Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 23.04.2009, 05:12 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikk.exe View Post
I'm really just hoping to use it for meaty, saturated/overdriven sounding bass. Sounds like the LP might be the better option, due to the huge price difference..

-Annikk

I think so, really w/ the Voyagers, particularly the RME, you're paying for knobs per function, more I/Os, and obviously a few additional functions, but that's about where the buck stops. The LCD screens are not as nice on the Voyagers, and also another thing to consider is that the Voyager knobs are digitally encoded, whereas the LP employs RAC (Real Analog Control) technology, proprietary to Moog, which kicks the LP's knobs into full analog control when you turn them, meaning you get real analog sweeps that do not step. When you stop turning, the RAC turns off, and the LP stores the closest value to where the knob stopped at. It's brilliant really, and considering the LP costs less, I think it makes choosing what to get a lot simpler.

I wouldn't be suprised if in the next couple of years we see a brand new incarnation of the Voyager which uses all the new tech that the LP has been using, and hopefully a LCD akin to what the TIs are using (cuz they're like the friggin best!)

Also: If you're looking to get it second hand you can find them for really good prices on ebay. Mind you the only diff between Stage I and Stage II is a Midi over USB option and a new paint job. Stage Is are usually priced like 200 bucks lower, so they're a steal if you can find one, esp if the warranty is still good for a few months.
Old 30.04.2009, 01:16 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

A Voyager is a handcrafted instrument built for a lifetime. You will either agree or disagree that the money justifies the sounds of one note. But before you think it must be to ultimate, please consider the following.

The waveforms are somewhat rounded. There's no fast edge on the saw or square waves. You can however process the raw waves before going to the filter so there's a chance to brighten them up if you wish.

The stepping with the knobs is slight but sometimes noticeable. I wouldn't sweep the filter knob while self oscillating. Mind you its far better than digital synths because it is 256 steps instead of the usual 128. The Virus is superb in its smoothing so that you hear none.

If you are looking for that original moog sound, heaps of fanboys are distainful because its not a 30 year old pile of unstable transistors. I say the Voyager is how Moog would have made the minimoog D today: its the best technology can achieve today as was the model D in the '70s.

Sorry, can't comment on the LP. I love my Voyager though. The filter is still the moog filter.

B
Old 30.04.2009, 07:25 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Voyager all the way...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850@3GHz 2GB DD3 RAM
XP PRO SP3 w/2 150GB WD Raptors
Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB RAM OSX 10.4.11
Ableton Live 8
Serato SL1
VirusTI Desktop MK1
MOTU 828MKII
Genelec 8030