Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 11.07.2006, 06:25 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to dseabra Send a message via MSN to dseabra
Default Virus C Sound Design Tutorial

Anybody knows a place that explain with easy words how the virus works? Matrix Modulation, Oscilattors, envelopes? (I know about the analog world but I don't know it ON Virus, I'm getting lost on programming it)

I KNOW that it cames with a tutorial book, but I don't got very well about what it explain the things...

PLEASE DON'T BE MAD...If my question is "stupid" please, just don't say nothing, I'm here needing help....

Thanks!! CHEERS!!!

I hope you enjoy it!
Old 11.07.2006, 06:51 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Have you tried Howard Scarr's tutorial on the Access website?
Old 11.07.2006, 07:55 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Same overhere

Hi

i'm having the same problem (also to do with my lack of knowledge when it comes to sound synthesis). I have to say that the manual isn't very clear. Some parts are even left in German (?!). But on the other hand, i do understand that they can't explain all about substractive sound synthesis (theory) AND all about operating the Virus C. But i'm keen to learn so I read lots about it and switch between the manual, this awesome forum and other sites. But a good site would indeed be welcome...

greetz

Conrad
Old 12.07.2006, 04:04 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drammy
Have you tried Howard Scarr's tutorial on the Access website?

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 12.07.2006, 05:29 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Yeah, I did (if you're talking about the one with the tutorial sounds etc called programming analogue synths). It's indeed a good one, but maybe there was another one...

thanks
Old 12.07.2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maunga
Yeah, I did (if you're talking about the one with the tutorial sounds etc called programming analogue synths). It's indeed a good one, but maybe there was another one...

thanks
I dont think there are any Virus specific tutorials...probably only subtractive synthesis tutorials.

There are alot of Virus/synth pro's here though, so ask questions if there is stuff you dont understand.

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 22.07.2006, 05:59 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

perhaps it's just my past experience, but i found the virus very easy to get in to. it took me all of 5 minutes to familiarize my self with it. mind you virus control was a god send for that too, because everything is out in the open, and not buried in edit menus.
Old 24.07.2006, 05:07 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to dseabra Send a message via MSN to dseabra
Default Yepa!

Yes Encode, in some parts I agree with you, aren't that monster. This least weekend I've used 24 hours of my time studying the manual, the tutorial and with my face on the Virus Panel (I just don't know how can I don't dreamed with virus too hehehe), too much time and I've got some things that I've started to be familiarized. The Matrix Modulation aren't a big bug for me anymore, whatever I'm not very good yet...

But your familiarization is connected with your past pratice with Synthesizers. I'm a newbie, the Virus are being my first synthesizer that i'm building sounds (I've got a JP-8080 but he is too ridiculous to create sounds and compared with virus it's completely limited), and i can say that aren't a big monster, but it's complicated to learn starting from the 0...very difficult...

Whatever, studying the virus I've got an idea that maybe someone had too: Why don't make an image with a picture of the virus panel with some paints explaining what each thing is and works?

I hope you enjoy it!
Old 24.07.2006, 05:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

The mod matrix is a digital equivelent of all those patch leads on an analog modular, but with each lead having a level control inline with it to determine the amount of modulation.
Old 24.07.2006, 08:56 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

my first experience with a modulation matrix was the waldorf q, so the one on the virus is no news to me. pretty much though, i just learned by messing around with things good sounds came out. and some times some really messed up sounds (misses the positive and negative feedback comb filter on the q)