Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 11.10.2004, 09:17 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Default Duplicate - Crystal Clear

Another track here for you to listen to.

http://www.kushdee.force9.co.uk/Tracks/CrystalClear.mp3

This is a joint effort with a guy called Christian Fitton. We clubbed all studio equippment together to produce tracks like this.

Let me know what you think,

Martyn

Edit: This track has now been removed so the link will no longer work.
Old 12.10.2004, 04:35 AM
This forum member lives here

Good to hear some of your tracks!

Things I dont like:

1. Snare - I find programming drums real hard, cos They usually end up being quite lifeless, and I sense a bit of this here. I think it may help if you vary the velocity of some of your snare hits, which may give the drums a more 'human' feel, and also add a few layers of snare. It kinda sounds like you used only one snare? Try using 5 very different snares, and see what you can make. Also the kick could have a bit more punch. With dance based music, this is the driving force!

2. The thunder claps at the start are a bit much IMO. A bit cheesy??

Thats about it really! I like the arrangement, which is something I have alot of trouble with. The song builds quite nicely, and you have made good use of the vocals. I really like the scratching bits!!! And Im right into the dark and gritty edge......Lush vocals, with a gritty, dark undertone. And then going into the Prodigy-esque piano-rave style bit......Real cool!

I can really relate to this track, it has alot of elements in it that I like, and reminds me alot of the old 'dreamscape' tapes I used to buy, DJ SY, old school 90's era, with a 'Nu-Skool' breaks/garage edge.....

Nice one dude!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 12.10.2004, 12:36 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Thanks Jasedee,

I certainly agree with the percussion feedback. WE wrote this track about 2 years ago and hadn't even learnt of search marvelous things such as the panpots on a mixer - if you notice all the parts are in the centre!

The thunder is a bit overdone and cheesy, but it shows the limits of our soundbank at the time as it was the only thing we could use to create the atmosphere we wanted for the intro.

The vocal is the best part for me as originally it was a high pitched squeal with a spike in the spectrum that was horrible to listen to. I dropped the vocal down about 4 semitones and did a filter on the offending frequencies. I started with a high pitched euro pop vocal and ended with what I feel is quite a souly earthy black female voice, which then set the mood for the whole track.

When I get back home tonight I will post the original accapella on the webspace and you won't recognise it.

Anyway thanks for the feedback - I am very tempted to reopen this project and remix it (taking on your advice) - The whole track was done using a Yamaha A4000, a Yamaha A3000 and a Korg Z1. Things have changed a lot in 2 years and we both have our own studios capable of much better sound quality.

Ta,

Martyn
Old 12.10.2004, 12:55 PM

Makes a whole difference when you find out the background to a track, and what was used to create it, and for you especially, to see how far you have come now, and look back at what you achieved when what you had was limited in alot of ways.......

Sometimes the most creativity comes when you are in a not so ideal situation, with limited resources.

Keep em comin'

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 12.10.2004, 01:07 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Jasedee - I forgot it was you who has the acapellas - check out "The Knack - You Better".

If I remember correctly that is the vocal used.
Old 15.10.2004, 09:47 AM

I maybe like this one more than the other track, but that's more because it's more along the lines of my personal taste though. I like the general minimalistic feel (as my tracks reflect sometimes).

One thing that I'm noticing with both your tracks is that you limit them alot on the mastering stage by the sounds. The dynamics are really being crushed alot. It could be a pet hate I have with alot of the current electronic music though, but people seem to be putting volume over dynamics.

Drums - I don't mind the programming, but they seem to have an emty feel in a way. Not enough punch (specialy for this genre I rekon). The high end has more clarity than your last track though. I'd sugest layer another kick over this (maybe gated to create solid timing). The kick is better in this track too, with a little more oomph I'd get into it more.

Vocals - Too many digital artifacts. I'd find some original vocal sources (easier said than done though - trust me I know). Really sounds like over processing or the use of an MP3. I relaly like some of the ways you effect the Vocals and I can imagine with a fresh original source your tracks would take off more.

Synths - Like the synths, although the bass-end isn't bassey enough for me (personal choice maybe). The bass seems almost to lack power. Even a punchy gated stab bass would be nice (maybe used right could beef that kick up too). Pads are cool! Maybe my favourite sounds in the track would be the pads I rekon - quite full. Like your lead-in sounds alot too. Infact all the sounds I like except for the bass.

Some good work for sure. Good progression and nice interesting manipulation, but the produtcion lacks a little though.

Not meaning to offend by anything said - please don't take it as that. Just trying to be honest is all.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 15.10.2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynreid
Jasedee - I forgot it was you who has the acapellas - check out "The Knack - You Better".
I will check it out....

Edit: OK......I get it now! Nice work on the vocals!!!!! If your MP3 was the same as the one I have, you really have done some nice work with it.

The one I just listened to had a high pitched, 12kHz sine wave (or something) running through it, and sounded REALLY bad......

On listening to the original vocal, I must say that you really did make good use of it in your track, and it works nicely.....

Cheers,

Jase

Old 15.10.2004, 10:35 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Hollowcell,

No worrys - not offended in the least. As long as no-one insults my mum, my missus or my missus's mum, I'm happy!

Again thanks for the feedback - It would be nice to have the original vocal in wav format but no joy.

Have a listen as there is quite a striking difference.

Jasedee,

With the vocals I was simply very lucky. We found this vocal, liked it but soon realised it was unusable so I dropped it into Soundforge and started messing with it. Within 30 minutes I made it much more workable, but I have to confess it was a case of luck and guesswork. Still I learnt a lot from doing it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Martyn