Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 25.03.2004, 10:09 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default It's GAS time!

Insane idea: I just sold my A4000 and thought that what if I'd also sell my Modular and buy a fast computer with DSP card as replacement.

I just realised that it would be much easier to do everything in software. Because I use software for compression and effects, it would be much easier to get everything inside a computer. A DSP card would fill the gap of lack of HW.

Any recommendations for a DSP card? I'd mostly use it as virtual analog.
Old 25.03.2004, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

Err..After all this trouble.. Well how about a Pulsar II card? those are sweet.. And Luna Expansion to that one.. or something like that

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 25.03.2004, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3o3
Err..After all this trouble..
Yes. But I got a keyboard.

Quote:
Well how about a Pulsar II card? those are sweet.. And Luna Expansion to that one.. or something like that
I just listened to some demo clips on Creamware site and that card sounds bloody good! I just did some planning and I could get a nice Athlon 64 -based PC for 800,- when combining some of the old parts from this old computer.
Old 25.03.2004, 11:42 PM

So, it seems you may regret selling the VB after all hey! The modular and the sampler wasn't enough was it?

You mentioned it's easier in all software - that's because you don't have enough hardware. If you have a mixer with a few different routing options, it's easy to route sound where ever you want.

An example of why I wont go all soft ever - try doing this in software.

I run a sound from the nord sent into/thru (pre-fader or slightly wet) the VF1 FX and the Virus input (with the VC running a tempo synced LFO or something), then the result of that runs into the CS-10. From there the sound is recorded straight into the sampler (auto truncated and normalized) or computer. At the same time I have the option to insert a valve on any chanel or run the sound into the zoom too. This can be done by pressing 3 or 4 buttons and using a few knobs and sliders. It's so fast and inspirational. If only I had a hardware compressor too!

Doing this in all software using something like rewire would take much more time and would sound second rate.

I wouldn't go completely soft if I was you. I like my hardware too much though I guess. I definitely wouldn't sell that modular yet.

Don't do it Juho!

By the way, I have no idea about the latest DSP cards! hehe
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 25.03.2004, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
The modular and the sampler wasn't enough was it?
I had to sell the sampler. That got me going.

Quote:
Doing this in all software using something like rewire would take much more time and would sound second rate.
I don't understand the logic of your example. If I have all in software, I can rout things the way I like with few clicks.

Quote:
I wouldn't go completely soft if I was you. I like my hardware too much though I guess. I definitely wouldn't sell that modular yet.

Don't do it Juho!
Hmm... I think it would be much easier to work with software

Quote:
By the way, I have no idea about the latest DSP cards! hehe
I knew it! I have to think this over.
Old 26.03.2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
I don't understand the logic of your example. If I have all in software, I can rout things the way I like with few clicks.
It takes much more than a few clicks. Manualy changing amounts by using virtual sliders and the like! Think about the multiple channels too. Then theres the case of sound! Software is getting good, but not that good.

Quote:
Hmm... I think it would be much easier to work with software
Setting up is easier for sure. Once everything is wired together in an analogue desk it's much more simple than software to use. No hidden menus or virtual buttons and sliders! Plus there's the analogue EQ at your finger tips for everychannel too.

Quote:
I knew it! I have to think this over.
You should!

Remember though, I am only stating my opinion and you shouldn't listen fi you don't want. But after you get the chance to play in a good hardware setup and you say "I wish I spent the money on hardware instead" - I'm gunna say I told you so! hehe
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 26.03.2004, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
It takes much more than a few clicks. Manualy changing amounts by using virtual sliders and the like! Think about the multiple channels too. Then theres the case of sound! Software is getting good, but not that good.
I don't have money for big analog desk. Of course I wouldn't even consider software if I could get a good HW-setup.

Quote:
Setting up is easier for sure. Once everything is wired together in an analogue desk it's much more simple than software to use. No hidden menus or virtual buttons and sliders!
Well I do mixing on PC anyway so selling Modular or not selling Modular wouldn't change the situation anyway.

Quote:
But after you get the chance to play in a good hardware setup and you say "I wish I spent the money on hardware instead"
The I'd say "Oh yeah, what money".
Old 26.03.2004, 05:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

i work with the pulser 2
its a great card
the synths and the fx are great
the modular is amazing
with one of thos+a dsp expantion you can build your whole virtual studio on
Old 26.03.2004, 05:22 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

As nice as DSP cards are, computers are always advancing, and you'll end up with incompatilities sooner or later. That, and you'll run into annoying but trivial problems like driver issues, data loss due to coke spilled on hard drive, whatever.

In saying so, stick with a big brand company that won't leave you out cold.

Perhaps the TC Electronic powercore?
________
Medical Marijuana Dispensory

Last edited by saba : 26.04.2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 26.03.2004, 09:40 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Ok lets start here...we will start by saying that software equals hardware because VA's r basically software...the one problem i have ran into with Va's is that although u can get an abundance of sound from them...you can still for the most part tell the difference from one another because their basic wave sounds r slightly different...and like the nova and virus sound different to me...they have a unique sound...well by selling everything thing and going with one board would u be limiting yourself to pretty much one synth, i have heard the demos...many of the creamware instruments have the same creamware sound...and personally i get bored getting the same sound, which is why i own multipule...and personally i find software limiting also...because it makes everything visual, there is no touch involed...which i had problems getting some sort of feeling in a song...because everything was too squared out and iced over...

peace
Blank