Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 06.12.2004, 04:58 PM
New here
New here

Default Checksum Error problem

Hello. I recently purchased a Virus Classic desktop synth, and I decided that I would like to update the unit to 8 banks. After downloading the update, I tried to load it into the unit, only to receive a Checksum Error message. I tried to update it using Pro Tools LE 6.4, Nuendo 2, Sonar 3, and Windows Media Player. I also had the tempo set very low. The interface I use is a Digidesign 001, and I am running Windows XP Pro on an AMD based computer.

I checked through the manual, searched here, and contacted Access, but have been unable to figure anything out. I would like to know if anyone here has any suggestions. I wonder if it might be my 001, but I don't have another interface handy to try. If anyone has any information that might be useful, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 08.12.2004, 11:21 AM
This forum member lives here

There are a few settings that need to be made, for optimizing the Virus for use with sequencers, which is covered in the manual...

Once these have been made, if you are using the Virus with PT (or any others) and having no problem sending/recieving MIDI from the Virus, the update should be relatively easy..

Go through the manual...all information is there (sorry dude, I cant be fucked pulling out the manual and copying words from it....)

Dont give up!!!!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 09.12.2004, 12:26 AM
New here
New here

I have read the manual, and have done everything specified. Actually, the unit works fine with my software otherwise, although if it is worth anything, the loopback test in Sounddiver didn't complete. I have the unit set to the same channel as the software, I have disabled Midi Clock RX, enabled Midi dump RX, set the tempo very low, and I still get the checksum error. It occurs almost immediately after I press play. Also, just to be sure that the manual wasn't wrong, I went back and tried the update with different settings. This is why I am looking for specific information. The manual hasn't helped, and I though that perhaps someone here who has either had the problem or who has done this successfully could comment on what might be going wrong.
Old 09.12.2004, 09:24 AM

Could very well be the 001 then...

Is there a MIDI driver update??? Perhaps you can get an external MIDI interface, but I guess a solution that doesnt lead to the purchase of more gear would be better...

Hope someone else here can lend a hand?

Good luck!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 09.12.2004, 09:05 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

How fast do you play back the MIDI-file (BPM)? I think a had a similar problem that was solved by lovering the the BMP-rate...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 09.12.2004, 09:07 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Default Re: Checksum Error problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD
I also had the tempo set very low.
Oh, sorry, missed that...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 13.04.2005, 03:27 PM
New here
New here

Send a message via MSN to thedjfx

I'm having a similar problem trying to dump the contents of my Virus into Logic7. My MIDI interface is a MOTU 828mk2
The data seems to record into logic OK as I can go into the "Event" editor and see the data in there - so far so good.

Now, this used to work fine in my Atari ST days, but when I try and play the data back to the Virus (Sysex receive is set to "Enable") I get an error message on the Virus display saying "invalid sysex checksum" and the patches refuse to load properly - the names are all jumbled up etc..
The litte "SE" appears in the top left of the Virus display, so I know its receiving something, but I'm not sure if theres some other setting I'm misssing, or if Logic is distorting the data in some way?
My MIDI interface is MOTU 828

I've posted this on a few forums now, but no joy so far!

Anyone managed to solve this yet?
Old 13.04.2005, 09:43 PM
Pro
Pro

The Digi is probably the problem, though it should work. I'd only use the digi to play the file as having other programs trying to use the digi's midi ports will only end in tears. Make sure the digi is all up to date with patches etc. and I had to make the digi002 playback very slowly to get it to load properly when I originally did it (60bpm or so).

Have you tried re-downloading the file? it could be corrupt.

If you are still having problems you might try the digidesign forums as they are usually pretty good.

If all else fails buy a midi interface as that is what I did and loading patches, os updates etc was suddenly a lot less painful, but then doing updates wasn't the reason I got one.
Old 14.04.2005, 04:24 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I had problems once with 5 meter midi cables. I swapped it over with a 1 meter cable and it worked.
Old 14.04.2005, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs
I had problems once with 5 meter midi cables. I swapped it over with a 1 meter cable and it worked.
and even if your cables arent that long - if they are cheap then chances are they could be dodgy. try borrowing a set from a friend....

cheers

blay