Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 07.01.2009, 06:50 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Default Moog Little Phatty, who needs a girlfriend?

I bought my Little Phatty Stage edition II two days ago (as a reward for giving up cigarettes for the new year, that should be another topic.....). What can i say? Anyone who truly loves synths will love this thing, it's a champion.

It's amazing how good it sounds in a mix too. This aspect of an instruments sound is often overlooked I reckon, but it is absolutely crucial. I don't like to criticise or be negative, but I'll use the XPAND! softsynth that comes with ProTools as an example. It sounds quite nice by itself, but in a mix it dissolves away into nothingness. I made a simple sound with the LP and not only did it cut through the mix, it also ENHANCED the other sounds in the mix (including the Virus)....

The ability to cut through a mix has something to do with harmonics as far as i can figure and hear, and this is where analog really shows its true colours. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but It's always nice to figure things out for yerself!

Mac Pro, Pro Tools, Virus TI, Little Phatty,: Best setup I've ever had by a long shot.......
Old 07.01.2009, 08:48 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

If in fact the concept of Time turns out to be a series of discreet moments of existence which we mistake for a continuous flow, then the analog vs. VA argument goes out the window. But until then, real analog oscillators sound like a lot of fun. Congratulations!
Old 08.01.2009, 06:48 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Ah, but there are still a few things that girlfriends can do that even a Moog can't

That's interesting what you say about making a good mix. You're getting something that is more than the sum of its parts.

@LivePsy - is time really digital? and if so is it pre-quantized? and does its scale change? and if it changes, does it change over time? and if it changes over time, what the heck kind of circular definition is that? I look to NAMM and Access boffins for answers!
Old 08.01.2009, 07:46 AM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
Ah, but there are still a few things that girlfriends can do that even a Moog can't
Yep, a Moog can never pressure you into having kids, or force you to attend it's seventh cousin's wedding, or complain about your drinking habits, or give you the cold shoulder for no reason whatsoever.....
Old 08.01.2009, 01:49 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Awesome, grats man! The Little Phatty looks amazing, I bet it sounds fantastic too :> It must be really cool to have some proper analog. If I was to buy another synth, it would be my first choice..

-Annikk
Old 09.01.2009, 04:00 AM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikk.exe View Post
Awesome, grats man! The Little Phatty looks amazing, I bet it sounds fantastic too :> It must be really cool to have some proper analog. If I was to buy another synth, it would be my first choice..

-Annikk

I cannot recommend this baby highly enough, I had no idea a monophonic synth could be so much fun and sound so cool.

Having said that I've been experimenting with some external tempo-synced delays to create some nice layered/cascading sequences, it has no onboard effects so pedals/plugins are a must unless you're into super-dry electro or are looking for a straight analog bass etc.

It does have an 'Overload' switch on the filter, drooooool.....even the slightest adjustment can radically alter the sound, and the really amazing thing is it gets accurately stored when you save the patch! Incredible.

10/10 from this synth nerd.....do I get to wear Moog T-shirts without looking like a complete tool now?
Old 09.01.2009, 08:24 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Do you find it's best for bass sounds? If I bought one I would probably want to use it for bass, imho if you can only pick one part, analog works best down there.. :>

But stop tempting me!! :P I have so much other stuff that I _need_ to buy first..

-Annikk
Old 09.01.2009, 11:18 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicForAirheads View Post
The ability to cut through a mix has something to do with harmonics as far as i can figure and hear, and this is where analog really shows its true colours. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but It's always nice to figure things out for yerself!
Probably the envelopes? - analog envelope are usually way more snappy then most digitals. The old roland D50 was design around the idea that the attack of a sound is what it takes for the brain to latch onto it and identify it and this work especially in a busy mix - try it - next time you feel the level of a synth sounds needs cranking - instead just sharpen its attack a tiny bit (more higher frequencies in that initial attack) - or make it a little more aggressive with a compressor if nescessary.

This is one of the headache I have with the virus - beautiful for soft sounds, but it takes quite a bit of effort to get a good raw impact out of it, whereas some synths just ooze it.
Old 09.01.2009, 06:20 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
This is one of the headache I have with the virus - beautiful for soft sounds, but it takes quite a bit of effort to get a good raw impact out of it, whereas some synths just ooze it.
I know what you mean here. I've been playing with the distortion on the virus and I just don't like it at all. It doesn't sound warm, or musical, or useable for anything apart from glitch, random fill noises and fx.. at least, not without some serious Configuring. The synth overall so far is amazing, I absolutely love the filters and the other onboard effects are good, but my inability to make it produce a badass sounding distortion-based bass or screaming leads is a tad worrying. The quality of the sound is superb, it's just that damn distortion...

I'm thinking I might buy a seperate distortion unit, I've had my eyes on this:

It's proper valve-based analog and the reviews for it are very positive. People talk about using it to "inject analog warmth", and running their whole mixes through it on a low gain setting (i guess it can also be set to scream like a banshee). Plus, it looks so awesome... =)
Trying to decide at the moment whether to get it, or some multiFX unit first. The virus onboard effects really aren't bad at all...

-Annikk
Old 10.01.2009, 02:25 PM

Annikk - FUNKING hell that looks BADASS

Khazul - in terms of punch and snap....I dont think its envelopes that are strictly responsible for that. It comes down to the VCA's ability to track the envelope.....its the VCA's response times in relation to the envelope curve its trying to track that give you the punch. All analog works best...

You can have technically slower envelopes on an analog synth....but it still produces more punch than its digital counterpart.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....