Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 15.03.2012, 11:19 PM
New here
New here

Default Virus B Desktop - 99 Problems

Ok well not exactly 99 problems...but 1 big problem is enough!

I am new here in terms of posting (first post), but I have been lurking here for quite some time, both before and after I made my Virus B purchase.

I did some searching here and didn't find a thread containing my issue. Maybe I missed over one, so if this has been resolved elsewhere I apologize and will continue my search.

So my Virus B desktop module recently went into the shop for the following issue:

When I booted up one day, the OS would just bootloop over n over and never fully get into the operating system. So basically every 3 seconds reboot, reboot, reboot. I tried doing a hard and soft reset and was able to get it to stop rebooting, but then no sound would come from the audio outs.

With this taking place I contacted the local shop that is one of the very few certified Access tech companies.

After a month of them having it and making pretty much no point to contact me, i called and asked what the deal was.

They said that something may be wrong with 1 of the 15 chips on the board. And that in order to fix it they would have to replace all 15 chips because they do not know which chip specifically is causing the issue. So what is the "damage in my wallet to fix this" I asked. They quoted me about 450-500 dollars when all said and done. Which to me seems insane because I only paid 500 for the machine itself.

Really I just want to see if anyone else has had a similar issue and if they were able to fix it themselves. Or could even recommend somewhere for me to get a second opinion. I really have no plan to pay that much money to fix it (original quote was 210, which was FAR more reasonable I thought).

So right now I'm just dealing with a really nice looking paper weight. It is pretty though with wood panels hah!

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback here!!
Old 16.03.2012, 06:09 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Its got to be 2$ in parts but the circuit board is likely SMD (tiny tiny parts) which is a mastery to unsolder\solder without damaging your board.
You should contact access and ask if they might have a complete replacement in some dark basement around the factory. It will likely cost you less and replacing a complete board is really plug and play.
Old 17.03.2012, 03:02 AM
New here
New here

Thanks for the reply! I will contact Access and ask them that!

I'm definitely not a master at soldering, especially tiny parts! So that task is not mine for the taking haha!
Old 17.03.2012, 03:38 AM
New here
New here

I was also thinking that it could be the power supply going bad. I mean the synth is 10+ years old. So maybe it could be something that simple?