Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 24.01.2004, 06:57 AM
This forum member lives here

Default DDR-RAM

Hi,

I recently purchased an additional 512mb DDR-RAM for my G5, with the intention of upgrading my system to 1.25GHz, but what I did not realise was that I already had 1.25GHz DDR-RAM (yes I know, I AM a complete idiot)

My question is this: Is there REALLY a need to be running a G5 at 1.77GHz (3 X 512mb) DDR-RAM????????????????? Or should I try and sell the extra RAM???

I know this is a pretty trivial question, but as you can probably tell I lack knowledge in the computer tech arena...

Thanks guys (and Gals!)

Jason

P.S I also bought another 80Gb internal hard drive, is it true that if I run my software on one, and my samples and other non musical related crap on the other that my system will perform more smoothly, or should I just use the extra drive to backup all my data??? Thanks again!
Old 24.01.2004, 08:08 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Well, it depends on how much of a power user you are; but you really can't have too much memory. Might as well stick it in. I have a dual 2.0 G5 with 1.5GB, I'm sure it's overkill, but it performs like mad.

As far as the hard drive/performance question: I've done it both ways and haven't really been able to tell a discernible difference...but it's nice to have all your data on one drive and OS & programs on the other just for security purposes.
Old 24.01.2004, 10:46 AM

Cheers for the advice!

I'd have to agree....u cant have TOO much memory, so looks like the extra 512mb is going in.......

Almost wishing I had gone with the dual 2Ghz, instead of opting for the cheaper option, the single 1.6Ghz.....oh well

Thanks!
Old 27.01.2004, 04:43 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

true - you can't have too much memory on a PC or a MAC. I run a pc @ home and lots @ work for office use and for audio production, and I've definatly noticed a differece running OS/programs on one drive and all the audio you're using on the other. I assume it's the same for a MAC.
Old 28.01.2004, 10:30 AM

If I were to run my OS and software on the one hard drive, what would be the recommended capacity??? Im thinking that a 40Gig HD would be suitable.....is that about right? And then use the 80Gb HD that came with the G5 for Data/samples etc.......
Old 29.01.2004, 01:48 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

For just the OS and software 40 g should be lots. I think you'd be hard pressed to fill even 10 g with just software and OS. Make sure though, that in each of your programs if there's temp directories used, that you set them to an easy to find location on your audio/data drive. If you're buying new drives make sure that they are at least 7200 RPM. 10 000 RPM if you can afford it.