Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 10.01.2009, 11:00 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS View Post
its. the VCA's response times in relation to the envelope curve its trying to track that give you the punch. All analog works best...
DS
What? This is more myth than fact. Have a look at waveforms recorded in a sampler or DAW. Digital is not tracking an envelope like analog, its a perfect mathematical calculation of the amplitude as far as the resolution the programmers have given it (steppy envelopes are the result of not giving the envelope curves enough attention).

You may like analog's imperfections, but its not better nor is it intentional.
Old 12.01.2009, 06:58 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Oh dear, looks like I've sparked yet another bizarre analog theories vs digital theories debate....

I never meant to compare the Virus with the LP, let me make that perfectly clear, They're COMPLETELY different instruments....

I'm pretty sure the difference we hear in various instruments is in their quality of build and design. It's crazy to say analog automatically sounds better. I once built an analog synth that proves my point (awful...)

There is a lot of evidence that the imperfections and random qualities of some good analog synths add to the quality of their sound. If that appeals to you....

And let's make the distinction again, It's what we HEAR that is important, regardless of if it's analog, digital, or built out of balsa wood and a nugget of plutonium. If you like it and can make a good sound, hooray!

The Little Phatty kicks ass. The Virus kicks ass. Lots of stuff kicks ass. You kick ass, A-fucken-men.
Old 12.01.2009, 07:28 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicForAirheads View Post
Oh dear, looks like I've sparked yet another bizarre analog theories vs digital theories debate....
Mate, the only thing which sparked a debate is pure ENVY.

I'm not likely to afford an analog Moog of any kind. But just suppose I did, you couldn't get the smile off my face.

B
Old 23.01.2009, 09:01 PM
Pro
Pro

Do some research into the culture vulture, I looked at it recently and not convince...its popularity can be misleading. You may also want to check out some TLAudio valve compressors or the like...very smooth yet can still make the most of the viruses and make it grungy

Just an opionion which is what kit buying is all about !
Old 05.02.2009, 03:08 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikk.exe View Post
I know what you mean here. I've been playing with the distortion on the virus and I just don't like it at all. It doesn't sound warm, or musical, or useable for anything apart from glitch, random fill noises and fx.. at least, not without some serious Configuring. The synth overall so far is amazing, I absolutely love the filters and the other onboard effects are good, but my inability to make it produce a badass sounding distortion-based bass or screaming leads is a tad worrying. The quality of the sound is superb, it's just that damn distortion

-Annikk
I was sold on the virus in part because of its distortion. I love my LP's overload, but I also love my sweet little zippery RADIAS' drive. Digital distortion has just as much character as analog, just different charachter. I like the Virus because it walks a fine line between digital sound and analog sound, including the sound of its distortions and 'analog' settings.

Last edited by fierlion : 05.02.2009 at 04:40 PM.