Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 26.06.2014, 07:32 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Default Independant labels & YouTube

In the interests of getting something interesting going, I am sure most of you have heard about this...
createdigitalmusic.com/2014/06/terrible-...mmarized/#more-33861

This has been showing up in the media everywhere these last few weeks. Lot's of indie labels & artist's pissed off about it. Funny all the major labels are cool with it
Of course they are not forceing anyone to do anything they dont want & if you dont like it I say close your YouTube account & go to Vimeo or similar. Hey if your supposed to be indie then why do you rely on huge corporations like Google for your living. Or maybe people have forgotten what being independent is all about! On a similar note...

www.bbc.com/news/technology-28020654

The sad state of affairs is that what where once small indie labels have become exactly the thing they hated...corporate business's.
Yeah sure Adele's label XL is indie??? She did the last Bond theme FFS! Which is just about as corporate as it gets. If she was on some small independant label nobody would give a fuck.
There all as bad as each other & the music industry is more dog eat dog than ever Trouble is there's more dog's wanting more of the really skinny carcass.
Old 26.06.2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Nice post Berni. Good fuel for thought. I think FB shares the same philosophy as Google as far as rights over the material are concerned. People are just giving their material away for good, owned by some mega corporation who does nothing in return.

Offering a service that allows people to show their material is one thing, claiming rights over the work of other people by the millions is quite another.

While this happens and it's seen as "good business", doing well in the markets and all that, on the States and abroad big groups (aka as lobbies) put the pressure on intelligence services (like the FBI) to chase after the sites that allow people to share content, supposedly, 'cause that's just another way of saying "censuring the internet", punishing the public's freedom for the good of some select few big corporations and their greedy agendas.

For big american corporations to own everything for good, while not respecting the privacy of its users is not a problem. It helps to gather information that would be much more expensive to get otherwise, so it's cool. The public gets screwed either way.
Old 26.06.2014, 03:45 PM
This forum member lives here

I don't know to what extent I've gone into this in the past, but folks in my industry typically think of three big technology companies which dwarf everything else: Apple, Microsoft, and Google. Any one of them can be labeled as an evil big corporation, but one of them is far worse than the others and that would be Google. Apple's profits are based on selling you new hardware gadgets. Microsoft's profits are based on selling you software. Google's profits are based on stalking you, tracking you, getting into every aspect of your life and selling your privacy to others. The level of evil goes far, far beyond screwing indie bands or anything even music related.

It's for this reason I avoid everything Google as much as I can. I won't own an Android phone, I won't use Gmail or Chrome as a browser, I use Bing for search as much as possible, etc. The only defense against them is to avoid their products like the plague and support the alternatives that are available from far more honest alternatives. Even if the alternatives are not perfect, they are still far less evil.
Old 26.06.2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Yes I first noticed this shit from Google a while back when all of a sudden I had to totally change my Youtube account & was pretty much forced into Google + (which I NEVER use) I just wanted to put a few video's on line & now I have to have a Google account??? WTF. I use Firefox as my main browser so there's no avoiding it as it's built right in but now I'm thinking of switching.
Old 27.06.2014, 10:50 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks like this. I can't have this conversation with most people, 'cause they readily accuse me of paranoia but the few changes there have been in Google recently are scary. For one: you used to login to your Gmail account, now if you use Chrome you're asked to login to the browser, something akin to Google's network - it includes localisation, gmail, youtube, so forth and so on. This move alone rendered most anti tracking plug-ins (or add-ons/extensions) useless, simply because they're not effective any more the moment you log in to their system - and that's a very serious move against the privacy of the common folk.

Most people don't care. One of the problems we face today is that we sign a lot of contracts without even bothering to read them (let alone read them through) and this corporations are turning more and more aggressive as time goes buy, main reason being that most people don't care or are not informed enough to grasp the consequences of this.

But I don't think it stops with the triad of the big ones. I'm heavily suspicious about most "cloud" services. In a world where we know for sure that knowing things before hand gives you a competitive advantage over other competitors, maybe trusting some company with our material is dangerous. I mean, if Facebook made life easier for intelligence agencies throughout, cloud services manages to go some steps further, allowing access to the material as it's being developed.

Out of pure convenience, most people will engage with all sorts of things without a second thought. Google Drive for instance opens the door for real life, constantly updated, tracking of you as a person - not just what you do on the web, but your entire life tracked as you go. Same with Apple's new product that's being introduced in some car brands now. Have all your info in the same place, hey. I say there should be some rules and set limits to what this companies can do. Not joining their party is a start, like MBTC said, making the public aware of this and demand some laws to force limits to this corporations actions is something we all should be engaged with.
Old 27.06.2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran
Veteran

On another note, in line with what MBTC has said:

I tried linux on a small netbook I own and, by default - and this is the funny part - it avoids any service that tracks you down. In case you want to use most common services like Google, it readily warns you that this system will track your steps. Now compare that to what happens when you buy a mac or a windows pc. On the mac, you can find "internet accounts" on system preferences where the system can keep your login details for most common social network services including google, facebook and twitter (among others). This level of integration within the OS is also scary.
Old 27.06.2014, 06:30 PM

It's very easy to set up IE on Windows to be untrackable. As far as FB, Google+, Twitter etc. I wouldn't use any of those unless you want to be tracked and your information gathered. That's what social media services are all about, FB being almost as evil as Google (just slightly less so because they technically don't have e-mail and mainstream search engine, so they cannot scan and mine data from your email the way Google does, nor keep track of what you're Googling around for.
Old 27.06.2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Yeah I have avoided joining FB for those reasons. When people ask me why I'm not on it (usually incredulously) & I explain it too them they either laugh & call me paranoid or look a little sheepish as if there having second thoughts about baring there ass to the entire world. I also don't want my dopy friends 'tagging' me everywhere I go as there are times when I don't want the missus to know what I'm up to ; )
On a similar note...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28055909
Old 30.06.2014, 04:44 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

FB users in psychological experiment...

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28051930

Paranoid am I?
Old 30.06.2014, 08:57 PM
Veteran
Veteran

very interesting...

just think about it, if some secret agency or marketing evil genius was to convince people to go about everything they see and select the things they like, how on earth would they get to convince people? right?