounds and options for experimentation, as well as meaty analog bass/leads.

Get the LP if you need an analog synth to get you meaty bass and leads, but don't need something for experimentation quite as much.
Old 23.04.2009, 09:48 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I'm really just hoping to use it for meaty, saturated/overdriven sounding bass. Sounds like the LP might be the better option, due to the huge price difference..

-Annikk