Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.02.2008, 06:33 PM
New here
New here

Default Virus TI - Live Performance?

Hello all,
I am in the market for a new synth, and the Virus TI is definitely at the top of my list. I can only afford the desktop version, which is fine because I already have other keyboards/controllers. While I am intrigued by the integration features, my main use will be stand-alone for live performances with my band. My idea is that the Virus will be the "brain' for my synth rig. I expect to predominately use Multi Mode, and to have each Multi Patch essentially be a "scene" for my rig (3 Midi keyboard controllers sending signals to different channels of the MultiPatch). So basically, it will be the equivalent of having 3 different Virus synths on-stage (of course, with less polyphony). Each time I change a Multi Patch, I will essentially be changing patches for each of my 3 controllers. Do you all see any problems with this? From the forum, it seems that the Virus has issues if you exceed the polyphony in Multi Mode, but I am guessing that it can easily handle 3 simulataneous channels in most situations.

Here are some other ?s I have pertaining to live performance:

1) How effective is the tap tempo? Can I trigger tap tempo with an external MIDI pedal? Can I slave other synths to this tempo?

2) I am assuming it is possible to send MIDI parameter messages (knob turns) as well as note-on messages to seperate channels of the Multi-Patch (so I can use MIDI controller knobs to tweak parameters on other channels besides the one the TI desktop knobs are controlling)?

3) I can route different MultiPatch channels to different outputs?

4) Can I use one channel in a MultiPatch as an external audio input processor, and the other channels as internal synths?

Can the TI do what I want? Any other live features come to mind that I might be interested in? Any problems that I might not be aware of with this setup? Thanks.

-Eric
Old 22.02.2008, 09:29 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezak123 View Post
I expect to predominately use Multi Mode, and to have each Multi Patch essentially be a "scene" for my rig (3 Midi keyboard controllers sending signals to different channels of the MultiPatch). So basically, it will be the equivalent of having 3 different Virus synths on-stage (of course, with less polyphony). Each time I change a Multi Patch, I will essentially be changing patches for each of my 3 controllers. Do you all see any problems with this? From the forum, it seems that the Virus has issues if you exceed the polyphony in Multi Mode, but I am guessing that it can easily handle 3 simulataneous channels in most situations.
I cannot speak for the Virus TI but I've been using the multi-mode feature live on the Virus KC since the synth debuted years ago and it has been the BEST thing ever for live performance. I typically use between 6 to 7 different patches mapped out across the keyboard while some ov my sounds are from a Kurzweil K2000R that I can trigger from the KC as well. I've never had trouble with polyphony.

Quote:
Here are some other ?s I have pertaining to live performance:

2) I am assuming it is possible to send MIDI parameter messages (knob turns) as well as note-on messages to seperate channels of the Multi-Patch (so I can use MIDI controller knobs to tweak parameters on other channels besides the one the TI desktop knobs are controlling)?
So long as you enable transmission ov sysex data, this shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
3) I can route different MultiPatch channels to different outputs?
Yes.

Quote:
4) Can I use one channel in a MultiPatch as an external audio input processor, and the other channels as internal synths?
Yes
Old 22.02.2008, 02:15 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for the response. Sounds like the TI can handle what I want to do. Funny, the KC has less than half the polyphony of the TI, but I see a lot of complaints that the TI gets maxed-out with more than 5 simultaneous patches in Multi. I guess these guys must be using unison patches or tons of effects.