Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 26.01.2008, 10:27 PM
New here
New here

Default Virus Ti - Filter cutoff won't track Portamento..?

Hi,

Recently bought a Virus Ti - amazing machine!!
I've become very familiar with structure and programming of the Ti, but can't get Filter Cutoff Freq to glide in sync with Oscillators when Portamento is applied. I've set 'Key Follow' to max in the Filter edit section, so the Freq is tracking perfectly, but jumps immediately from note to note while the Oscillators glide as Portamento value is increased. According to page 109 of the Virus Manual, Portamento should affect both Osc Freq and Filter Freq, but apparently this is not so.
It would be useful, for instance, to play pitched Noise by applying resonant filtering (with Key Follow) and using Portamento on the Filter Cutoff Freq.
Although the Matrix section is VERY versatile, there seems no way to get around this limitation. Any ideas anyone?
Perhaps a future firmware upgrade could address this...??

Thanks for listening!

Aitch
Old 27.01.2008, 10:26 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

I may just be tired and answering this entirely wrong, but what about putting your synth in Legato mode as opposed to Poly?
Old 27.01.2008, 10:17 PM
New here
New here

Hi RASP,

I've already tried with all Mono legato modes as well as Poly mode, and still can't get the Filter freq to glide SLOWLY between played notes. Whatever the Portamento value, the Filter freq jumps rapidly between notes, while the Osc pitch glides slowly.
I guess it's a built in limitation, but I won't complain too much as the Virus is, in most respects, an amazing piece of kit, which responds to almost any programming trick I throw at it!
Thanks anyway for taking the trouble to reply to my post.

Best wishes,

Aitch
Old 28.01.2008, 04:26 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Yeah, amazing DSP power but its still not control voltages.

I don't own a modular synthesizer but I wonder if this is possible. Portamento on a control voltage synth is a lag processor somewhere in the key control.
Old 28.01.2008, 05:42 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Check out if there's portamento in the source list of modulation matrix. If I recall right it should be there, at least on the B-series.
Old 28.01.2008, 09:09 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L View Post
Check out if there's portamento in the source list of modulation matrix. If I recall right it should be there, at least on the B-series.
Your right, its abbreviated name is "PortaSw."
Old 28.01.2008, 05:47 PM
New here
New here

Thanks everyone, for replies!
Tried your suggestion - unfortunately, the 'Portamento Sw' (matrix source) only represents an ON/OFF controller (similar to sources such as Hold Pedal etc.)

As RASP stated - in older analogue synths, Portamento applies 'lag processing' to the voltage control of Osc pitch, giving slow transition between note changes. The Virus Ti, doesn't seem to have it 'wired' to affect slow transitions between Filter frequency.
I'll try emailing Access - perhaps they'll consider it in a future firmware update.

Thanks again,

Aitch