Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 02.11.2014, 11:30 AM
New here
New here

Post Seeking a mentor!

Hello everyone!
i've been struggling with my producing and sound enginering for some time now, i realize that i need some kind of mentor and someone to be creative with and also create new sounds/songs. Is there someone who's up for that?

I use FL Studio as my main Daw, in the studio i have these synth's:
Access Virus: A, Snow and Indigo Redback.
303-Bassbot
Yamaha Tyros
Clavia Nord

I'm aiming for producing modern songs and sounds, Always try to follow trends.
Here you have a my soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/real_club_mafia

If you're interested you can write me a pm or Contact me on my skype!

john_holmgren@live.se

Have a nice day!
Best regards.
John
Old 05.11.2014, 12:57 PM
Veteran
Veteran

To be honest, that sounds a little weird!
Old 10.11.2014, 04:43 PM
New here
New here

Hello!
May i ask why you think so?

Best regards
john
Old 11.11.2014, 01:18 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

After a quick listen through them i'd say you have got the music in you but you're not following current trends, as you put it. Your tracks are very musical and I can't describe them as wrong, as the 'musical' elements are all there.

I listen to hundreds of new tracks every week and your music is very different 'sonically' even if the formula is copying a certain style. This makes you quite unique which is a good and a bad thing. If you can get a following, your made, if not, your music will always sound a bit off as it sounds different from anything else out there.

If your not using midi files and all that music, as in melody etc is all yours, you've got that nailed. What you need to focus on is sound design. Getting the sounds to sound real instead of bedroom! or too synthetic. I'd even say your mixing is spot on, the sounds you do have are well balanced.

You'd have been a massive producer in the late 80's early 90's. Your sound is almost like a modern day equivalent. Perhaps you have too much melody.

I'm very good at giving opinions but my own skills are quite week. If you want more feedback or specific feedback i'd be glad to help. I sign in here every few months but feel free to shot me a message.
Old 11.11.2014, 01:21 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

That's what it is... Everything you have made is too dry. If music today is that dry, it has lots more dirty, Lush sounds need to be very wet, dry upfront sounds, dirty as hell.

More sidechain too, get those tracks to pump more, it has too pump.
Old 18.11.2014, 08:14 PM
New here
New here

Hello!
Thank you for some really nice feedback!
You're right, the trend following is a problem since it doesn't sound "uptodate"

What do you mean by diffrent sonically? what would you say i should do to change the good and the bad into something really good?
You're right in Everything you say here, and i know it, where should i start to go from bedroom/synthetic to real?
And about the melodie thing, is there too much melodies in the songs, or maybe too euroish or?

Thank you for taking the time to anwser me.
Best regards.
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
After a quick listen through them i'd say you have got the music in you but you're not following current trends, as you put it. Your tracks are very musical and I can't describe them as wrong, as the 'musical' elements are all there.

I listen to hundreds of new tracks every week and your music is very different 'sonically' even if the formula is copying a certain style. This makes you quite unique which is a good and a bad thing. If you can get a following, your made, if not, your music will always sound a bit off as it sounds different from anything else out there.

If your not using midi files and all that music, as in melody etc is all yours, you've got that nailed. What you need to focus on is sound design. Getting the sounds to sound real instead of bedroom! or too synthetic. I'd even say your mixing is spot on, the sounds you do have are well balanced.

You'd have been a massive producer in the late 80's early 90's. Your sound is almost like a modern day equivalent. Perhaps you have too much melody.

I'm very good at giving opinions but my own skills are quite week. If you want more feedback or specific feedback i'd be glad to help. I sign in here every few months but feel free to shot me a message.
Old 23.11.2014, 05:47 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Yes, it's quite euroish.

I suffered with the similar problem when I mainly relied on my Emu rack synths etc. Still never got to the polished level you have.

Where should you go from bedroom, is the ultimate question and that i can't answer... I never quite figured it out myself. The 2nd post i made addresses the question a bit though.

it all depends on style... A lot of todays music isn't built around lots of melody. Lots of it is just transitions of varied noises, lol, around 1 simple melody if that makes any sense. The deeper dance sound a different story.

Have you played with multiband distortion? It's really good to grit up your sound, giving it some rawness.