Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 24.03.2010, 09:51 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Arrow Making some real ambient patches and whale noises

So ive been making allot of patches lately and i mean allot. When im making pads ill do anything from just making one patches in single mode to using the virus multi mode and stack patches there and if i really want to kill my cpu ill drag on my vst soft synths and really layer some stuff. Ill cut to the chase though i been really trying to get those whale noises or those pads that moan and are whaling and deep no pun intended. I did some trial and error didn't get to far but im guessing theres a certain formula in the matrix to modulate a certain parameter or something. If anyone has any insight or suggestions love to hear if not maybe we can just have an ambient patch making discussion if thats your cup of tea

Last edited by tekkonkinkreet9 : 25.03.2010 at 05:38 AM.
Old 25.03.2010, 09:59 AM
Pro
Pro

hi...thats cool..i've been working on some ambient sounds on my virus too...
i love the wavetables and graintables for ambient stuff...

for whale sounds...i'm guessing you would need to modulate the pitch of the oscillators ...maybe with your mod wheel......try downloading a few whale sounds (wav files) and listen to the pitch...start at the same pitch....an A or a G for example...and then listen to how the pitch is being modulated...reverse engineer the sounds....top it of with some cool reverb and bubbling water sounds....upload your results...i would love to hear what u did...
Old 25.03.2010, 10:35 PM
New here

hey thanks nutrinoland just started to do some work on attempting to make the patches and im already getting really close.. yea reversing patches works great so far i been fiddlin around with one osc the formant simple with one sine lfo with a lil pwm to osc one pitch than i got lazy and just throw some delay with my kp3 over and lil noise and its getting there once i nail it ill deff post some results prob beginning of next week
Old 01.04.2010, 02:51 AM
Pro
Pro

hey...howz it going?? got any results on the whale sounds??
i just heard some whale sounds on some ambient tracks...and they were definitely made on a synth.....
sounded like pitch envelope....
Old 05.04.2010, 11:50 PM
New here

its goin good thought i replied again but came back here and didnt see it so i guess i didnt lol every time i think im getting close i get a lil further away but get a better idea i think the key to the whale nosie so far is in the lfos and pwm once i have some think i thinks worth posting i will times never on my side
Old 06.04.2010, 08:52 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutrinoland View Post
hey...howz it going?? got any results on the whale sounds??
i just heard some whale sounds on some ambient tracks...and they were definitely made on a synth.....
sounded like pitch envelope....
Omnisphere has a couple of patches that mimic whales calling each other in the water. Wonderful idea, they sound very haunting and expressive. If I remember correctly, these are multi-samples of a cello bow "playing" a metal drying rack with added subtractive synthesis and then the whole thing is dynamically filtered by a conventional envelope generator.
Old 20.04.2010, 09:08 PM
New here

thats interesting your brought that up papi i just got on here to say that i came as close as im going to get now to patching a starter whale noise i well post how to make and audio sample( when i get more free time) but i also had the idea of taking an actual sample of a whale call and importing the sample into and using it as an oscillator