Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 03.06.2006, 09:47 PM

Default Another weekend, another song...

People here (what few of us there are ) seem to enjoy my synth dabblings, so here's another:

http://homepage.mac.com/mwalthius/Wa...NF5_060306.mp3

This link should take you to the MP3.

Just something quick I did last weekend. Jazz influenced by Weather Report, perhaps.... Used my TI Polar for lots of sounds, but there's a whole bunch of different synths being utilized:

Rhodes, log drum, violin, multiple drum kits - Yamaha Motif 6 synth

Electric bass, clav, tenor sax - Roland JV1080 synth module with multiple expansion cards

Square synth leads, brass synth lead, misc synth effects - Access Virus TI Polar synth

Bosendorfer piano - MOTU Mach Five sampler

Sawtooth synth lead - Arturia ARP 2600V softsynth

Happy listening!
Old 04.06.2006, 12:03 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

That trumpet patch is fantastic!

Did you program it yourself, or did it come with the Polar? Does it use the Moog filter or the Virus filter? Also, what kind of oscillators does it use? 2 saws? Wavetables? Something else?

Good tune too Keep em coming!

Also, what part of chi-town do you herald from?
Old 04.06.2006, 12:24 AM
This forum member lives here

What I like most about your songs is the playing!!!! You're a freak man!!! Those Violins sound awesome...

Good stuff!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 04.06.2006, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
What I like most about your songs is the playing!!!! You're a freak man!!! Those Violins sound awesome...

Good stuff!

Ditto!

How long have you been playing?
Old 04.06.2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Array

Did you program it yourself, or did it come with the Polar? Does it use the Moog filter or the Virus filter? Also, what kind of oscillators does it use? 2 saws? Wavetables? Something else?

Thank you very much.

The brass/trumpet-sounding synth lead is a slightly tweaked Virus patch called "Manfman." I don't know much about the patch, except that is not TI-specific, as it also exists on my Indigo (Virus B).

I live in the western suburbs of Chicago, although I was born on the south side.
Old 04.06.2006, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee

Good stuff!

Ditto!

How long have you been playing?
Thank you very very much!

I've been playing for a LONG time. I studied classical piano for 13 years (starting in 1963 at age six), and began fiddling with synthesizers back in the early 70's. I haven't stopped.
Old 04.06.2006, 06:02 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw7
Quote:

Thank you very much.

The brass/trumpet-sounding synth lead is a slightly tweaked Virus patch called "Manfman." I don't know much about the patch, except that is not TI-specific, as it also exists on my Indigo (Virus B).

I live in the western suburbs of Chicago, although I was born on the south side.
Ahhh. Cool! My friend's father was born and raised on the southside. He eventually wrote some books about it. Here's an interview with the guy:

http://www.laurahird.com/newreview/r...interview.html

Myself, I'm in the north suburbs, but I lived in Lincoln Park for my first few years of DePaul.

Regarding synths, how does the stuff you have now, particularly the TI Polar stack up to the synths you've played with in the 70's? I figure that you are one of the few people on this forum who could give us some proper insight on the matter
Old 04.06.2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Regarding synths, how does the stuff you have now, particularly the TI Polar stack up to the synths you've played with in the 70's? I figure that you are one of the few people on this forum who could give us some proper insight on the matter
I lived in LA and played in an original prog rock band (Genesis/Supertramp/Van Halen/The Cars/ELP) from the mid-70's - early 80's. Much of the music was keyboard-based (as I composed it), although we had an AMAZING guitarist (also a concert violinist, with perfect pitch), and our drummer was Keith Moon's evil twin. We thought we were pretty hot shit at the time, as things go.

My rig was an ARP Odyssey, ARP Quadra, ARP Omni 2, Oberheim OB-1, Fender Rhodes, and Yamaha CP-70B electric grand. I had an Echoplex, one of the first Eventide DDLs, and Eventide harmonizer, 12-channel board, and a 1000-watt tri-amped PA just for the keyboards. Golly, those were the good-ol' days. But the fact is, I wouldn't trade my Polar (nor my Indigo) for any or all of that stuff (that cost about $27,000 back then).

The Odyssey sounded great, but we had to plug it in for an hour before showtime (in the dressing room) so that it wouldn't go sharp as it warmed up during the show. Our singer had to talk between songs so that I could set up a new sound. With no onboard effects, the Echoplex or DDL had to be adjust manually between songs as well. When I finally got the Oberheim OB-1, it was a godsend, because it could actually store eight patches (I think) in memory. Unfortunately, it never sounded as good as the Odyssey, and used to go out of tune too.

The ARP Quadra was a $5000 beast that gave us those big Tony Banks / Genesis prog rock pads. It looked cool and could do monstrous layered sounds, but always gave me grief during shows. Each key had a "contact wire" that touched a metal rod when the key was depressed, and these things were ALWAYS breaking. Same with the Omni 2. Replacing a broken contact wire meant opening the thing up and soldering a new one in, so when a key went out you had to play the rest of the show without that note. Unbelievable.

Of course the CP-70B and Rhodes had ongoing tuning and maintenance issues as well. The Yamaha piano would have to be tuned every third gig or so -- I'd have to hire a tuner to come out to a club and tune the thing onstage (with headphones while the latest Boston hit was blasting thru the PA). And the Rhodes was always a mess -- the tines would get out of whack and I'd have to constantly have the thing set up, tuned, re-voiced, etc.

And all of this stuff WEIGHED A TON, such that whenever we got paid I would give most/all of the money to the road crew, because they worked harder than I did setting all of this stuff up and tearing it down three nights a week.

The one thing I do miss from the 70's is that keyboard players were truly considered to be wizards. There were no rompler synths or Viruses with thousands of professionally-created factory patches... Knowing how to program the things was considered an art unto itself, and the ability to tweak and change sounds quickly during/between songs was considered to be an enviable skill. But I wouldn't turn back the clock - no way - the instruments we have at our fingertips now are AMAZING. While the TI may have its gremlins, it is truly the most awesome synthesizer ever created. This is without a doubt. If you could take a TI Polar back to 1976 in a time machine, you could sell it to some wannabe Rick Wakeman for about $50,000.

Retro is cool, for nostalgic reasons, and well, because, retro is always cool. But the Access synths absolutely smoke anything ever made by Moog, ARP, or Oberheim, hands down.

Just my two cents, thanks for reading.
Old 04.06.2006, 10:30 PM

Wow! Great story...

Im a big fan of bands like King Crimson, ELP, Genesis, YES etc....it would've been awesome being around in those days. Listening to the organ solo in "Close to the edge" by YES, just makes my day.

And it's funny how people that werent there, crave for the classics, and you were there, and embracing the new technology fully with the VSTi's and VA's...

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 04.06.2006, 11:13 PM

That was then...

This is now...