Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 31.01.2005, 09:21 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembr
hmmm chorus on the bass? i don't think it is a good idea, it will bring the bass sound to the front and i guess it will sound weird and detached from the kick imho.
I didn?t mean to use chorus on bass sounds. I drifted out of the topic. I?ve been trying to use chorus on lead sounds for example. To thicken them or make them sound more transparent. I never use chorus on bass. It doesn?t work.
Old 31.01.2005, 04:31 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Dunkel
I have to throw the towel in the ring and say you?r right. I just can?t explain why
cool, now i'm sure i stopped taking lsd !!

seriously, i thought about it, i think the difference between layering and using 0-detune and panspread is the following:
- when u double the tracks it is like having two sounds out of 2 different boxes with 2 different filters, 2 different fx..... which gives a certain sound.
- when using unison with n voices, they all go through the same amp env, filters, fx..... which logically makes it sound different then two layered sounds.
i think it is as simple as this.... ?
Hmm, i always thought of it as the unison being last point of the chain and not that it was detuned and panspread layers going through the filters and effects too. I thought the unison just doubled (or tripled, qaurdubled, etc.) the output sound slightly detuned and spread into a stereo image. Is it me that?s wrong here. Can anyone who actually knows this tell me if this is true or false?!

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 31.01.2005, 08:22 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I thought that Unison stemmed right from the first block - the oscillators, triggered by the pitch - and then that (summed) signal went through the filter and amp blocks as just one signal. Therefore the filter and filter saturation would have a direct effect on it - especially if the signal is made stronger by the addition of two or more duplicate oscillators (in unison). The effects including the distortion come last.

Maybe Marc or Ben might be able to clear this up.
Old 01.02.2005, 04:27 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

I think chorus sounds great on bass as long as it's subtle. Again, it depends on what kind of effect you're going for. Listen to this sample, I'm pretty sure there's chorus on the bass line and it sounds gorgeous:

Bass Sample

-REMIDI
Old 01.02.2005, 06:50 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

dj remedi:

nice sample, whose track is that ?

onkel:

assuming it is the last point of the chain, would that mean we can have more than 2 filters per part? certainly not, so i'm pretty sure it is at the very beginning.

timo:

yep! i think mar or ben would have the final word
Old 01.02.2005, 01:09 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
assuming it is the last point of the chain, would that mean we can have more than 2 filters per part? certainly not, so i'm pretty sure it is at the very beginning.
Errr, now i?m really confused What i mean with "last point of chain" is that the oscillators go to the filter and to the envelope, etc. and when the sound has been formed to the last point it?s copied, detuned and panspread. But when i think about i this sounds really wrong. I guess the unison is already in the oscillators then (hypersaw?)

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 01.02.2005, 02:22 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

REMIDI: This is more like a bass synth...meaning that this sits right on top of the actual bass sound(often a sine wave, or triangle..can use saw but not the best for very low sounds)

so yeah...chorus in these type of sounds are almost a must these days, as long as you don't apply chorus to the bottom part of the bass sounds.
Old 01.02.2005, 02:31 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Dunkel
Errr, now i?m really confused What i mean with "last point of chain" is that the oscillators go to the filter and to the envelope, etc. and when the sound has been formed to the last point it?s copied, detuned and panspread. But when i think about i this sounds really wrong.
hmmm now i know what u mean.... i think only marc or ben can confirm this....

Quote:
I guess the unison is already in the oscillators then (hypersaw?)
yeah that's it we can dream
Old 01.02.2005, 05:58 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Hey Hatembr, that sample was taken from "Agnelli & Nelson - Holding Onto Nothing (Deep Mix)" - amazing trance tune!

I see your point, MADSTATION

The actual "bass" sound is pretty hard to hear in headphones; but that bass synth does sound pretty sweet, doesn't it?

Good bass is all about layering....

-REMIDI
Old 02.02.2005, 12:15 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

http://fileserv4.soundclick.com/fast...eoforchids.mp3

thats a tune i wrote which is pretty bass heavy. the virus you already is a MONSTER bass machine.

the one in this song is just a single instance of albino though. sine wave bass. low resonance, low cutoff. in key of E around C2 kind of range. theres 2 fruity compressors on it. a fruity filter and in addition to that theres another fruity compressor on the master channel. everything above 6,000hz is shelved off (using a fruity parametric EQ). overall its had the living fucking shit compressed out of it and as a result its fairly thick. my recommendation is if you cant get 'liquidize your organs' kind of bass straight out of an ms2000 (and lets face it, theres not many patches you can build straight off that just 'work') then consider using various EQ, filter and compression tools to really fatten it up[/quote]