Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 24.04.2009, 01:27 PM
New here
New here

Default Why choosing a Virus TI polar vs a Moog voyager electric blue? please help!

Hello guys.

i was saving money for a couple of months to buy a good synth for my studio.
its gonna be my first and i have no special knowledge about them and the actual differencies.

Please help: why getting a virus TI polar over a Moog voyager? they both cost too much and i dont want to regret it. Please let me know about their basic differencies..

An other plan crossing my mind is that for the same money i could get both a virus TI snow and a Moog little phatty, so i am in both worlds.. (is this wrong?)

And... does virus TI polar worth the extra money over the cheaper virus TI snow? (i know that a big difference is that SNOW is keyboardless but that wouldnt be a problem since i have a 49 keys midi keyboard)

Please help a guy make the wise choice...

Thanx in advance
Old 24.04.2009, 01:49 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Err...sorry...

But if you don't know even the basic differences between a TI Polar or a Voyager...then why you buy a synth...

Basic difference : Polar is Poly, Voyager is Mono

For the rest they are two different worlds.
Old 24.04.2009, 02:39 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undc10ud View Post
Hello guys.

i was saving money for a couple of months to buy a good synth for my studio.
its gonna be my first and i have no special knowledge about them and the actual differencies.

Please help: why getting a virus TI polar over a Moog voyager? they both cost too much and i dont want to regret it. Please let me know about their basic differencies..

An other plan crossing my mind is that for the same money i could get both a virus TI snow and a Moog little phatty, so i am in both worlds.. (is this wrong?)

And... does virus TI polar worth the extra money over the cheaper virus TI snow? (i know that a big difference is that SNOW is keyboardless but that wouldnt be a problem since i have a 49 keys midi keyboard)

Please help a guy make the wise choice...

Thanx in advance
I think that the question you need to ask yourself is... what kind of sounds do you want to make?

http://www.themoodchannel.com
Old 24.04.2009, 02:50 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

The Moog Voyager is a monophonic synthesiser. That means it can only play one note at a time.
The Voyager is also a true analog synthesiser. Many musicians feel that true analog sounds better.

The Virus TI Polar, on the other hand, is a polyphonic synthesiser. That means it can play lots of notes at the same time, so you can do chords and things like that.
The Polar is also multitimbral, which means it can play many different sounds (also known as "patches") at the same time. The voyager cannot do this.
The TI Polar is a virtual analog synthesiser. That means that it's digital, so uses microprocessors, solid state memory, etc, but it mimics the layout and functionality of a true analog synthesiser.

If you have never bought a synthesiser before, I have a few recommendations for you:

1. Get some sequencer software such as Cubase, Logic, Ableton, etc. Then download some VST synthesiser and try using those. A VST is a computer program that you run from within your sequencer (eg cubase) which mimics a real piece of audio gear. So for example, download some VST synthesisers, also known as Software Synthesisers or Softsynths, and try playing around with that. Learn to use the functions of the softsynth, figure out what things you like and what things you can probably do without. Then when it comes time to buy a real, hardware synthesiser, you have a better idea of whether FM modulation and independent effects per timbre is something you really want or not.

2. Go to your newsagent and buy a copy of a pro audio magazine called Sound on Sound. Read it. This will vastly improve your knowledge of synthesisers. If you see a word in the magazine and you don't know what it means, ask someone here, or better yet google it :>

3. Seeing as you've never owned a synthesizer before, maybe you should consider buying something cheap to learn on before you splash out on a Beast™. :> Consider Doepfer's Dark Energy, for about £400, or Waldorf's Blofeld, for around £300. You can always sell these on later if you decide you don't like them.

For me, I went for the Virus because I wanted a main, "workhorse" synthesiser that could do lots of things well, and more importantly lots of things at the same time. I would love to own a Voyager but it's a huge amount of money to pay for something that can only make one sound at a time.

Hope this helps.. :>

-Annikk
Old 24.04.2009, 03:04 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

By the way, I know you said you were considering the Polar.... why the Polar, out of interest? Why not the full TI Keyboard? That would be closer to the price of a Voyager anyway, and if you can afford it I'd recommend it for the extra processing power and general increase in awesomeness, and also because of this:

In a darkened room it's like Tokyo at night.
Sometimes I look at my Virus and just look, and stare, and sigh happily. It is a beautiful piece of kit, moreso than any other synthesiser I've ever seen in the flesh.

-Annikk
Old 24.04.2009, 03:16 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I have a Moog LP Stage II and a Snow, it's heaven! Price was right too, I don't think you can get that kind of sound variety and value elsewhere for their combined price.

@annikk: gorgeous pic of the virus!
Old 24.04.2009, 03:19 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Sorry Annikk....but a TI can never beat a Voyager at night...
(btw..i own a Voyager SE & a TI Desktop)

Old 24.04.2009, 03:29 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Ah, trufax.. Voyagers are dead sexy too. But I've never seen one in the flesh, so my point stands! =P

-Annikk
Old 24.04.2009, 04:16 PM
New here
New here

Default ohh come on...!

I didnt say i dont have music production knowledge. i have ableton live with thousands of vsts and pluggos...

i just never had a "real" synth... something to touch and feel.
my studio is flooded with midi controllers, mixing desks and effect processors.

true... nothing can beat a voyager at night... but i dont need a synth for decoration... hehehe... kidding.

i think i am going for the virus TI polar at my local studio equipment store. i love how the TI desktop looks... but i the specs of the virus keyboard are great. built quality ech.

i will also try to save some more money to buy a Moog little phatty in a couple of months... I just noticed LP has a KILLER bass sound. now i get why they use to say analog is better sounding...

My conclusion is... Virus TI series are maybe the most spacey sounding machines on earth.. with limitless possibilities.

Correct me if i am wrong..

ps: THANK you all for helping me guys. equipment of this prise, need really good thinking...
Old 24.04.2009, 05:35 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undc10ud View Post
I didnt say i dont have music production knowledge. i have ableton live with thousands of vsts and pluggos...
That's how i worked before...thousands of VSTs and plugins...but do you really use them to the fullest..??

I noticed that having lots of plugs didn't help my production at all....my best songs are done with just a sampler, bass synth (Studio Electronics ATC) and a MPC2000XL.

Thats why i quitted using the computer for producing and just use it for recording with the basic plugs....i think i lost the overview when you download any plug you can find and try to use it in your song.

Anyways....i think the Virus Polar will be a great choice...and no plugin can beat that...