Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 29.12.2007, 04:23 AM
New here
New here

Default Access Virus KC OS 6.5 Issues Keyboard Local

i have an access virus kc

when i first bought it secondhand the os was screwed (entire sections of the menu were missing including "keyboard" so i couldn't enable it to local - i've read somewhere in the past that other users have had the same problem from time to time) so i reinstalled a fresh copy and it all worked fine and the complete menus were restored, problem solved till now

here is my problem - i have only just put a studio together, hooked up a controller keyboard to the virus kc so i could play it from in front of my computer, due to the midi setup not working properly i took the controller out and when i did the kc's keyboard stopped working and the keyboard submenu was gone which i of course require to enable the keyboard to local.

i've tried reinstalling the os and it seems to install ok but at least once a day the keyboard stops working and the menus disappear. on turning the power on the os will occasionally boot properly with the usually missing keyboard local menu and with a functioning keyboard, however 9 times out of 10 it doesn't. last night the issue arose again so i tried a suggestion from a ti user off of another forum - holding down the arp edit button while powering on and the keyboard and complete os booted as normal. this is a reset for a ti so i don't know if it was a coincidence but i guess i'll see next time. anyone know if this is or if there is a reset for the kc as well?

the os is 6.5 btw, might try downgrading if the problem persists / take it to see if it can be repaired, maybe it's a flash rom issue but do others have this problem?

thanks

Last edited by hdark : 29.12.2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 29.12.2007, 06:28 AM
This forum member lives here

yeah, I was going to recommend a factory reset as well.
Here is how to do it for your version of the virus

Power OFF the keyboard.

Hold down LFO Shape.

Power ON whilst still holding LFO Shape - don't let go until you see the 'Initialising...' message appear.
Old 30.12.2007, 10:44 AM
New here
New here

^^^
thank you so very much. i couldn't find this anywhere online, i bet it's prob in the manual - where i didn't look
Old 30.12.2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Make sure you save a copy of your patches before doing a reset, just in case doing a reset nulls all your patches too.
Old 17.03.2008, 06:39 AM
New here
New here

thanks for the help however the problem is still occurring. even with holding down lfo shape while powering on rarely fixes it. i haven't been using the kc lately and now that i really need to i get this. when it does boot properly i'm lucky to play it for 10 minutes before the keys stop working and the os corrupts again. then it's hit and miss powering on for the next couple of hours. there is no way i could gig this thing. only thing i can think of, short of taking it in for repair (which i can't afford right now), is to downgrade the os???

does anybody have a link to an older os? having trouble finding one. i have 6.5 right now

edit. missed the older os on access b4. will dl and try them

Last edited by hdark : 17.03.2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 17.03.2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Sounds like it would perhaps be worth a try (downgrading). However, have you tried redownloading OS v6.5 in case the one you have is slightly corrupt?

Do you have the Virus hooked up to anything else via MIDI?

Otherwise seems it may be a hardware issue.

Have you contacted Access support?
Old 18.03.2008, 06:37 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Sounds like it would perhaps be worth a try (downgrading). However, have you tried redownloading OS v6.5 in case the one you have is slightly corrupt?

Do you have the Virus hooked up to anything else via MIDI?

Otherwise seems it may be a hardware issue.

Have you contacted Access support?

i only have it hooked up to the comp via a motu express 128 though i've had the problem before this. i've reinstalled os6.5 too many times in the past to recall, sometimes it works, sometimes not. when it does it's not long before the problem returns.

i downgraded to os6 last night. it installed correctly and the problem persists. i will try os5.5 later though i'm not expecting it to work. at the end of the day even if it works i'm missing out on the extra features of the latest os.

is it worth contacting access? it's not under warranty. i'm going to contact the authorized repair center in my country and see if they can do anything. i have read of others having similar issues and i hope it is just a problem with the flash rom or something. it's quite disenchanting because i'm a huge fan of the synth and access in general and this is my main synth. i couldn't afford a brand new one so i bought this second hand. i'm thinking the previous owner burned me. to top it off i sold my functioning fine virus a just after i bought this and then the prob started appearing

Last edited by hdark : 18.03.2008 at 06:40 AM.
Old 18.03.2008, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Remember to use the correct version of the OS. There are different OS's for kC and desktop. A lack of keyboard menu sounds like it has desktop OS installed.
Old 18.03.2008, 10:09 AM
New here
New here

that's what i originally suspected months ago but i've never seen separate versions available.
Old 19.03.2008, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdark View Post
that's what i originally suspected months ago but i've never seen separate versions available.
Ach. Those probably were B series phenomena. The B series had S and T type OS in the same zip file and the other one was for the kB and the other for the B.