Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 03.03.2010, 02:02 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Mixing with Virus TI... How do you guys do it??

Heey... I was wondering how people mix their music with their virus. I mean I am pretty stuck

If I would use VST's. Life would be much simpler... I guess... I have a track for each instrument. Am I the only one who has troubles making a good mix with the virus control center? I mean... I am pretty stuck... It seems I can't find myself a confidence way how to use the 3 outputs... Also... I miss a little compressor... when I stream more sounds to one of the outputs, compressing then compresses all the sounds...

Also Don't know what and when to bounce... or sample... Because when bounced. There is no way back to any options to rebalance the song. The only option you have is to cut frequencies. And still... If cutting or cutoff sweeping. You don't have the filters of the virus... Other coloration...

Any tips or tricks? tnx
Old 03.03.2010, 05:11 PM
Infektion taking hold...

ATM I just mix in the virus internaly. It has it's limmitations but it's not bad.
When i'm finished I bounce all parts en mix them futher.
Also i think compression is a bit overrated. Using sidechain compression for something as a bass i can understand, but compressing a melody is not really nessecary untill the song is ready and bounced. You can use the part volume automation
Old 08.03.2010, 12:12 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

yea, i've found a few work arounds, as my program is also chewing up alot of the CPU time, this helps with that too...I use the three outputs, three different channels of effects, when I use another sound on the channel (just for testing purposes) I just turn off the effects for the previous channel.

It's all about bouncing down when you have a line (relatively) complete. Saves CPU time, and gives you freedom to move onto a different sound. I manage to juggle this balance alright, to where I find I only need to bounce every so often.

I coup with the internal mixer as well.

There are work arounds, it just takes time and patience.

Old 14.05.2010, 04:03 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I rarely have more than one Virus track, I have so many synths, the Virus is just one of them...
Anyhow, I use the VST and I love it (one less machine to route through the analog mixer) and I never bother with multitimbrality (I have a Snow, it's limited anyway.) If I need two Virus tracks, I'll record the first track, freeze (bounce) it, and then proceed to record the next one. That simple.
Old 22.06.2010, 09:04 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I usually have about 4 tracks of virus TI and 2 from the powercore

then I'll layer a sub bass usually with another synth like the Albino or the emulatorX2

I'll use the TI for the meat of the bass sounds and the powercore for pads and fx, etc..
Old 23.06.2010, 01:41 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

I usually have 4 tracks from my virus. I use all 3 usb outs with 2 having side chain (ducking) added to it. 1 quite extreme for my rolling bass lines and the other only slight. The 3rd out I leave dry for other sounds I might add what don't need it.

It's more abt what works for you though! Currently my technique isn't but I like it. Half the fun is finding a technique you like to use.
Old 23.06.2010, 01:59 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSTZ View Post
I'll use the TI for the meat of the bass sounds and the powercore for pads and fx, etc..
Just curious, why prefer the powercore for pads? And what do you use for leads?
Old 23.06.2010, 01:35 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Just curious, why prefer the powercore for pads? And what do you use for leads?
it just became my workflow...

no real reason other than I wanna keep the parts of the TI open for more advanced sounds.