Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 28.05.2015, 04:25 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

If there is no output on output 2 and 3 but they are showing as busses in cubase, you simply haven't selected the right outputs for that specific Virus channel in VC.

If you want to use the multiple hardware audio outs of your Virus and to not send audio via USB, you'll have to reroute the audio back into cubase using wires and a soundcard.

Imagine it like this, cubase makes a midi note trigger and other controller information. That goes down the USB cable to the VIRUS. The Virus then generates the sound and sends it out the master output. In VC you can control different Virus part to go out either of the sockets on the back. Doing it this way you can't add any VST effects to the Virus unless you route it back in Via a sound card.

HOWEVER. This is TI. Cubase makes the midi note trigger etc that goes down the USB to the VIRUS. The Virus generates the sound (edit: the digital sound not actual audio) and sends it back up the USB cable into cubase (there's 3 of these channels available via the USB). You can now stick any number of VST effects your PC will allow, manipulating the Virus sound. Cubase then sends it's master out back down the USB and out the master output. Using the Virus as a Synth and a soundcard, this might be what's confused you, imagine it as 2 different things but via 1 cable, at the same time.

It really is a lot simpler than it sounds though. It does everything automatically for you when you click the right option. Much easier than how things used to be, routing synths through soundcards and figuring out controller messages, correcting latency etc!!!

I don't use my Virus as a Soundcard, there's no connection on any of the audio outs.
Old 28.05.2015, 05:00 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

Just had a look, it's Common tab in VC, a section called Main Out. Here you have the ability to select which ever output you want the sound to go via. If you select USB 1, 2 or 3, the sound will still go out the Virus Master Out (if the Virus is set as your soundcard) but will travel back through Cubase first, as explained above. Select USB 1 L+R, for 1 sound, USB 2 L+R for another and USB 3 L+R for the third. Make sure you've activated the outputs, as explained in another post, VST Instrument Rack, lil box with out arrow.

If the 3rd USB isn't selectable, click the Patch Utility tab next to Common and make sure the USB Audio Mode in the Config tab is set to 3 outputs.

Now you have 3 busses in cubase which you can apply different levels of sidechain ducking, EQ, delays, reverbs etc.
Old 28.05.2015, 05:34 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
If you want to use the multiple hardware audio outs of your Virus and to not send audio via USB, you'll have to reroute the audio back into cubase using wires and a soundcard.
I think this is what he is attempting to do here -- route the audio from the analog outs to Traktor (some of this was captured in another thread though, which is why it may not be clear here).

It's good to have both methods in the toolbox, but if the USB is working well for you then it can certainly make things simpler (not to mention frees up audio inputs on the audio interface).

But I just wanted to clarify to him that what you are telling him about the USB setup and what I'm suggesting is two different things. Clicking the box with the arrow on the VST Rack will not create the audio busses for you automatically in Cubase 8 Pro.

So for reference, fallward if you're looking at MM's approach, you're dealing with USB1 L+R, USB2 L+R and so forth. If going with the bus approach I've mentioned you want to stay away from those altogether and use Out1 L+R, Out2 L+R etc. My approach uses USB only for the MIDI data (notes/automation/patch changes etc.).

Advantage of analog outs is tends to sound better, latency is all but non-existent, and USB 1.1 streaming between the Virus and the PC is removed from the equation. The disadvantage of analog outs for 3 stereo connections you need a total of six quarter inch cables running to your audio interface, you have to create and deal with busses.

Advantage of USB is that it is that if it works well for you, it is much less fiddly, requires less cables, and generally feels more integrated like working with soft-synth instruments in any given DAW. Also with the Snow you have 3 USB outs and only one set of analog which gives mixing versatility if you're working with simple enough sounds to actually get 3 at a time out of it. Disadvantage of USB is that it just doesn't work well for some folks.

My personal experience was that I got things working well enough with USB but there was still some detectable latency, all of which went away when I went analog outs. Since I have to use analog outs for other hardware it wasn't a problem for me. It might be for others.
Old 29.05.2015, 02:37 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I guess I should've clarified that I swtiched back to using the Virus as a main sound card since the Traktor Kontrol is just really unstable. So far what I'm getting out of this is I need a sound card that can handle all 3 of my outputs so it can be sent into 3 buses in Cubase's mixer. I'm wondering if there are any sound cards that are specifically good with handling the Virus?

As for USB I think I've got a handle on how to use it which is great in case I decide not to go with Analog in the future.
Old 29.05.2015, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallward View Post
I guess I should've clarified that I swtiched back to using the Virus as a main sound card since the Traktor Kontrol is just really unstable. So far what I'm getting out of this is I need a sound card that can handle all 3 of my outputs so it can be sent into 3 buses in Cubase's mixer. I'm wondering if there are any sound cards that are specifically good with handling the Virus?

As for USB I think I've got a handle on how to use it which is great in case I decide not to go with Analog in the future.
I can't help with using the Virus' built-in audio interface, maybe someone else can help there. I don't do that with my Ultranova either (which is similar in that it has its own interface and USB).

As far as buying a new audio interface/sound card.... I think of a "sound card" as an actual card that goes inside the computer. Many people use that term interchangeably with "audio interface" but when I say an audio interface I am referring to an external box with lots of ports, and its own power supply.

Compatibility between a given audio interface and the Virus is not really an issue. Once you are using analog outs, the audio interface doesn't know the difference between a Virus an any other audio signal source.
Old 29.05.2015, 04:14 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I can't help with using the Virus' built-in audio interface, maybe someone else can help there. I don't do that with my Ultranova either (which is similar in that it has its own interface and USB).

As far as buying a new audio interface/sound card.... I think of a "sound card" as an actual card that goes inside the computer. Many people use that term interchangeably with "audio interface" but when I say an audio interface I am referring to an external box with lots of ports, and its own power supply.

Compatibility between a given audio interface and the Virus is not really an issue. Once you are using analog outs, the audio interface doesn't know the difference between a Virus an any other audio signal source.
Are there any specific details I should be looking for when searching for an Audio interface for the virus? I know you mentioned I'll have lots of cables running so I want to make sure I have the right amount of ports, features, etc.

Edit: After doing some research I'm hearing the Komplete Audio 6 is working really well for a lot of people. I would need 3 TRS to Dual cables for this audio interface correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Native-Instrum...udio+interface

Last edited by fallward : 29.05.2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 29.05.2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallward View Post
Are there any specific details I should be looking for when searching for an Audio interface for the virus? I know you mentioned I'll have lots of cables running so I want to make sure I have the right amount of ports, features, etc.

Edit: After doing some research I'm hearing the Komplete Audio 6 is working really well for a lot of people. I would need 3 TRS to Dual cables for this audio interface correct?
http://www.amazon.com/Native-Instrum...udio+interface
I'm hesitant to get into recommending specific audio interface models, kind of getting beyond Cubase and Virus related mixer issues with that one. One thing to remember is that my Snow doesn't even have the capabilities you're embarking on using here, so you're going to be a bit of a pioneer in your research. Others on the forum here might be able to answer targeted questions about audio interface selection. You might look into the availability and quality of tech support with any interface you buy, even to the point of seeing if they will answer your questions pre-sale. Do you live in a big enough city to have a major music store? If so it might be a good opportunity to visit and ask questions, the sales guys get this sort of question all day long and if you have limited hands on exposure to hardware it might be nice to walk around, see some of the stuff in person. If it were me and the first time I were buying an audio interface, I would start with the forum of the vendor to see how helpful the community is, because they will be where most of your questions will need to go.

The model I have is Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 and I can tell you I already wish I had more physical ports on it, may want to upgrade one day. Its connected to a dedicated Firewire card that I installed. If I were buying another one today I'd probably get a Saffire Pro 40 or maybe something else but that's not to say Firewire is for everyone.

To put that all into context, the Focusrite stuff has its own software that goes on the PC that you could think of as a mixer console that sits between the interface and the DAW, so if the interface you buy is the same way in that regard, you'll probably need some way of seeking answers to how to troubleshoot that as well. Sometimes you may be going "ok why is there no sound coming out of this" and there will be some simple setting you overlooked on the middleware or whatever. The Focusrite software can be fiddly and honestly I doubt I could help much with it, because I just tweaked it until it worked and left it there, lol.. I didn't really retain how I got there in memory I just tweak things as needed as I go. I have no idea if the Native Instruments interfaces are simpler in that regard or not.

Anyway hopefully that last paragraph underscores what I mean by you'll want to be sure you have helpful vendor tech support and or a good community of users for that audio interface, only because it's your first one.

You might start over on the Cubase forums and ask Cubase users which one they use. Steinberg does make audio interfaces but I don't know how common they are. I will say the Cubase DAW controllers I have from them are very high quality Yamaha-made gear, love them and recommend them.

Personally more pre-amp gain knobs on the front the better, they are damn handy. Just remember when you see XLR mic inputs, those are always mono to the best of my knowledge. If you're doing Output1, 2 and 3 from the Virus, you will most likely want to take advantage of independent stereo channels L+R. You can route them to a mono input and then split it in software but of course that's not the same. So more input options = better.
Old 29.05.2015, 07:33 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I'm hesitant to get into recommending specific audio interface models, kind of getting beyond Cubase and Virus related mixer issues with that one. One thing to remember is that my Snow doesn't even have the capabilities you're embarking on using here, so you're going to be a bit of a pioneer in your research. Others on the forum here might be able to answer targeted questions about audio interface selection. You might look into the availability and quality of tech support with any interface you buy, even to the point of seeing if they will answer your questions pre-sale. Do you live in a big enough city to have a major music store? If so it might be a good opportunity to visit and ask questions, the sales guys get this sort of question all day long and if you have limited hands on exposure to hardware it might be nice to walk around, see some of the stuff in person. If it were me and the first time I were buying an audio interface, I would start with the forum of the vendor to see how helpful the community is, because they will be where most of your questions will need to go.

The model I have is Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 and I can tell you I already wish I had more physical ports on it, may want to upgrade one day. Its connected to a dedicated Firewire card that I installed. If I were buying another one today I'd probably get a Saffire Pro 40 or maybe something else but that's not to say Firewire is for everyone.

To put that all into context, the Focusrite stuff has its own software that goes on the PC that you could think of as a mixer console that sits between the interface and the DAW, so if the interface you buy is the same way in that regard, you'll probably need some way of seeking answers to how to troubleshoot that as well. Sometimes you may be going "ok why is there no sound coming out of this" and there will be some simple setting you overlooked on the middleware or whatever. The Focusrite software can be fiddly and honestly I doubt I could help much with it, because I just tweaked it until it worked and left it there, lol.. I didn't really retain how I got there in memory I just tweak things as needed as I go. I have no idea if the Native Instruments interfaces are simpler in that regard or not.

Anyway hopefully that last paragraph underscores what I mean by you'll want to be sure you have helpful vendor tech support and or a good community of users for that audio interface, only because it's your first one.

You might start over on the Cubase forums and ask Cubase users which one they use. Steinberg does make audio interfaces but I don't know how common they are. I will say the Cubase DAW controllers I have from them are very high quality Yamaha-made gear, love them and recommend them.

Personally more pre-amp gain knobs on the front the better, they are damn handy. Just remember when you see XLR mic inputs, those are always mono to the best of my knowledge. If you're doing Output1, 2 and 3 from the Virus, you will most likely want to take advantage of independent stereo channels L+R. You can route them to a mono input and then split it in software but of course that's not the same. So more input options = better.
Awesome, thanks again for all the help. I do appreciate it!
Old 30.05.2015, 12:53 AM

Also just remembered the TI KB and desktop models have S/PDIF where the Snow does not. This is another potential connectivity option for you from the Virus to whatever audio interface you may want to research, because it may give you an extra option for precious input ports.

Mercifully, my Ultranova does have S/PDIF Out (which is an RCA jack) and I do use it, with a cable that runs that signal to a TosLink jack on the Saffire Pro 24.

If you search around a bit on this forum and gearslutz, it seems the consensus is that getting the right cable is the key for successful S/PDIF on the Virus (coincidentally that seems true of folks using USB as well), so you'll definitely want to research that one.