Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 16.01.2009, 03:41 PM
New here
New here

Question Polar Without Ti

Happy New Year,
I'd like to use my Polar with Logic but not with Virus Control since I don't want to deal with latency issues and switching live/direct mode on/off constantly.

What's the best way to set this up?
1. I want to record MIDI and AUDIO simultaneously into Logic. With Local On
2. I want to use USB for receiving midi clock from Logic but not to transmit audio.

At the moment, as soon as I start an audio app, the Virus switches Local Control off. Can I communicate to the Virus over USB without Virus Control installed?
Also is there anyway to run VC standalone?
Old 16.01.2009, 06:18 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijaicairo View Post
Happy New Year,
I'd like to use my Polar with Logic but not with Virus Control since I don't want to deal with latency issues and switching live/direct mode on/off constantly.
I use my Polar without Virus Control because it is not compatible with Digital Perfomer, which I use.

Quote:
What's the best way to set this up?
1. I want to record MIDI and AUDIO simultaneously into Logic. With Local On

2. I want to use USB for receiving midi clock from Logic but not to transmit audio.

At the moment, as soon as I start an audio app, the Virus switches Local Control off. Can I communicate to the Virus over USB without Virus Control installed?
Also is there anyway to run VC standalone?
AFAIK, VC does not run in standalone mode, only within a DAW.

Also, AFAIK, using your sequencer to talk to the Virus without VC won't work, either.

Why do you want to use LOCAL ON? This isn't typically how MIDI keyboards and computer-based sequencers work together, although I've been doing this a long time and tend to be set in my ways. LOCAL needs to be OFF if you've got the computer recording and playing back MIDI data. The MIDI data goes into the computer, gets recorded, and then comes back out through the computer back to the synth. For all intents and purposes, the computer is "in between" the keys themselves and the synth that actually makes the sound. Having LOCAL ON with this kind of setup causes each piece of MIDI data to get sent to the synth twice.

LOCAL ON only works if you're NOT doing MIDI sequencing - if you just want to play the synth and record the audio into Logic.

Recording MIDI and audio simultaneously typically isn't done either, but perhaps I'm missing something here. Typically, one records parts to MIDI tracks to keep them editable (quantize, fix notes, etc.) and then records the part(s) to audio when they're ready to be finalized. If you're recording directly to audio, what's the purpose of the MIDI track?

IMHO, the best way to use the TI without VC is to simply use "old fashioned" MIDI cables. But you'll need a regular USB/MIDI interface and perhaps an audio interface to record the TI into Logic (unless you just want to make do with your computer's audio in jacks).

At least that's how I do it.

Others may have suggestions about how to partially use USB and VC to to do sequencing and record the TI in "hardware" mode, but I just do it the old fashioned way (as if the "TI" part didn't exist) and it works great for me.
Old 16.01.2009, 06:35 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Are you THE keyboard wizard. You can't be new here. Your like.... a wizard...

Excuse me... THE WIZARD.

Old 16.01.2009, 10:26 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monobeat View Post
You can't be new here.
I'm not.

But for some reason, I hadn't logged in in a while, and when I came back the site couldn't find me via either of my email addresses. So I re-registered.
Old 16.01.2009, 11:45 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

One reason to record MIDI events with Local ON is to avoid the latency of the round-trip of MIDI events through the sequencer and back to the Virus. How long this latency is depends on your MIDI interface and DAW. (It's fine with my MIDI interfaces and Logic, so like keybdwizrd I always record with Local Off.) If you decide to try recording in that mode, you need to break the MIDI connection from the computer back to the Virus somehow. You can either tell your DAW not to echo incoming MIDI events back to its MIDI outputs, or physically disconnect the MIDI input of the Virus, whatever.

On rare occasions I've captured both audio and MIDI outputs from the Virus. I usually do this when I'm tracking parts that I don't think will need any editing, but I keep the MIDI around just in case, or to print a score from what I've recorded.

hth,

-Luddy
Old 17.01.2009, 12:10 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Hello Keybrdwzrd,
Don't know if you remember me, I'm the guy who mailed you about synts aka boneheadxan on Youtube....and thanks to you I have a Virus
Good to see ya here.
________
magic flight launch box

Last edited by Splat! : 29.01.2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 17.01.2009, 01:42 AM
New here
New here

Default Why I record both MIDI & Audio

Hi thanks for your reply.
Actually in Logic, you can record both MIDI and audio simultaneously. I have no problem doing it with my M3 or the Micron I used to have. Its just that with the Virus, VC just wants to take over. I need to have local on because I want to avoid any latency and I also want to capture my performance both as audio and MIDI simultaneously. I don't route the MIDI track back to the VIRUS so I don't get a loop back. The reason I record this way is because if my performance is flawless, I already have an audio part and i don't need to go thru another step of playing back the MIDI part and recording it. If there are some messy notes, I can just fix those notes and re-record. I typically pack all my MIDI parts into a muted hidden folder track in Logic and I sometimes use them if I play something particularly cool while improvising that I can't seem to replay after the initial recording.

I also like to leave Local set to on on my keyboards because I like to just turn on a play along to a song in iTunes without having to futz thru menus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
I use my Polar without Virus Control because it is not compatible with Digital Perfomer, which I use.

AFAIK, VC does not run in standalone mode, only within a DAW.

Also, AFAIK, using your sequencer to talk to the Virus without VC won't work, either.

Why do you want to use LOCAL ON? This isn't typically how MIDI keyboards and computer-based sequencers work together, although I've been doing this a long time and tend to be set in my ways. LOCAL needs to be OFF if you've got the computer recording and playing back MIDI data. The MIDI data goes into the computer, gets recorded, and then comes back out through the computer back to the synth. For all intents and purposes, the computer is "in between" the keys themselves and the synth that actually makes the sound. Having LOCAL ON with this kind of setup causes each piece of MIDI data to get sent to the synth twice.

LOCAL ON only works if you're NOT doing MIDI sequencing - if you just want to play the synth and record the audio into Logic.

Recording MIDI and audio simultaneously typically isn't done either, but perhaps I'm missing something here. Typically, one records parts to MIDI tracks to keep them editable (quantize, fix notes, etc.) and then records the part(s) to audio when they're ready to be finalized. If you're recording directly to audio, what's the purpose of the MIDI track?

IMHO, the best way to use the TI without VC is to simply use "old fashioned" MIDI cables. But you'll need a regular USB/MIDI interface and perhaps an audio interface to record the TI into Logic (unless you just want to make do with your computer's audio in jacks).

At least that's how I do it.

Others may have suggestions about how to partially use USB and VC to to do sequencing and record the TI in "hardware" mode, but I just do it the old fashioned way (as if the "TI" part didn't exist) and it works great for me.
Old 17.01.2009, 02:06 AM
New here
New here

Default Virus Control freak not.

I removed the Virus Control plug-in from my plugin folder and it turns out that VC isn't actually responsible for toggling Local on/off on the Polar because it happened as soon as I started Logic even without VC installed. I wasn't using the Virus as my audio interface so there must be some kind of callback to the Ti's MIDI driver that toggles Local Control every time you start an audio app.
This is also a pain if I want to record something into soundtrack. Soundtrack doesn't do MIDI yet local is turned off and i have to manually flip it before I can record anything.