Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 07.02.2011, 05:35 PM
New here
New here

Default How to recreate this lead ?

Hi, it's my first post, so - Hello!
Can anyone help me to recreate this "airy", gorgeous sounding lead from Depeche Mode's "It's no good"? It is played in the beggining of the song, but it's more hearable from 1:34 to 1:43. I know it will be hard to do it, because it sounds very complicated. I tried many times, but without any satisfying effects.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QPvffO1gs

Ps. I strongly recommend this song for synth-crazy people, such as it is a really well-produced and great sounding song, filled with nice, analog synths.

Thx !
Old 09.02.2011, 07:53 PM
New here
New here

Anyone ? Please, help me.
Old 18.02.2011, 12:27 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangrena View Post
Hi, it's my first post, so - Hello!
Can anyone help me to recreate this "airy", gorgeous sounding lead from Depeche Mode's "It's no good"? It is played in the beggining of the song, but it's more hearable from 1:34 to 1:43. I know it will be hard to do it, because it sounds very complicated. I tried many times, but without any satisfying effects.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-QPvffO1gs

Ps. I strongly recommend this song for synth-crazy people, such as it is a really well-produced and great sounding song, filled with nice, analog synths.

Thx !
hey there - you got a good taste in music!

The video is not avaliable here,
but I guess you mean the main theme lead sound.
As far as I can hear it is made with a Wavestation + internal + external effects, layered with a Korg Trinity.
How to reproduce that with a virus... I can try to dial something like this up tonight, but I guess a square sync sound will make a good start. The metallic overtone shift can only be done by wave sequencing (or a wavetable drift, if your Virus has wavetables).
Or you go and buy the fabulous wavestation plugin from Korg and dial in sound 4 "mini lead" or the sound no.4 on another bank that I just don't have in my head right now, it's quite a famous Dave Smith sound also availabe on the Prophet VS
Old 18.02.2011, 01:20 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangrena View Post
It is indeed... I will tell you though when that song came out, DM was still doing a lot with samplers, so sometimes what you hear might be a synth originated sound with LOTS of creative processing that later turns it into a sample, so there are going to be some DM sounds that are impossible to reproduce on the Virus or any synth alone.
Old 18.02.2011, 04:18 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barely View Post
hey there - you got a good taste in music!

The video is not avaliable here,
but I guess you mean the main theme lead sound.
As far as I can hear it is made with a Wavestation + internal + external effects, layered with a Korg Trinity.
How to reproduce that with a virus... I can try to dial something like this up tonight, but I guess a square sync sound will make a good start. The metallic overtone shift can only be done by wave sequencing (or a wavetable drift, if your Virus has wavetables).
Or you go and buy the fabulous wavestation plugin from Korg and dial in sound 4 "mini lead" or the sound no.4 on another bank that I just don't have in my head right now, it's quite a famous Dave Smith sound also availabe on the Prophet VS
Thanks - that's a BIG help for me ! If you "dial" something - please send me a link to email - I'll be grateful.

One more time - thanks.