Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 20.10.2005, 03:45 PM
New here
New here

Send a message via AIM to hyper808
Default How is TI working with ABLETON LIVE 5? anyone?

I love working in Ableton Live and was wondering if the TI is working ok within it (MAC OS X btw) ? Also, if the vst/au part still has problems, then can I just audio output from the TI to the audio ins of the TI without a problem? (to bring in the audio to an audio track....)..any help....

still waiting for my TI

JOHN
Old 24.10.2005, 06:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: How is TI working with ABLETON LIVE 5? anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper808
I love working in Ableton Live and was wondering if the TI is working ok within it (MAC OS X btw) ? Also, if the vst/au part still has problems, then can I just audio output from the TI to the audio ins of the TI without a problem? (to bring in the audio to an audio track....)..any help....

still waiting for my TI

JOHN
it works but you need 5.0.2

marc
Old 24.10.2005, 06:39 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Thats the setup I have been working with, Live + Mac + Powerbook. As far as stability goes I haven't seen to many crashes since the latest updates of Live and TI OS, so that part is good.

The biggest problem I have seen is when using the VirusControl for everything (audio, midi, patch editing). Right now I leave VirusControl off and use the USB just for audio and midi; after that things seem to run alot smoother. With VirusControl on the timing is just off, even on basic midi parts.

Anyways its workable at the moment but its not quite 100% integrated as it could be. But I am sure access is working hard to get new updates out there to fix the oustanding issues.
Old 24.10.2005, 10:26 PM
New here
New here

Send a message via AIM to hyper808
Default thanks

thanks for the help..I have the latest version of LIVE and expecting a TI soon....didn't know you could turn off the virus control and still route in the audio and midi via usb? is this the case?
Old 25.10.2005, 12:11 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Even without the VirusControl you sill have the option to use the midi ins/outs (and audio) supplied by the TI and the USB connection. You just need to set the TI into sequencer mode manually, set a live track to a midi channel, and should be ready to roll.

Its not the ideal way to run things as you loose out on the nice patch editing/saving features of VirusControl which are pretty slick. I just couldn't get it to play midi back correctly with VirusControl up and running. Hopefully there is an update soon.

But maybe its something with my setup, definitely give virusControl a try, maybe you will get different results.
Old 25.10.2005, 10:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper808
thanks for the help..I have the latest version of LIVE and expecting a TI soon....didn't know you could turn off the virus control and still route in the audio and midi via usb? is this the case?
you can route audio, or better to say, use the virus as an audio interface. what you can't do is to send the audio output of a certain part to the computer - this is where you need the virus control to receive it.

midi-vise, both, the virus sound engine and the "midi interface" can be selected from you sequencer, e.g. live

best, marc
Old 10.11.2005, 09:59 AM
New here
New here

Send a message via AIM to shagghie
Default Ableton Live settings recommendations

1st of all, my first night with the Polar.
2nd: I'm a hw synth noob, and an audio noob to boot
3rd: This is on demo version of Live 5.0.2 on OSX on my Powerbook 15":

Here's the way I have Virus Control working so far. I kind of inverted the logic of some of the earlier posts to see what happens. I had nothing but pops and clicks until I finally found Buffer Nirvana.

In Live --> Preferences, under Audio Tab:
*Input Audio Device: Access Virus Ti
*Output Audio Device: Built-In Audio (the Powerbook's own sound card)
*Buffer Size: 4.74ms (133 samples)
*Sample Rate: 44100
*Overall Latency: 4.74ms + 13.6ms + 0.00ms= 18.3ms

under Midi/Sync tab:
Input
Virus Ti Midi T on S on R off
Virus Ti Synth T on S on R off
Output
Virus Ti Midi T on S on R off
Virus Ti Synth T on S on R off

Virus TI Midi
0.00ms Delay
MIDI Timecode
Smtp All
no offset
--------8<-------------8<
Virus Ti Set-up:
Seqencer Mode
Output 1 L/R: 1/4" to the Genelecs
USB to input port on Left side of powerbook
No other USB devices plugged in
Powerbook setup:
System Preferences --> Audio MIDI Setup --> Audio Devices Tab:
Default Input: Built-in Audio
Default Output: Built-in Audio
System Output: Built-in Audio
System Preferences --> Audio MIDI Setup --> MIDI Devices Tab:
Make sure your P0LAR has the right Icon!

Results of above set-up:
No popping or clicking when using Live 5.0.2 and inserting the Virus Ti Virus Control AU Plugin into a MIDI track. I use the following:
MIDI From: Virus Ti SYNTH (not MIDI), Audio to: Master, Monitor IN.

The cool thing is that I can use the Virus Control to change patches, OR I can use the buttons on the Virus Polar itself...all with out any popping or clicking. The SINGLE most important factor in slaying the clicking dragon is the Buffer size. For my set-up, it has to be almost exactly 133 samples...any less, sound drops out in intervals. Any more, and popping and clicking randomly during different patch selections, under various conditions. Sounds like effects section, but it's just to do with buffer me thinks. I think ultimately this might have to do with the Ti's MIDI delay compenstaion routines not playing well with various DAW sequencers.

The BAD news? Well, no matter what channel I select in Ableton on the MIDI track that VirusControl is running under, the only bank on the left hand side of Virus Control that will play is the one loaded under Channel 1....even if there are other ones loaded in channels 2, 3, etc. and even if in Ableton I'm selecting only those channels, it still only plays (sonically) whatever bank is loaded in channel 1. It seems to know IF there is a bank loaded or not at least....but the logic goes: If Ableton live has channel 3 selected, and if in Virus Control, channel three should be playing LordOrg bank, screw it...we're just going to go with whatever happens to be loaded in channel 1! OBTW, if there is NO bank loaded in channel 3, for example, then NO sound is played (not even channel 1's).

Weak!

With that, it's off to bed. I didn't get any farther into it than the above, so please, other Live users try this at home and report in ASAP so we can hammer out a tennable solution before I slap down 500 for Ableton Live!

-noob shagghie
TB-303's up the wazoo
and NO, I don't use Total Insanity...I just want my virus to be what it is already...a kick ass synth without USB cords hanging off the back of it...