Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 13.02.2004, 02:29 PM
Veteran
Veteran

why not just pick up a jp80XX for a couple hundred...Or just be happy with what u have....

peace
Blank
Old 13.02.2004, 06:51 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
why not just pick up a jp80XX for a couple hundred...Or just be happy with what u have....

peace
Blank
hehe emulating synths is the eternal chanllenge
Old 13.02.2004, 07:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran

This is funny because when i show the virus to some1 who has no experience with synths what so ever the first thing they ask is oh can u make a piano/violin/clarinet/sax sound...and of course u can get similar to those but not exact with it...and the individuals look down on it, like its not worth being an instrument...and the point being that it is an instrument, its own instrument...u dont hear a nylon guitar trying to sound like a steel guitar...yeah it has all the same parts but own key difference the materials its made with, which the materials the VA's r made with is pretty much the same except the OS'...which is pretty much like those strings...u get all the same properties of sound except slightly different...

if u want supersaw get a Jp80XX...otherwise dont waist the time because most of us still havent mastered the virus...and all that time waisted on emulating another synth could be used learning how to make unique sounds with that synth u spent atleast 1400 USD on or more...

this is funny too because u r trying to emulate a 500-600 USD synth...

Im just trying to warn u, u will end up spending too much time trying to emulate and in the end will not be satisfied with the results....

peace
Blank
Old 16.02.2004, 03:22 PM
New here
New here

Okay, I've tried a JP this week end and I was really impressed by the power of his leads sounds. In fact, I believe it's better than Virus for the big leads for trance and hardtrance music. I'm gonna buy it straigt away
Old 17.03.2004, 07:47 PM

I've owned a JP-8000 for around 5-6 years or so, but it has definintely taken a back seat to my Virus C. The supersaw leads ARE nice though.

http://blueswan.mymusic.dk
Old 18.03.2004, 11:43 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I am waiting for my Indigo (v1) to arrive so I can't try it as yet, but if it's possible, try and place each individual sawtooth in a different part of the stereo field. It wont be like 'modulation' or anything, but it'll just sound a lot thicker.

...That's how I noticed the SuperwaveP8 VST-I makes JP8K-type supersaw sounds.

Timo
Old 19.03.2004, 05:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

you could do that by using layering with lets say about 2-3 parts with different unison and paning
but i dont think the virus has enough voices so you going to have to record each part seperatly
i will try this today and let you know what i come up with
Old 16.07.2004, 10:41 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
you could do that by using layering with lets say about 2-3 parts with different unison and paning
but i dont think the virus has enough voices so you going to have to record each part seperatly
i will try this today and let you know what i come up with
yes panning is also very important, i've only used the jp vst (suerwave) but it seems that the panning of 2 oscillators also does a lot for that thick sound

try layering a simple trancesound on the virus about 7 times and tune them all a bit different and pan 3 layers a bit to the right and 4 to the left or vice versa...never tried it, but i'll try it tomorrow
Old 16.07.2004, 11:18 PM
Administrator

I reckon the proper supersaw might also layer saw waves with different (for want of a better word) "waveform-widths" (similar to pulse-width, but not just for square waves - more for altering the width ratio of cyclic waveforms).

See here:- http://www.sunesha.nu/virusforum/vie...?p=19221#19221

>>try layering a simple trancesound on the virus about 7 times and tune them all a bit different and pan 3 layers a bit to the right and 4 to the left or vice versa...never tried it, but i'll try it tomorrow

Yup, it'll certainly require a Multi, composed of differently programmed saw patches, rather than just a Single patch.

Anyone got a recording or sample of a JP8000 supersaw they could put up to illustrate the kind of thing we should be working towards?

Ta
Old 18.07.2004, 12:18 PM

I've just sampled a supersaw on my JP-8000. The Detune parameter is set to 50% and the Mix parameter is set to 100% (quite fat). The sample can be found here. No effects are being used.
Gearlist: Access Virus C, Clavia Nord Modular Key (fully expanded), Clavia Nord Lead 2 Rack, Roland D-10, Roland JP-8000, Yamaha A-3000, Roland MC-303, Boss Dr. Synth DS-330, Roland RPC-1 + VM-3100Pro, Adam P11-A.
Software: Cubase SL 1.0
Soon: Chameleon mkII