Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 24.07.2015, 03:15 PM
New here
New here

Default Battery powered virus rig?

Hi all!

I am currently thinking about making a small portable rig (something along the lines of a backpack or pedal board bag) for my snow.

So out of that comes a couple of questions:

- I am thinking of the elektron machinedrum or most likely the new electribe sampler to send midi information and making a beat along with it. Which one would you prefer and why?

- Have anyone got some experience to battery power a virus?
Which voltage range would it accept?

- Would something like http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...619332293.html or http://www.dx.com/p/rechargeable-3-o...5#.VbJU7NCBX2A work?

I know 12vdc regulated would be to prefer, but I have yet to find a solution that spit out 9vdc on a separate out without getting to bulky. Or find a dc-dc regulator that can connect more devices at different voltages at the same time.

Old 24.07.2015, 10:16 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Sounds interesting! I can't help with the voltage questions, but I can recommend the old Electribes, over the new ones! The original ES-1 and Mk 2 models are really awesome and fairly cheap, you just need to buy some old Compact Flash cards for storage and sample transfer. Pretty easy to load up samples of any drum machine you've ever heard of and start making beats quickly!

Have heard a few bad reviews of the new models, plus they are much more expensive.

Cheers,

EG
Old 25.07.2015, 10:56 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgus View Post
Sounds interesting! I can't help with the voltage questions, but I can recommend the old Electribes, over the new ones! The original ES-1 and Mk 2 models are really awesome and fairly cheap, you just need to buy some old Compact Flash cards for storage and sample transfer. Pretty easy to load up samples of any drum machine you've ever heard of and start making beats quickly!

Have heard a few bad reviews of the new models, plus they are much more expensive.

Cheers,

EG
Nice ideas. The ES-1 looks pretty interesting. I like that it is fairly small and seems to be pretty intuitive. One thing I would like the sequencer to do is to send different pitches and note lenghts out to the virus. Can you do that with the ES-1?

I know that the new electribe have got quite hard critique and the built quality is nothing like the earlier machines or an elektron. Software wise they seem to have fixed a lot of issues with it already. On paper it seems to do all I want it to expect for some menu diving and not sending motion recorded CC to the virus.

I am fairly to play with the snow without a DAW controlling it. Is there a way to do some kind of motion recording on the virus itself. For example utilise the arp steps? Oh well, time to spend some quality time with it to figure out.
Old 13.09.2015, 02:20 AM
New here
New here

Default So did you try ?

That exactly what i m thinking about.
My actual nomad gear is close to minimum for me.
- powerfull computer with live 9 (maybe a big tablet after)
- my iPad
- akai key25 controller
- virus ti snow
All are fiting into a simple laptop bag. But i stil need power for virus snow !
Me too i thinking virus snow CAN certainly working with a 12v power bank like Intocircuit 26000mah for exemple. it Run on 12v 4a output, enought for virus snow normaly ? Nobody try that Before us ?
did you try this since Mr Dustbrigade ?
Someone try a real access nomade ?
Thanks for your posts
Old 13.09.2015, 01:39 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Have you got an iPhone or iPad? I'm running Genone MIDI Sequencer on my iPad and finding it pretty good for basic sequencing and "spontaneous" play. You could have a bunch of pattern variations programmed for your 4 patches in a multi, on the Snow, and tap them in and out, however you wish.

EG
Old 13.09.2015, 01:54 PM
New here
New here

Default Best midi sequencer on iPad

Yes got an iPad. I m using step poly arp and little midi as sequencer, but genome si also cool. The best si step poly arp for me ! Blade runner trip...
I m interested by midi and audio mux also...
Old 25.09.2015, 02:48 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF2600 View Post
That exactly what i m thinking about.
My actual nomad gear is close to minimum for me.
- powerfull computer with live 9 (maybe a big tablet after)
- my iPad
- akai key25 controller
- virus ti snow
All are fiting into a simple laptop bag. But i stil need power for virus snow !
Me too i thinking virus snow CAN certainly working with a 12v power bank like Intocircuit 26000mah for exemple. it Run on 12v 4a output, enought for virus snow normaly ? Nobody try that Before us ?
did you try this since Mr Dustbrigade ?
Someone try a real access nomade ?
Thanks for your posts
Nice to see that others think in the same direction. No, I have not done this yet. I am still debating on the best way to control it without spending way to much on accessories. I am a little bit different in the way that I want to get rid of the computer and have something fun and hands on for busking or jamming with friends. Have you went on and done anything out of it yet?

I think I will aim for a different battery that seems to be more stable than the one I linked in the first post. The one I have in my mind now is http://www.amazon.de/20000mAh-Extern...nker+powerbank

I have been looking through a lot of CCTV batteries, batteries for medical devices, some small UPS's etc. Ideally I would like to have multiple outs (at least one 12v and one 9v, enough amp and power). But there is always something that does not fit. So might go for a 12v aimed for sensitive electronics. I also saw that some portable speakers do actually have a small lead acid battery built into them, so there is also the possibility to hijack some power if I include something like that in the future.

Sequencer wise I am leaning towards the electribe sampler once it drops down in price a little bit (Or if I happen to find an Octatrack for max 600 euros). The only downside I see there is that I need something else to dial in the parameters on the snow. Would a midi controller with endless rotary encoders be compatible with the snow? And would that enable it no not "jump" between values? The Doepfer pocket dial looks promising if it does what I hope it does. But any other (the smaller, the better) suggestions for ways to control CC are welcome. Link to the Doepfer: http://www.doepfer.de/pd.htm