Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 29.01.2005, 06:07 PM
New here
New here

Default MPC1000 or MC-909 or RS7000 ?

I'm debating on a sampler / groovebox and wanted to get opinions. Please!!

I've been shopping these three listed in the subject, and all appear to be decent. Priced from highest to lowest are MPC1000, MC-909 and RS7000. Which would probably be the best value? Or, is there another product I should consider?

I'm hoping to pick up an Access Virus TI, or perhaps an Access Virus C at a bargain price in the next 45 days.... so which of those three might best compliment my upcoming Virus? Or, if I get a TI, is ther as much need for one of these samplers/ groove boxes? My focus will be Techno / Trance type of music with inspiration from the likes of Tiesto, Oakenfold, Armin, Van Dyk, BT, etc.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 29.01.2005, 06:13 PM
This forum member lives here

If you have a computer, software can emulate these and do more. The only advantage to having those boxes are the immediate sounds in the 909 or 7000 and the pads to trigger sequences, or program drums. If you have a computer, you could use, say Battery 2, and get an akai mpd16. Software is defenitely the cheaper way to go.
Also, on the TI you will need a computer to program your own arpegiations via its editor. Some food for thought.
Old 29.01.2005, 08:05 PM

Hi. I have had both the yamaha and the roland.

These machines have two parts: the sequencer and the sound module, that uses samples, not a real synth.

From my experience the yamaha is the better sequencer by far: easy to use, easy to edit and user-friendly controls (once you master them). Its also very comfortable to use live and the layout makes it very easy to alter, combine, etc.. patterns live. The sound module is poor though. Some nice sounds here and there, but overall its bad. Very limited tweaking and the effects are quite poor. You can do nice stuff, but its very very limited.

The roland is the other way around: better synth part, although limited, but worse sequencer part (very messy and not so intuitive live). Typical roland sounds, especially drumkits.

I'm looking to get an mpc1000 second hand, so I cant comment yet.

If you want to buy an all-in-one module and dont have any other synths or computer, and never had, try a second hand 505 or a RM1x. I'd go for the rm1x, should cost around 200?. Both 909 and rs7000 share the same sound modules as their respective little brothers, and the other differences, while big, arent really necessary. If you really like it, resell it and get the bigger one.

BTW, at 900? the mpc1000 is the cheapest of the 3, but I think its thought to be more of a percusion sampler, and with no sound module, so maybe you would need more gear.

If you are not going to do live, maybe you should look into getting a computer.
Old 30.01.2005, 06:50 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have a Roland JX-305 right now which has most of the MC-505 Groovebox funcitons. This got me looking at the MC-909. I have lots of computers, I run an IT company, so I should be OK there and will look into the software.

Since I spend most of my day on a PC, I really like the thought of laying my hands on equipment versus sliding things around with a mouse. However, it sounds like I should look at the software side and consider.

When I look at the Access VIrus stuff.... I feel like I just ogtta have one. I wanted to build up my other hardware too and wasn't sure how much I could do with the TI and a PC.
Old 30.01.2005, 11:48 PM

I understand you. I've had computer all my life and always used cubase and vsts, but I prefer using hardware. Right now I use a second hand rm1x as my sequencer, and also use a VirusC, a machinedrum and an evolver.

Its not that much about the sound quality, but more about the interface and doing the songs live rather than sequencing all the stuff in sitting in front of my computer. The production is less elaborate, but its ten times the fun.

After all this I must say its easier and cleaner to do everything on your computer.
Old 31.01.2005, 09:27 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

I?ve never used the Akai or MC909 but I have owned a Yamaha RM1x for about 5-6 years and I think it?s the most versatile and quickest sequencer for make tunes with. It?s absolutely unbelievable. I think it?s even better than most software sequencers around. It totally kicks pro tools ass!!! The RS7000 should be the same machine with better on-board sounds.
Old 31.01.2005, 11:21 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

i saw a friend working with a yamaha qy700 sequencer and i really wonder how u find the hardware sequencers easier to use than software ones! can't get it!
it had no visual interface, everything is in text mode, black on greenish grey... and it has kind of black & white pads to simulate 1-octave keyboard keys ... weeeeiiiiiiiird
Old 31.01.2005, 12:52 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembr
i saw a friend working with a yamaha qy700 sequencer and i really wonder how u find the hardware sequencers easier to use than software ones! can't get it!
it had no visual interface, everything is in text mode, black on greenish grey... and it has kind of black & white pads to simulate 1-octave keyboard keys ... weeeeiiiiiiiird
When you really get inside one, it is easier. And who really uses the pads? Everyone has to have atleast one keyboard right? I use the pads only for step sequencing.
Old 31.01.2005, 01:48 PM

Hatembr, its actually quite easy to sequence, but when I try to do something more complicated I do it in cubase first. Once finished I hit rec on my rm1x and play on cubase and, voila, my sequence is in my rm1x!
Old 31.01.2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unio mystica
I think it?s even better than most software sequencers around. It totally kicks pro tools ass!!!
???????????