Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 20.11.2003, 07:53 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon
Default Purchasing new computer, please advise

Well, I'm getting one of those new dual processor 2GHz Mac's. I will be purchasing Digital Performer 4, and using my 828mkII audio interface.

I was wondering if any of you are running a system like this (or any sequencer on the new G5). I'm a little bit swayed by Logic and Cubase, but I think that DP4 is calling me the loudest.
Old 20.11.2003, 09:42 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

How much does that 2GHz Mac cost?
Old 20.11.2003, 04:22 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

We just got an iMac G4. And guess what? We got no good source of income. Ohm sleepless nights...
Old 24.11.2003, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Purchasing new computer, please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon
Well, I'm getting one of those new dual processor 2GHz Mac's. I will be purchasing Digital Performer 4, and using my 828mkII audio interface.

I was wondering if any of you are running a system like this (or any sequencer on the new G5). I'm a little bit swayed by Logic and Cubase, but I think that DP4 is calling me the loudest.
I'm quite skeptic about Mac, because of the lack of programs on the market. And then there's the price... =( But the compability - between the system and the programs - is better.

I've built my own pc, where all part is of top quality. It cost me about 25 000 SEK, but in the end I think it's going to be cheap, when I only have to change the parts instead of buying a whole new computer.
Old 24.11.2003, 04:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

the best pc in the market today cant beat the mac g5...
if your going hardware all the way go for it if your going also software i'l would wait for the next intel chip
Old 24.11.2003, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
the best pc in the market today cant beat the mac g5...
if your going hardware all the way go for it if your going also software i'l would wait for the next intel chip
The AMD's 64-bit processor is already out and Intel's new model is coming in winter. I think the PC's are on G5 level on next spring. There's no point in getting Mac if you have used PC before. You only get new system to learn without almost eny benefits.
Old 24.11.2003, 06:27 PM
Amateur
Amateur

A pentium 4 3.2 gig with hyper threading on are just as fast or even faster. Mac benchmarked their systems against P4`s with hyperthreading off.

Also here in the Uk they`ve now stopped the G5 advert from being shown on tv because of false advertising.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12601

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/33909.html

64 bit systems are going to blow G5 out of the water when there fully compatible with software.

Old 24.11.2003, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyS
64 bit systems are going to blow G5 out of the water when there fully compatible with software.
There's already 64-bit version of Windows XP released, so we'll just have to wait for Cubase update to 64-bit architechture and off we go.
Old 29.11.2003, 01:17 PM

I use a P4 1,6 Ghz PC with 512 MB DDR 2700 RAM.

It works just fine for me, but then again I don't exploit it too heavily. I record LOTS of vocals through, with LOTS of realtime processing, with no problems. I haven't really used it too much with soft synths YET though, so I can't say how it would work if it was really pushed.

http://blueswan.mymusic.dk
Old 07.12.2003, 04:09 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Well, as a follow-up, I did, in fact get the new Dual 2Ghz Mac G5. Lemme tell you, this thing is rock solid. Paid 2800 US for it (ouch), but it works great. Right now running Audiodesk 2 and Absynth, Motu 828mkII handling the sound duties, everything is amazingly stable (Absynth and Cubase SX were never very stable under Windows for me, I had constant problems). Going to get Digital Performer 4 next week.

As far as computing power, it's great. Yesterday I had 100 audio tracks playing simultaneously, with 5 effects on each track. Computer never got tired, I just got tired of adding tracks. Playback is smooth and glitch-free, even with that much going on.

This is my first experience w/Mac, and if things keep going this well, I'll never look at another PC again.