Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 13.01.2004, 03:40 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Song writing processes

Hi Folks,

Just wondering how the solo producers out there write their music. Do you lay the drums down and then build the synths around it or do you leave the drums till last? Is it better to build a track starting with a vocal sample for instance?

It's a bit different when you are producing on your own because you're not in a band and can't feed off other band members as you "jam", so you have to trust your own judgement a lot more, Know what I mean?
Old 13.01.2004, 03:44 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Edit: Gah! That was an ancient thread I posted.

Well I usually don't start from any certain part. Sometimes it's a nice chord progression, sometimes a new sound gets me going and now and then a certain idea for the song.
Old 13.01.2004, 03:44 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

I start with drums and bass - compress the kick together with the bass and then write the track around them.

Then develop a groove, pads, lead in that order and then I redo the drums using the same pattern but select the drums to fit the track.
Old 13.01.2004, 09:15 PM
Pro
Pro

Like Martyn, i've been building the drums and then going onto other stuff. I might try starting off from vocal samples and then seeing what happens from there (Moby and Fatboy Slim do it that way). I just wanted to see how other people approach it.
Old 14.01.2004, 12:30 AM

it really depends on the track itself. 4 beat dance tracks i usually start with the drums. but broken drum tracks i tend to start with a melody or bassline.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 14.01.2004, 05:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

i most of the track write a 4 beat tracks and usualy i start up with bass part and melodic parts
Old 14.01.2004, 01:35 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

I ususally start with a basic dnb drum pattern and then hit the virus for a bassline. After that I go back to the drums to try and change them up a bit and try some different patterns. Really I'm kinda all over the place.
Old 15.01.2004, 11:00 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I usually get better results starting with some synth harmony sound. It is easier to start with the drums. If you want to try something different use a different approach.
Old 15.01.2004, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

I usually start with the lead sound and build everything around that - the lead is the thing imho that carries the song.. sometimes i usually just are trying to create new patches and go from there to build the song

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 15.01.2004, 09:37 PM

As a pianist I start with a nice catchy melody, then I want to get the rythm right... that's where I start to see where I'm heading. Well, after that I put in some bass and strings (yeah, I like strings) *freak*. I finish with the effects. And then I go through it all and change what I don't think is perfect. But this far I've never done something perfect and that's annoying me *wrinkle my nose*. But this is pretty much how I do my songs *hi,hi*