Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 03.05.2004, 11:07 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Rx7000
Default Help (Choirs)

Hi everybody, Ive been thinking about buying a Access Virus and would just like to say I have been reading the forum and I am very impressed by the sound clips / knowledge that you all possess and respect this a great deal.

Let me tell you a little about what im looking for. I am currently involved in Metal / Melodic Death style Genre (Hypocrisy, Gardenian etc). I am looking for *the synth* for Choir, Strings, Atmopshere, Pads etc. From what ive seen of the virus it has all the atmopshere and pads you could ask for, and the sound quality is AMAZING, but does it have the plethora of Choir customization and versatility I seek? Any help at all would be great, if it so happens that the virus isnt the gun for the job, any help in the right direction towards what is would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and thank you for your help.

Justin

(My aim is XxlegalizexX, feel free to contact me directly as I am eager to find out if the access is for me).
Old 03.05.2004, 11:58 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

well with 2 filter you can get some nice choir sounds
if you run the virus thru another filter even software you can get very nice format sound (usualy needs a minimum of 3 hp filters but can also be done with 2)
Old 03.05.2004, 12:03 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Im looking for something that can do good sounds right out of the box, would you say its fairly easy to produce these sounds or does it take lots of tweaking?
Old 03.05.2004, 01:01 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

yeah tomer is right, but for good choir the best thing is to buy a good sample CD like the AKAI Symphony of Voices.
Old 03.05.2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Yup. Virus can't produce authentic choir sounds. Only synthethic sounds. So it might be better to look for a workstation and Virus B/C. With that setup you would have nice samplings and analog sounds in one package.
Old 03.05.2004, 08:13 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Ill be honest, I dont know much about the synth world, when I sample something, how does that work, like how would I get the cd of say choirs and then use that as a instrument?
Old 03.05.2004, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7000
when I sample something, how does that work, like how would I get the cd of say choirs and then use that as a instrument?
Sample CD's contain samples, which are ordinary audio files. For example a choir sample CD contains choir notes, like bunch of aah's and ooh's etc. Then you load the samples into a sampler (workstations usually have a built-in sampler) and you can play the choir samples from keyboard.
Old 03.05.2004, 10:23 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Quote:
when I sample something, how does that work, like how would I get the cd of say choirs and then use that as a instrument?
Sample CD's contain samples, which are ordinary audio files. For example a choir sample CD contains choir notes, like bunch of aah's and ooh's etc. Then you load the samples into a sampler (workstations usually have a built-in sampler) and you can play the choir samples from keyboard.
Ah very cool, so basically a sample cd is just more presets / instruments on storage. For the type of thing im looking for, do you think id be better off with the virus or maybe a triton le?
Old 03.05.2004, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ah very cool, so basically a sample cd is just more presets / instruments on storage.
Basicly, yes.

Quote:
For the type of thing im looking for, do you think id be better off with the virus or maybe a triton le?
I don't know how much you have money to spend so can't say anything specific. If you don't have tons of money and need choirs and other sampled stuff you'll have to cope with a workstation.

On workstation sector I wouldn't go for Triton Le. It has bad keyboard and the sampling feature requires an upgrade which costs money. There are used basic Tritons with sampling around for a price of new Le so keep your eyes open. Tritons offer good variety of lead samples so it's very good workstation for metal oriented players.

And as always: Try out different workstations. People have different taste and there's no absolute truth. In the same price range with Triton Le + sampling there are basic Tritons, Roland Fantom-S and Yamaha Motif6 (all three used).
Old 03.05.2004, 11:31 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Id like to spend around 1000, I am willing to spend 2k if i can get the end all end for the rest of my life thing ill need.

Im kinda confused though. A synth has sample memory, so when you record a live sample and use it, it saps that memory? But if you have a cd of samples you load onto the synth is that the same thing? Im kind of confused as to how this works.