Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 04.02.2009, 10:32 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbroad View Post
Hi folks

How many of us here are Jarre fans?
I'm a huge JMJ fan! I believe my love of electronic dance music was inspired by JMJ. I would go nuts if we could come up with a JMJ Virus patch. I would be happy to contribute but I just got my Virus Polar Ti|2 and I'm not much of a sound programmer. Still learning how to use those LFOs creatively.
Old 05.02.2009, 10:23 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Not really a Jarre fan meself, but am a huge fan of some of the other 70's synth guys:

Tangerine Dream mid-70's to mid-80's period (not keen on the other material), Vangelis, Klaus Shulze, Robert Shroeder, Johannes Schmoelling's solo material are particular favourites. Ricochet Pt2 also a favourite of mine.

However - any tips on re-creating patches commonly used by any of those guys (Jarre included) would be very interesting to read.

I haven't delved too deeply into the details on exactly how those guys did their stuff, but there are some obvious bits and pieces.

TD in the mid 70's were very fond of what sounds like a Mellotron flute. Not sure if they did it via Mellotron or had another way of reproducing it though.

Vangelis leads (I think) were typically pretty simple and raw Minimoog patches. Nothing overly complicated. He was also famously a heavy user of the Yamaha CS80 for strings etc. I guess that's something quite hard to emulate with something like the virus since it had a fairly unique polyphonic aftertouch feature.

A wiki page or forum section describing how to recreate specific sounds from the ground up would be brilliant IMO. Full descriptions might allow people to come up with methods for reproducing on a variety of synths.

Good thread!

Old 06.02.2009, 10:24 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

The main pad of Oxygene 5 makes heavy use of the Electric Mistress flanger. I think that is the key to that sound.

One of the sounds I always liked was the Oxygene 1 massive bass sound that arrives about 3/4 through the track.

Yes, the Virus needs to take on the synths of the glorious 70s...

Next stop... Magic Fly!
Old 06.02.2009, 01:18 PM
New here
New here

Yep. Maybe Howard, Ben or Marc want to take up the challenge with us?

What say you, Access?
Old 16.02.2009, 03:57 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via MSN to fornax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Dunkel View Post
I remember a guy named Per Kristian from Norway that made Equinox 5 only using a Virus KB some years ago. It was very good and sounded like the real thing. You should contact him. Here´s a link to the original post: http://infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=24408. The links for the tune doesn´t work anymore but you can find the song on his homepage http://www.perkristian.net/music/per...-equinoxe5.mp3 plus some more a haven´t heard yet on this page: http://www.perkristian.net/studio_viruskb.shtml (scroll down to the bottom of the page)...
Hello Access Virus users.

You talked about a soundset from Per Kristian Risvik. I did not check it out my self. But here it is: http://www.fornax.no/access-virus-ti/soundsets/ Tell me if you get problems with the url. I am hosting the site on my laptop (still).