Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 08.06.2007, 04:53 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default 32-bit apps w/ 64-bit processors...?

more specifically for music production, do 32-bit apps (ableton, virus os2, reason, logic, cubase, etc) work on a 64-bit processor?

if so, would it make a difference + is it worth the extra $ to get one?

thanks!
Old 08.06.2007, 07:38 PM
Veteran
Veteran

32 bit apps work fine on 64bit procs.

They wont make any difference to the 32 bit apps, but when 64bit specific coded software comes out it 'should' take advantedge of them.

tom
Old 09.06.2007, 01:57 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

To take advantage of a 64 bit processor you need a 64bit OS - ie XP64, Vista 64.

To actually use any of your audio gear with that 64 bit OS, you *must* have the correct 64 bit drivers. You cant use your old 32 bit drivers. The problem is very few companies have got off their fat lazy asses and releases 64 bit drivers - particularly for Vista 64 - its not like they havent had a couple of years to plan for this...

Assuming you got those two sorted out - then as ten say - the apps wil generally run fine.

The main benefit of 64 for audio - significantly faster number crunching if everyting is running as 64 bit native (32 bit apps on a 64 bit are not running 64 bit native, so no direct benefit, though system functions they use will be faster of course, so slight benefit), and of course 64 native applications can access way more memory than 32 bit applications - very useful if you want to load up massive sample libraries. 32 bit apps only gain a very slight benefit from this as they still cant acess a huge address space, but I think that more of the 32 bit address can be mapped to application memory - hence the slight gain - ie a 2GB limit may be realisable now in Cubase 4 for example.

Also if runnign a 64 bit DAW, then really you need 64 bit pluggins too. Until VST3 goes fully 64 bit along with 64 bit Cubase 4.2 etc then that aint going to happen either - probaly end of the summer for that, with other DAWs going VST3 and 64 bit probably next year. There is Sonar of course.

Bottom line, basically 64 bit computing for Windows under Vista is still along way off for us.

As far buying a 64 bit platform - well actually its hard not to now. Most if not all new cpus are 64 bit capable. I just wouldnt bother sticking anything other than XP32 on them for your DAW just yet.

I run my PC as a dual boot - XP for DAw, Vista 64 for general use. Yes - Live 6 and Cubase 4 will install, I do have 64 bit drivers for my MIDI interface, and betas for my UAD-1 card, but thats it - still no driver for most of my gear so absolutely no point in bothering with trying to do audio on Vista 64 yet.
Old 09.06.2007, 03:52 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

and re: Vista (not trying to go off-topic)- i heard from some other studio heads there was a bit of a problem with the limit on sound (and video) quality with the new os? at least with the home edition, anyway.

basically, what they tried to do was put an upper limit on sound quality to make it harder for people ripping music and movies to get high quality rips.

...is that true?
Old 10.06.2007, 11:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Its way more complicated than that. I dont know the exact details, but my understanding is that when DRM protected audio or video is played back using non-certified secure hardware, then Vista is *required* to degrade the playback quality. By non-certified - that doesnt mean certified by Microsoft, that means certified by whoever regulates HDTV reproduction standards - basically some motion picture industry body.

This I beleive was imposed by the motion picture industry and is a mandatory requirement for implemeting HDTV DRM protection and gaining certification. Apple will have to do the same day as well or get told to piss off by Hollywood.

Both Apple and Microsoft have been involved in trying to resist this in that past.