Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 03.06.2008, 08:30 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Default Indigo1 keyboard troubles

Hello there!
Sorry to make my first post to this forum a depressing one, but I am having serious problems with my Indigo1 and I was wondering if perhaps someone else on here might have something to say about it...
I got a second hand Indigo about a year ago, tested it, but had no time to really play around with it. Now that I got the time I realize that it has serious problems. Occasionally, while I was playing the keyboard/tweaking the sound would cut abruptly and all the controls would freeze, with the lights still blinking but no keys or knobs would react at all. A few times when it happened the normal synth sound would be replaced with loud static buzz. "Panic" wouldn't work, the unit would have to be turned off and on in order to get back to normal.
So, I yesterday I updated to the latest OS. Now I have what seems to be a keyboard issue--random keys on the keyboard do not respond to the touch, unless you press them repeatedly, random keys "stick" (the notes hold after you release them, even though the keymode is not set to "hold"). I reinstalled an older version of OS, but the problem did not go away. I tried controlling the synth with another MIDI synth and it seems to be working ok, so looks like it's specifically the keyboard problem. Though there might be some other problems because the whole thing used to freeze on me.
Unfortunately I have no way to contact the person who sold me the synth. It's obviously not under warranty. I am new to Virus and I've never had to take a synth apart or even open one.
What would you recommend?
If you were to give a very approximate estimate how much would it might cost? As in, like, hundreds of dollars? (sorry, but again, I've never taken a synth for repair, and I happen to be extremely strapped for cash at the moment, so perhaps I should just learn to think of my Indigo as an extra bulky B??)
I would greatly appreciate any kind of help!
Old 03.06.2008, 09:38 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

without an exact diagnosis is hard to estimate how much it would be.

... probably you can sell it as source for spare parts ... and get yourself another indigo.

... or if it not freeze, unless you press keys on the keyboard,
you still could use it as sound source, which you just remote over MIDI

Last edited by psy604 : 04.06.2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04.06.2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Really sorry to hear of your probs, Krotoff. Sounds like a hardware problem, so contact Access directly and they will be able to advise you further.

http://access-music.de/contactus.php4

You did install the latest OS for the Indigo (OS 4.90 Build 050)?

You could always perhaps try flashing the BIOS again.

Sometimes my Indigo locks up the same as yours, but this is often when I have it hooked up to other synths via MIDI and they sent corrupt or unsupported MIDI data to the Indigo.
Old 08.07.2008, 02:28 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Krotoff, did you ever figure out how to make it work?
Old 11.07.2008, 02:00 PM
Complete Newbie

OK, here is what I found out...the original keyboard controller had a problem that resulted in a
velocity response of maximum 95 (instead of 127) with the internal Indigo
keyboard. Access fixed that problem with version OS 4.5.2 but that needed a
hardware fix (exchanging the PIC controller for the keyboard and eventually also
the crystal). It looks like that Access is still fixing this problem but I am not 100% sure if this service is for free. I returned my Indigo.

Old 11.07.2008, 02:56 PM
Veteran
Veteran

in case you feel comfortable opening it up, there is a chance that this is actually a cable issue and nothing serious. the statis buzz you're hearing is probably a software crash which results from the keyboard controller "disappearing" suddenly. this might happen when the connection in between the motherboard and the keyboard controller is compromised by a broken cable or even a loose (ribbon) cable.
in case the keyboard controller is damaged: after so many years, a possible repair will not be for free but since the keyboard controller isn't considered to be an expensive part and is easy to be exchanged you might get away with moderate repair costs.
if the motherboard is damaged you will run into a problem. there are no replacement motherboards left. we cannot manufacture new ones anymore for various reasons including a EU regulation which prevents us from using components which contain lead. the only way to fix a virus b series motherboard today is to send it to germany and we will attempted to repair it.

marc
access music
Old 23.07.2008, 05:04 AM
New here
New here

Hi, Is there any update on this?

I'm having the EXACT same problem and hope there is a solution:

"Now I have what seems to be a keyboard issue--random keys on the keyboard do not respond to the touch, unless you press them repeatedly, random keys "stick" (the notes hold after you release them, even though the keymode is not set to "hold"). I reinstalled an older version of OS, but the problem did not go away. I tried controlling the synth with another MIDI synth and it seems to be working ok, so looks like it's specifically the keyboard problem. Though there might be some other problems because the whole thing used to freeze on me."
Old 23.07.2008, 01:19 PM
Complete Newbie

You have to revert back to os 4.1.7 that is still available on Access webpage (and now we know why they keep that stuff still around ). This will at least get rid of the random keyboard error. Every version above that gave me trouble. So, I would rule out the loose cable or keyboard controller damage marc mentioned.

Also you will notice that playing the Indigo from the own keyboard will not give you the whole velocity range! Go figure. In addition mine had a bad key that was not responding to velocity after a couple of hits, so I returned my Indigo to the shop and kept my Virus Classic. I personally would stay away from any keyboard version of the Virus B.
Old 24.07.2008, 04:15 AM
New here
New here

X, thank you very much for your informative post. My keyboard is in the exact same state as yours was. I tried the latest OS and no luck, but then reverted to 4.0.9 and the randomness was gone. phew..........
Old 24.07.2008, 05:06 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by midihendrix View Post
X, thank you very much for your informative post. My keyboard is in the exact same state as yours was. I tried the latest OS and no luck, but then reverted to 4.0.9 and the randomness was gone. phew..........
MidiHendrix,

I found these two links that describes the problem in detail. I would ask Access if it is possible for you to upgrade the keyboard controller board to use a higher OS and the additional features that comes with it.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...t-1294770.html

http://www.the-gas-station.com/messa...lastdays=2000&

Good luck