Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

View Poll Results: would you prefer to sign to a major or indie lable?
major 5 29.41%
indie 4 23.53%
fuk them i will go it alone 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20.12.2005, 06:15 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Default would you prefer to sign to a major or indie lable?

would you prefer to sign to a major or indie lable?
Old 21.12.2005, 11:59 AM
This forum member lives here

What is the difference between the too? Im guessing the first one rapes your soul and the otherone allows for an element of originality? Depends what your motives are really....if you just want to make some money then sell your soul....if you want total freedem over your work then goto one of the small independents - or through internet. The days of making big money out of music kinda died out in the late 80's. Now we have lots of boy and girl bands struggling to find the money to buy their next chocolat bar, coffee and fags.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 21.12.2005, 12:05 PM

it all depends on the contract that is written up. I have read contracts from both the Majors and Indies that are brutal and then again, I have also read other contracts that are really fair.
Old 21.12.2005, 02:30 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
What is the difference between the too? Im guessing the first one rapes your soul and the otherone allows for an element of originality?
your right about the raping of your soul ds
Quote:
it all depends on the contract that is written up. I have read contracts from both the Majors and Indies that are brutal and then again, I have also read other contracts that are really fair
i think it might be better dealing with an independant you can get closer to the man at the top instead of some suit at the other end of a board table who doesnt even know or care where you are coming from but more of how big and when his percentage is coming from.
if you have contact with the person that runs the lable you can find out their motives and usually get a better contract altho you are not going to have as many sale and advertising at your disposal.
no major lable would give you as much as 14% where as this is more common amongst indie lables.and if it goes bad you most like will never have enough money to get justice in the courts the bigger a corporation the more money they have.we have heard that saying ......................money talks and bull shit walks......................................

but there are some quite successful lables who have been known to contract artsts using nothing but a gentlemens agreement.and trust that they will not release that music to another lable.
so you are probablly right doc when you say there are some terrible and some quite fair on both side of the fence.
Old 21.12.2005, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Major label of course. As I'll be focused on "invisible" producing I'd like to get money for food and rent of my music.
Old 21.12.2005, 05:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Dont care so long as I dont get screwed with an advance the goes nowhere near convering the projected production costs.
Old 21.12.2005, 07:47 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpoid
but there are some quite successful lables who have been known to contract artsts using nothing but a gentlemens agreement.and trust that they will not release that music to another lable.
Much love for Factory records... Tony Wilson is the fucking man.
Old 22.12.2005, 04:34 AM

Never even thought about getting signed really. I'm not even sure I'd want to for my music. I think it would be nicer to be making money by sound designing for movies or something.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 22.12.2005, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
I think it would be nicer to be making money by sound designing for movies or something.
Agreed. I was watching a documentary on Howard Shore (composer for Lord of the Rings Trilogy). What an amazingly talented individual!
Old 22.12.2005, 04:37 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

yeah i agree with you dudes in that it is something i have been contemplating for my music for a while documentaries, current affairs programmes ,local tv and film productions etc. there all using the type of music i listen to in my spare time aswell as produce.
people like f.s.o.l , faultline, fourtet, to mention a few , its all the rage.