Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 15.03.2006, 04:08 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default TI - Knob response problem - could someone compare with me.

I have a problem with all my knobs not responding per the knob response edit settings in my TI Keyboard. I prefer "snap" but the "snap" function works for about 1 or 2 programs at a time after setting it, then it doesn't work again unless I go into the config menu and exit without changing anything (since it's already on snap I don't need to change it) then it works again for 1 or 2 patches, etc. BUT, even then it still doesn't quite work properly because on the rare occassion that the "snap" does seem to work, the preset program values are goofy. For instance, I notice that the soft knob settings for nearly ALL of my programs have a preset value of [127] (which my understanding means that the preset patch is currently saved at a value of [127] for whatever effect is assigned to the respective soft knob) so when I rotate the knob all the way clockwise to value [127] and then start to rotate toward [0] the effect jumps to an extreme change in the sound... in other words, the actual preset soft knob setting is actually [0] and not [127].

My understanding of snap is that when the knob passes through the preset saved value then the movement of the knob takes affect. My problem is that not only does the "snap" not work most of the time, that when it does, most of the preset programs show an incorrect preset value.

To get around this I essentially have to rotate each and every knob I plan to use so that the value doesn't jump, which if I want to have each knob set to sound like the original program sound then I have to rotate each one of thos knobs to the original preset value. This is an incredible amount of time to simply play a single program with live knob movements! Not acceptable. I'd waste half my day just manually resetting each program I want to play. I loaded OS1.09, then tried OS1.08 same thing. OS1.09 is now loaded back in my system.

So, if some of you could do the following and just report your experience here, that would help me out:

1. rotate all three of your soft knobs to [64] (or about midway)

2. in config, set your knob response to "snap"

3. go to program "RAM-A 15 SlowSilkMS"

4. play and start to rotate soft knob #3 (the far right knob) - What does the preset prgram setting show? is it [0] or [127]? Please state this in your reply.

5. If it's [127], rotate your knob all the way to [127] and it should snap to that setting and now start rotating the knob back toward [0]. Does the sound of the width suddenly 'jump' to a value of 127 as you just begin to rotate the knob?

Please report this. If your TI does the same thing as mine I'll worry a lot less and will help me out a lot in determining what I need to do (like exchange the synth). I e-mailed and got a reply from Access and they don't know what is wrong at the moment.

Also, note that this problem is not unique to this program. it's like this with almost ALL my programs.

Thank you,

J.
Old 15.03.2006, 02:19 PM
Complete Newbie

Default For the TI

By the way, this is for the TI. I did not mention this in my subject line. Sorry. - J.
Old 15.03.2006, 03:58 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

I didnt get a chance to check, but it does sound familar.

I would suggest you copy this post to Access support just to be sure they know about it so it gets fixed.
Old 15.03.2006, 04:16 PM
Complete Newbie

Hi Khazul - Thanks for the reply. I did send a note to Access but they replied saying they aren?t aware of this and that they don?t have a problem with this, but it would seem to me that this is really an OS bug that for some reason Access isn?t finding even though I think it?s quite obvious.

Once again, if a few people could respond letting me know their experience it would be greatly appreciated. It should only take about 5 minutes of your time to check and post your results.

J.
Old 15.03.2006, 04:57 PM
Newborn
Newborn

I have exactly the same issue on my TI kb.

In Snap mode, turning any of the 3 soft knobs always shows a default value of 127 on the display. And turning the knob to that position and then backwards results in a sudden jump of the corresponding parameter.

Also, if you change the value assigned to any of the soft knobs, the position of the soft knob is not stored in memory after a couple of seconds. For example, if you turn soft knob one to 127 and then backwards to 80 and leave it there for a bit, you'll have to activate the Snap again.

All of the other knobs on my TI seem to work perfectly in Snap mode.

So it seems to me as if the TI suffers from a short-term memory loss with its soft knob positions. Nor does it seem to have the ability to store the soft knob values in any patch.

I hope this is some sort of a relief for you. I rarely use the soft knobs for editing but still I'm surprised that I never noticed this problem before. Thank you for pointing it out!

j.
Old 15.03.2006, 05:19 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

jaysomething - perhaps you should raise this with Access support as well. Developers often only start to look at something they cannot replicate after numerous reportings of the same issue.

I know - I work in a software development house.
Old 15.03.2006, 06:16 PM
Complete Newbie

Jaysomething - thank you! (and anyone else who does or does not have this problem speak up, may be interesting to discover whether or not everyone suffers from this bug or only a few).

Anyone willing should send this bug report to Access since the more they receive the more likely they are to fix it. Again, to me it's an obvious bug and would be easy to fix but my reply from them did not indicate that it's a problem.

I don't necessarily use the soft knobs to edit a sound either but I do use them to tweak the sound in real time and as it currently stands, the knob response is not working correctly for the expected result.

Also, I thought that the knob response wasn't working properly for my other knobs, but I may be wrong, so thanks for including that extra info.

I can live with most of the bugs right now, but this one seems like most everyone would think is important to fix.

J.
Old 15.03.2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysomething
Nor does it seem to have the ability to store the soft knob values in any patch.
The TI does not store the positions of peformance controls with patches (sadly). Mod wheel, pedal, and soft knobs and a bunch of other MIDI CCs are counted as performance controls.
Old 15.03.2006, 08:27 PM

Now you sound like Paul
Old 15.03.2006, 09:28 PM

Me? LOL

Reminds me - read his Radias review today in SOS