Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 24.07.2011, 02:48 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default New to Virus. C or TI. Please help :)

Hi guys.

ATM i have the money to spend on a second hand Virus TI but have been told there are really bad software issues and its putting me off. I could buy a C but seen as i have the money for the TI it makes sense to get the newer updated model no?

Here are 2 quotes from a highly professional and sucesfull trance producers.

'Basically, I think you should go for a Virus C. the main reason is that TI's
have problems if you have, like nearly everyone else, a USB or Firewire
audio interface.

I have heard that you cant actually switch off using the virus as an audio
interface if you use the USB connection and therefore your computer cant
pick between the virus or your actual interface and it causes issues.

The way to get round it is to use it in midi mode sending the info via midi
cables and if your going to do that, you may as well just get a C as theyre
a fraction of the price and do virtually the same thing.

Unless Access have sorted that problem in the TI2, its not worth the price
in my opinion.

Having said all that, last time I looked into it that was the case, however,
I havent checked recently and they might have sorted it out.'

'
I got rid of my TI and got a virus c cos the vst/au integration of the TI sucks, buggy as shit and getting worse with every release.

As a dance music workhorse there is nothing better than the virus though, it rocks for everything - get the c though, forget the ti '

As you can imagine, seeing those quotes has put me off the TI some what.

Has the software been updated, is it still buggy? Are there problems which are going to make me think, i just spent an extra £500 on a TI over a C for software integration that does not work? Sorry to go on, but im just very confused atm.

IF i got a TI and didnt like the software integration, can i just run it as hardware only though my audio interface, or would i have to do as the first quote said and run in in MIDI mode (meaning i should have just got a C)

ANY help would be well appreciated as i have the cash waiting to spend now.

Cheers guys
Old 24.07.2011, 07:51 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamellisuk View Post
I have heard that you cant actually switch off using the virus as an audio
interface if you use the USB connection and therefore your computer cant
pick between the virus or your actual interface and it causes issues.
This is completly bullsh#t
You can use your own audiointerface with Virus control running. You can use the Virus ti as your soundcard, but you can also switch to any other audio interface.

The sofware is not buggy. Off course some user experience problems, but this is mostly caused by the PC configuration, not the software of the Ti itself.

You can use the Ti on 3 ways:
1. Via total integration (USB and virus control)
2. via Midi over USB
3. old fashion midi cables.

So always go for the TI !! The TI has much more possibillities and
Access is still develloping the software. There are still coming new updates with more functionality.

Cheers
Old 24.07.2011, 09:36 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hi Adam,

The TI, sound engine feature wise, stomps on the C, even if you don't need the VST integration.
Old 25.07.2011, 05:55 PM
Complete Newbie

Right im going to go for the TI then. I REALLY want to use the hardware though to twist the knobs and play about with sound design. I can do this on any soft synth but the idea of learning sound design on an actual bit of hardware is far more appealing to me.

I want to get the best out of my TI so would i be better of recording the audio from the analog outs, into my interface? I have been told doing so will produce far greater results.

This brings me on to my next question IF i record from the analog outs into my interface i am guessing the quality will be dependent on the quality of my interface. IE the pre amps.

I was looking at getting a STEINBERG MR816 as it seems to be the best interface for under £1000. The only bloody problem is that the fucker does not have midi I/O so im not sure if il be able to use the Virus this way.

Does recording through the analog outs on the virus make that much of a difference quality. Ie been told various things.

Thanks
Old 26.07.2011, 08:48 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

If you use a third party audio interface for playback and recording the virus, the sound quality will be better if you use a better/higher quality soundcard (off course)

There are a lot of topics about the analogs outs vs. USB outs. Also here when you use a better soundcard, the USB outs will sounds better of course.
Some people believe the analog outs sounds better, but because there is a lot of discussion about this, I think it's not a big difference, else verybody will be convinced that analog outs do sound better and thats not the case.

You do not need a Midi interface to use the Virus Ti without Virus Control. You can use the Virus Ti Midi driver (Midi over USB) wich you can use without the use of VC.
br
Old 26.07.2011, 10:47 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEY View Post
This is completly bullsh#t
You can use your own audiointerface with Virus control running. You can use the Virus ti as your soundcard, but you can also switch to any other audio interface.

The sofware is not buggy. Off course some user experience problems, but this is mostly caused by the PC configuration, not the software of the Ti itself.

You can use the Ti on 3 ways:
1. Via total integration (USB and virus control)
2. via Midi over USB
3. old fashion midi cables.

So always go for the TI !! The TI has much more possibillities and
Access is still develloping the software. There are still coming new updates with more functionality.

Cheers
Sorry, but I disagree - at least for my config:
On my Mac / OSX Snow Leopard / Logic 9 / Focusrite Saffire pro 40 Firewire interface it doesn't work well. Whatever buffer size / config I choose: Choppy audio, Virus crashes. Not funny, I only use the TI part to copy sounds between banks. Logic is just not so happy with the virus. Which is bad, because it's THE standard in DAWs
I use it as a (heavily overpowered) monotimbral synth right now.
It's one of the greatest sounding synths out there, but if you have the above combination (Mac/Logic/other interface), then you will almost certainly run into trouble. The KC has both the suboscillator as well as the "moog" filters (which are great, but lightyears away from a real moog btw), so I'd say a KC or TI 1 in good condition is the better choice.

The Total Integration part of the TI is unusable for me. I upgraded from a Virus KB to TI2, and begin to realize that a used TI or KC would have been better.

If you run Windows / Ableton / no other audio interface, and plan to fire 16 tracks of different Virus instruments live without bouncing, then the TI2 is still the way to go.
Old 26.07.2011, 10:57 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 with my Virus Ti (on a winXp PC 32 bit with Cubase 5) and have no problems at all.

Fact is that you can switch between your own soundcard and the Virus Ti as soundcard in your DAW.
Old 26.07.2011, 02:54 PM
Complete Newbie

Thanks guys.

Im about to purchase the Steinberg MR816X and ive read nothing but good things about this interface. If recording out of my Virus's analog outs, i should get a high quality sound with the high quality of the pre amps in the MR816X.

Someone i know is selling this TI. Im sure its a TI2 but its not listed as one but he says its 6 months old (so presuming it must be a TI2)

Can anyone help me out. If it is a TI2, what kind of money should i be looking to pay for a second hand one.

Old 26.07.2011, 02:59 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

The picture is a TI2
Second hand price about 1200-1400 Euro's

br
Old 26.07.2011, 03:11 PM
Complete Newbie

He wants £1000 but ive seen Ti1's go for around 800 so im not sure. Is it wort an extra £200

I guess it would be if i could extend the warranty. Would it hold its value??

Sorry for all the questions haha