Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 29.03.2005, 09:19 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimleyj
I just downloaded OS2.0 for the V-Synth ... blew my socks off!!!!
The new supersaw, feedback and x-mod oscs are awesome.
Yeah, the JP80x0 is a great synth and so is the v-synth. It took awfully long that they realized that their JP80x0 is one of the best synths they have ever made and imported those oscillators to v-synth.

Roland is a funny company. It seems that they never really understand what they are doing and what features that customers want but by accident they sometimes bring a very good synth out. I guess they haven't realized yet why the tb303 sold so much and still remains very sought after synth. Their variOS 303 demo sounds a joke. They don't have a clue for what sounds people use the 303 for. Also their onboard synth demos are super funny. I'm not sure what kind of music they listen to in Japan but those demos must be the worst ever made. But it's still interesting to see that they sometimes build a new good synth BY ACCIDENT!
Old 29.03.2005, 10:53 AM
This forum member lives here

To be honest.......since all the R&D has been done already....I dont understand why it is Roland cant reamake genuinely analog Jupiters and TB's again. Production costs could be minimised......I would have thought the profit margin would have been greater now that back in the 80's.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 29.03.2005, 04:47 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
To be honest.......since all the R&D has been done already....I dont understand why it is Roland cant reamake genuinely analog Jupiters and TB's again. Production costs could be minimised......I would have thought the profit margin would have been greater now that back in the 80's. DS
I have been thinking about the same too. Would I buy a new SH101 with midi and patch memory or a juno106, of course! I don't want to buy those 20-30 year old second hand synths anymore which are in poor condition and can break down any day. I had a Juno106 and once had to open it to replace one of the faders and I was shocked when I saw the circuits and cabling. The power cord inside the synth for example was so weak that it came loose when I opened the synth's cover. I don't understand people who drop their synths or make scratches on their surfaces. HORRIBLE! All my synths are in 100% condition. I don't like people who don't take care of their musical instruments. And it doesn't matter how old the synth is. If a user takes care of his/her synths they will be like new after 20 years too.

But to answer the original "question", digital micro processors and memory are cheaper than analog LSI chips and altough they cost the same the manufacturer would have to use many times more of those analog chips compared to 1 or 2 DSPs which can calculate everything the synth needs. So Roland makes more money with digital technology than analog. That's true and sad.
Old 29.03.2005, 05:10 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
Quote:
I think the new V-rack is going to give the TI a very good run for it's money.

unlikely...
I'm not too sure it won't. I had a V-Synth and can tell you there is a lot more to it than first impressions give. Strickly as a sound creation tool it is pretty powerful.

I am getting a TI and a V-Synth XT to make sure I have all the bases covered. That's right... TWO WAITING LISTs.
Old 29.03.2005, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
....Also their onboard synth demos are super funny. I'm not sure what kind of music they listen to in Japan but those demos must be the worst ever made.....
buhahaaahahahaha, so so true!

I think I remember reading one time that it's something to do with the Japs not wanting to use the instruments for which they're not primarily designed for....

...Such, that they read the manual, and then use the instrument exactly as per the manual, in a tame and timid way.... As opposed to breaking the rules and really stretching the envelope and breaking new ground.

They would learn a lot from European dance music production techniques.
Old 29.03.2005, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
To be honest.......since all the R&D has been done already....I dont understand why it is Roland cant reamake genuinely analog Jupiters and TB's again. Production costs could be minimised......I would have thought the profit margin would have been greater now that back in the 80's.
Hi DS, I think it's to do with reliability and profit margins. With digital DSP, all they need is to do the original programming, and then the chips/processors cost tu'pence to manufacture from thereafter.... Bang!, large profit margins and long-lasting reliability, with poor (but lots of, 'cos it looks good on paper) sounds. In the running to get even more sales via impressive specifications (on paper), they often bypass the fact that fewer, top-quality voices are worth more than 128+ shit ones.

Thus, the only real problem is when they don't progress or advance in the execution of their DSPs, along with advances in technology... And instead churn out the same old shit time and time again. The Boss SP505 (circa 2002), for example, I listened to a demo of it the other day and it sounded identical (the exact same samples) as my MC505 did back in 1997. Dreadful. I think that a lot of the programmers and sound-designers must never actually listen to any real music outside of the factory, in order to get it wrong so badly!

[Edit, oops, FSD covered this in his above post. That'll teach me to read the rest of the thread before replying! ]
Old 29.03.2005, 06:34 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Well I've got bags under my eyes from being up all night with OS2 for the V. The hole in my sonic arsenal created by selling my VirusB in December has been filled and I think I'm also going to flog my Juno 106 on eBay. The huge spectrum of sounds you can create is staggering. I only wish there was a third or even fourth osc per voice, but it is possible to layer patches (and of course resample and Variphrase an osc).
A lot has changed overnight, and I never thought I'd say it, but the TI will need to be pretty damn special at this stage for me to consider buying it.
-g
Old 30.03.2005, 06:08 AM
Definately caught something...
Analog Synth Dsp Lover

that vsynth is nice eh?
Old 03.04.2005, 10:31 PM
Am starting to like this forum

I have the V-synth also.....

Great synth and love it dearly.....very easy to learn as well. It kick's out amazing stuff !!!

The latest OS update was released a few days ago BTW
Old 07.04.2005, 10:16 PM

Its weird.....but from what ive heard of the V-synth I havent been too impressed. Having said that (and here comes the contradiction!)...am interested in the new 'user-friendly' D50 update. Now that could really rock. Anyone tried it yet?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....