Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 01.04.2015, 08:27 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default FL Studio & MIDI Problems

Hey all so I've been reading more about the Virus TI2 & FL Studio 11. The general consensus seems to be that FL Studio and the Virus don't mix well? I want to be able to use my Virus at it's full performance. Currently, I am using it as my ASIO Soundcard with a USB input. I am having latency issues, and CPU issues (Get crackling, white noise, distortion, etc)

After reading the manual I saw this, "In general, we recommend you avoid using a USB hub between your computer and the Virus." - I don't really understand what they are asking. How am I supposed to get total integration if I don't connect via USB ?

Also, I use a Novation Launchkey Mini with my setup. Usually I use it get some inspiration / easy access midi but when I plugged the virus TI in the MIDI no longer works. My DAW isn't even registering any movement. I still see the Launchkey Mini in the audio settings. The MIDI is not connected to my Virus but I assumed I could just use it to control the Keyboard in FL Studio. The MIDI will not work with other VSTs either.

Glad to be part of the forum~
Old 01.04.2015, 02:27 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallward View Post
Hey all so I've been reading more about the Virus TI2 & FL Studio 11. The general consensus seems to be that FL Studio and the Virus don't mix well? I want to be able to use my Virus at it's full performance. Currently, I am using it as my ASIO Soundcard with a USB input. I am having latency issues, and CPU issues (Get crackling, white noise, distortion, etc)

After reading the manual I saw this, "In general, we recommend you avoid using a USB hub between your computer and the Virus." - I don't really understand what they are asking. How am I supposed to get total integration if I don't connect via USB ?

Also, I use a Novation Launchkey Mini with my setup. Usually I use it get some inspiration / easy access midi but when I plugged the virus TI in the MIDI no longer works. My DAW isn't even registering any movement. I still see the Launchkey Mini in the audio settings. The MIDI is not connected to my Virus but I assumed I could just use it to control the Keyboard in FL Studio. The MIDI will not work with other VSTs either.

Glad to be part of the forum~
When they say avoid using a USB hub, they mean a physical hub that lets you connect multiple USB devices to. On something like a laptop with limited USB ports, that may seem like a silly request, but the problem with USB hubs is that other devices connected to the same hub can adversely affect the overall USB performance. They are simply saying to try plugging the Virus directly to the computer with no other devices on that port.

I tried FL and a TI2many years ago and was not happy (returned the Virus). I can't say how many of the problems I encountered were related to FL itself, the PC I was using at the time, the state of the Virus driver at the time, etc. This was approx. 2009.

More recently I use Cubase and a Snow, on a PC that has a dedicated USB card, and I still wasn't content with the audio streaming performance over USB. So, my solution was to ditch USB for audio streaming, using it only for MIDI. The audio outs of the Snow go to ins on my auto interface. The USB is used only for MIDI data / to interface the PC with the Virus Control plug-in.

It works great, no more guessing or unpredictability. More cables to deal with but I'll take that tradeoff any day.
Old 01.04.2015, 04:31 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
When they say avoid using a USB hub, they mean a physical hub that lets you connect multiple USB devices to. On something like a laptop with limited USB ports, that may seem like a silly request, but the problem with USB hubs is that other devices connected to the same hub can adversely affect the overall USB performance. They are simply saying to try plugging the Virus directly to the computer with no other devices on that port.

I tried FL and a TI2many years ago and was not happy (returned the Virus). I can't say how many of the problems I encountered were related to FL itself, the PC I was using at the time, the state of the Virus driver at the time, etc. This was approx. 2009.

More recently I use Cubase and a Snow, on a PC that has a dedicated USB card, and I still wasn't content with the audio streaming performance over USB. So, my solution was to ditch USB for audio streaming, using it only for MIDI. The audio outs of the Snow go to ins on my auto interface. The USB is used only for MIDI data / to interface the PC with the Virus Control plug-in.

It works great, no more guessing or unpredictability. More cables to deal with but I'll take that tradeoff any day.
Hmm I'm not sure if I understand. I'm still a noob when it comes to audio setup (been producing for 7 years, and just started buying hardware). I have a Traktor Kontrol S4 that I can use as a sound card, are you saying ditch the Virus as a soundcard and connect more audio cables from the virus to the Kontrol s4? So I'll have my monitors / Virus audio cables hooked up to the Kontrol S4?
Old 01.04.2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Hmm I'm not sure if I understand. I'm still a noob when it comes to audio setup (been producing for 7 years, and just started buying hardware). I have a Traktor Kontrol S4 that I can use as a sound card, are you saying ditch the Virus as a soundcard and connect more audio cables from the virus to the Kontrol s4? So I'll have my monitors / Virus audio cables hooked up to the Kontrol S4?
Yes, I use a Focusrite Saffire external audio interface, ignoring all the other ones I have laying around (the virus has one, the ultranova has one, the PC sound card has one).

I don't know much about the Traktor Kontrol S4, but I assume it gets audio from the unit to the PC via USB -- most likely via at least USB 2.0 speeds (maybe 3.0) which in itself would produce better results than the audio streaming of the Virus, which is limited to USB 1.1 bandwidth.
Old 01.04.2015, 08:47 PM
Very mucho Newbie

I can give that a shot, but I don't have the extra cables just yet.
Here's a picture of the back of my device. http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/010...g?v=1379018503

The main out will have my monitors plugged in. I'm assuming input channel B is where I'll plug in the Virus.

I'm having some trouble finding the correct cables online. Any cheap links would be great!
Old 01.04.2015, 10:54 PM

Just looking at the device briefly I assume you want 1/4" to RCA, might want to check the Traktor forums for specifics, I hate to be the giver of wrong advice about devices I don't own. My cable situation is mostly just 1/4" to 1/4", except 1/4" to XLR for mono stuff (like microphone), and for the Ultranova I'm using a SPDIF cable simply because it was nice enough to provide that option and I had an open input for it on the interface. It just comes down to whatever inputs you have open and what they take.

You can always get cables cheap from Amazon, usually priced by length.
Old 02.04.2015, 06:03 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Just looking at the device briefly I assume you want 1/4" to RCA, might want to check the Traktor forums for specifics, I hate to be the giver of wrong advice about devices I don't own. My cable situation is mostly just 1/4" to 1/4", except 1/4" to XLR for mono stuff (like microphone), and for the Ultranova I'm using a SPDIF cable simply because it was nice enough to provide that option and I had an open input for it on the interface. It just comes down to whatever inputs you have open and what they take.

You can always get cables cheap from Amazon, usually priced by length.
Just ordered some RCA cables so will try your idea out soon. Only cost me like $6 so no biggy. Any idea why my MIDI keyboard won't work?
Old 02.04.2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Just ordered some RCA cables so will try your idea out soon. Only cost me like $6 so no biggy. Any idea why my MIDI keyboard won't work?
No idea, I never had problems with keyboards being recognized as long as it was set correctly as the input in FL. Only thing comes to mind is that maybe a configuration change is occurring in FL when you plug in the Virus. It would have to actually to switch you over from ASIO4ALL or whatever driver you're using to the Virus soundcard driver, and doesn't seem like that would affect your keyboard input but I would check it just the same.

I'd check the Imageline forums for that one, it doesn't sound Virus specific.
Old 04.04.2015, 08:53 PM
Very mucho Newbie

I'm still getting really bad latency =/ I also get the error on my Virus VST that it is out of sync.

I also tried running the virus in Ableton but I get latency issues as well there.

Should I be using cables like these to connect it to my computer instead of the USB that it came with ?
http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Cable...midi+out+cable
Old 04.04.2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I'm still getting really bad latency =/ I also get the error on my Virus VST that it is out of sync.

I also tried running the virus in Ableton but I get latency issues as well there.

Should I be using cables like these to connect it to my computer instead of the USB that it came with ?
http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Cable...midi+out+cable
Did you set the plugin to use OUT for audio instead of USB? If you don't set the value in the plugin for each part its still sending audio over the USB cable.

If you're 100% sure it's no longer sending the audio through USB, but still getting latency issues, you've got some other issue going on there that is not USB related. USB should be able to handle the MIDI data no problem.