Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 09.01.2012, 04:00 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Great dubstep bass wobbles on TI ?

I see some guys made great dubstep basses with MS2000 and other synths which are inferior to the Virus... still I can't get that grityness of the pro dubstep bass.. Can anyone help me or can't it be done on TI?..
Old 10.01.2012, 12:48 PM
Pro
Pro

Check out this guys patch set for the TI - a great place to start from if you want some pretty full on dubstep patches. Your still probably going to need to do post processing and some full on EQing/multibanding anyway. http://www.radiansoundlab.com/

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 10.01.2012, 01:47 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I get the grimeiest sound by using square / sine combos and turning the sub bass slider up almost all the way.

also mess with the adsr of the filter

here is a track I did almost completely on the TI

http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=33118
Old 10.01.2012, 06:54 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Thanks guys!... I was thinking Noisia Machinegun type bass, or DNAEBeats or Skrillex stuff... What I can't understand, is Virus or Evolver, or Mopho and so on not so capable comparing to the f____g NI Massive?? It makes me wonder...
Old 11.01.2012, 02:43 AM
This forum member lives here

I know it doesn't directly help with the subject line, but thought I'd add that Massive isn't the only synth that does this, Harmor is another option. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0_00HKA24

I think the resynthesis of samples helps with the gritty vocoder kind of sound, and visualizing the LFO while varying the rate sort of helps the creative process. I'm sure there are many ways to process a sample and feed it into Virus to accomplish same, its just some synths seem almost designed for this kind of sound. I really don't make these kinds of sounds much (maybe during periods of indigestion but not on a synth but I have dabbled in it before and came to the conclusion that the harmonic base kind of needs to be right to start out with (or at least its easier that way).
Old 11.01.2012, 04:59 AM
Pro
Pro

@shinobi, the LFO sequencing function of Massive is where its real power lies, and where lots of those patterns come from. That said you can still go through and record your sounds off the TI and then do some slicing anyway - can yield some interesting results.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 12.01.2012, 03:24 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Thanks guys....... so Can I make at least as powerful sounds with the TI as with Massive or not??.. I see the less advanced MS2000 can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxV5T_TRYw
Old 12.01.2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI View Post
Thanks guys....... so Can I make at least as powerful sounds with the TI as with Massive or not??.. I see the less advanced MS2000 can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxV5T_TRYw
My honest opinion is that 99% of sounds made on one synth can be made on another, but I feel guilty about giving an unqualified yes without having a Virus in front of me and being able to upload a patch that would demonstrate it. In other words if I said yes your natural response could and perhaps should be "how" and for that, unfortunately, I don't have an answer.

Some synths lend themselves better to some sounds, and on other synths the same sound "is possible" but so awkward to reproduce you might never want to go there or be able to in a practical sense. In some cases, things like algorithmic limitations on filters, signal routes, and synth-specific FX combinations could make a sound on one subtractive synth difficult or seeming impossible to produce on another, and also sometimes characteristics present in one result in a similar but different sound on another even given the same basic steps to recreate. So, I stick to my belief of the 99% rule above, but it's not to say that one should get a Virus specifically for this type of sound because it may or may not excel at it (could fall into the hard-to-create category). I would search you tube for some tutorials or search for patch banks that get you close to what you need, or pay very close attention to the artist whose sound gets the closest to what you want to do, what types of synth they use.

Here is a wobble bass on Virus B that may provide some insight? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osIKKbsKJ-o

Here is some Skrillex-type sounds on Massive which don't help directly with the Virus, but understanding what constitutes the sound on one synth should get you headed in the right direction on any other: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOgo7RXla5g

What's interesting about the second link is that he chose specific waveforms for this and is basically phaseshifting the sample to get a formant sound. The former points out the importance of the harmonic base that I mentioned a couple of posts back, and the latter shows just how revealing watching a technique video like this can be, even if you take the technique and run with it on a different synth.

I promise you that learning as much as you can about synthesis and sound design will be the most powerful tool in your synthesis arsenal, and far and away more important than what specific synth you use to apply that knowledge to.

Not the answer you're looking for, I know, but the best I can do on this one. In the video you posted, the guy doesn't really go into a lot of detail on how he got those sounds out of the MS2000... a lot of what is really making it dubstep is the fact that he's chopped it up and playing on the MPC, IMO.
Old 13.01.2012, 02:54 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Thank u MBTC for your help!
Old 17.01.2012, 05:32 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

What I have found is that the virus is a bit more tricky to create the typical basses and sounds you hear in most dub step tunes because they are typically made using a combination of massives performer and the modulation knob.

The virus does not have the flexibility of the performer Lfo mode to make the sounds modulate as fast as when using massive, although I recommend trying a couple of things....

Most important is the source sound....experiment with oscillator shapes in the wavetables...scan through them with an Lfo assigned to the shape of the oscillator and listen to which ones sound nice for what you want...something harmonically rich is a good start.

Don't use an Lfo for when you are making a sequence, instead draw automation in your sequencer to control things like cutoff etc.this allows you to create your own shapes.

Distortion is your friend !

Don't be afraid to use the eq to boost certain freqs..

Assign the arp to filter cutoff and see how it sounds.

Frequency shifter is also your friend !