Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 26.08.2014, 03:37 PM
Pro
Pro

I tried the demo a while ago...What I like about its Unison is that it is so much more than the average unison, which are usually things like Pitch detuning, Pan spread, phase, generalized envelope randomness for all the Voices etc..With Dune2, YOu can also make all sorts of variations between all the voices, like Cutoff, LFO, ARP etc...every synthesis function really...
Dune 1 had a way to do similar things, from the Mod Matrix...

Overall I liked Dune 2..JUst wish there was a possibility to use the wavetables as FM carriers and Modulators...Dune 1 could use a variety of waveforms for FM..I feel that Dune 2 is lacking in that aspect...could have been quite simple to implement, I am guessing.
Old 26.08.2014, 10:57 PM
This forum member lives here

Yeah, each unison voice is basically like its own patch within a multi, can make some amazing sounds with it. I think you're right it probably would have been fairly easy to allow multiple wavetables for FM like in Dune, although I think with the additional FM controls that Dune 2 has for each voice, the net result might be a bit more flexibility overall. Although, another way of looking at it is you can get both Dune1+Dune2 bundled for about the same price as most soft synths and have the best of both worlds, or if you already have Dune 1 you can get Dune 2 for only $80.

It's been interesting to watch Dune2 bubble to the top of the KVR rankings, that was something I mentioned I thought we would see in my first post in thread.
Old 29.08.2014, 10:00 AM
Veteran
Veteran

As for the KVR ratings: well, the first one was already used a lot! The stripped down, although perfectly usable Computer Music's Dune version surely has helped to broaden the public. And now this one continues the same tendency: it's packed with enough features to appeal to those looking for a bread and butter synth and with a few things of its own like the mentioned rather unique Unison engine it's got!

Now, as for nutrino's post: well, there's some instruments with which you can feed a completely wacky signal into the FM equation. One that immediately strikes my mind is Zebra, of course. You can even draw your own wavetable and use that input for modulating the frequency of a simpler FM oscillator. Actually you can feed it with just about any kind of signal you want, except audio input! Another great FM synth to look for is of course Bazille (yes, also from U-he) which is capable of some unique stuff, that you'd only find using some euro rack modules previously...
Old 29.08.2014, 11:01 AM

Zebra is still in my top 5 must-have synths, mainly because as you said, the flexibility to do just about anything that can be done with a synth, including a few things nobody has thought of yet. Every now and then with a synth like Dune 2, I find myself wanting to do something that only Zebra can. But, the overall time from init patch to a great patch in Dune 2 is so much faster. Sometimes the flexibility of Zebra encourages so much experimentation that it can be time consuming. Dune 2 really shines at the workflow of sound design, creating amazing patches easily with a simplified UI.
Old 30.08.2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I have to agree with you on that point!

That's one of the reasons most people love their hardware synths, you usually get to know them inside out and then it's a breeze to get new sounds of them!

But there's plenty of software ones that can get pretty damn complicated that are quite good for more daring stuff. On the back of my mind would be Zebra, FM8 with it's amazingly flexible envelopes and FM engine (I personally don't like the filters on it...), Absynth that's got to have one of the most complex engines I've seen thus far, capable of producing the most intriguing sound atmospheres with tons of very organic sounding movement.

Of all those, the one I like to use more is of course Zebra. One of the reasons for that is the layout. Waveform editing is a breeze, even custom designed wavetables can be quite fast to achieve. Then there's the oscillator fx which just add tremendous possibilities to the equation. It can also drive all this as far as x11 unison voices per oscillator, no matter the complexity of the oscillator itself. But you can't do that with an FM oscillator, those are quite simple, sort like DX style oscillators were.

I think for a modular style synth with so much going on, the cable free interface with the columns has actually made it quite easy to accomplish hugely complex patches quite fast. Even the way it lets you arrange the modules themselves, switch their order, turn them on and off, so forth and so on, is quite ingenious. And I'm expecting something out of this world to come with the 3rd version of it - there's already much talk on their KVR forum about that! Very promising!

Being a Virus guy, I've got that famous manual called "programming analogue synthesizers" by Howard Scarr and was pleased to catch up with him again on U-he's stuff, and think it's kind of natural that synth aficcionados and sound design enthusiasts regard Zebra as a go-to synth!

If you get into the sound designer frame of mind, you'll quickly begin looking at instruments and their different feature sets and after some experimentation ('cause you don't know something just from the feature list) you decide on what something can do that others can't or what it can do better then others. To my mind, the implementation of Unison on Diva is something that completely sets it apart from the competition and can deliver sounds you can't get elsewhere! Plus, it can deliver in the most simple of sounds with very impressive results: it's used a lot for the plucky sawtooth bass you find on most trance genres, for example - even the computer music version can do that brilliantly!
Old 15.09.2014, 06:12 PM

MusicRadar review... a couple of months old but I only now saw it.

http://www.musicradar.com/us/reviews...-dune-2-603850
Old 22.09.2014, 01:25 PM
Pro
Pro

ANybody tried out Serum yet ? Its pretty good
Old 22.09.2014, 10:11 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Is there a point anymore? I mean what can you really offer these days that hasn't been done. Of course I would never want these companies to stop, as eventually they will stumble across something completely new. I can't even bring myself to try spire or dune.
Old 22.09.2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionPunch View Post
Is there a point anymore? I mean what can you really offer these days that hasn't been done.
Continual improvement is never done until everyone stops doing it. Some of the newer soft synths coming out sound better than hardware. I wouldn't have said that maybe 6 years ago.

Is the market oversaturated with plugins? Sure, but when one comes along that's noteworthy, then it is, and that was my reason for creating this thread. I didn't mention the other fifty or so I've tried that didn't strike me as particularly special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionPunch View Post
I can't even bring myself to try spire or dune.
I wouldn't write them off if you haven't tried them. That's what demos are for.
Old 25.09.2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrinoland View Post
ANybody tried out Serum yet ? Its pretty good
Tried the demo. I thought the presets sounded good, but just browsing presets can be slow (wavetable loading I'm sure), and I think overall performance of it would be a problem for my workflow. Also all of the visualizations are nice, and useful enough, but I'm not sure I want to be using my CPU for animations. Some of the presets sounded good in isolation but not a lot of them grabbed me as something I would really use in a mix. I can see how it's popular though.

The wavetable loading would surely be better on an SSD but I don't want to spend a lot of money on a hard drive that gets progressively slower / damaged slightly every time it's written to.