Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 15.09.2005, 02:05 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Lukas
Default Hello Producers ! :)

hello,

im rather amateur,
i want to build my small studio.
at present i have :

PC :
mainboard : NEO 3 MSI 865PE
CPU : Pentium 3 GHZ
RAM 512 KINGSTON

midi keyboard - Yamaha Psr - 60
Access Virus C
music card : m-audio audiophile 192

Software : Ableton Live 2
Cubase Sx 3
Fruity Loops 5

I want to buy mixer which will be good for me, and have mic input and headphones, i want also have connected acitve monitors which ill buy in a future ( i hope in a near future), access virus C and Roland Jp 8000 (no near future but ill buy) what else ? ... hmm ...

please give me some advices, which will help me.

tell me what you will choose, but remember about price im not a milionere
Old 15.09.2005, 04:44 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

HAHA you must be GERMAN
Old 15.09.2005, 05:06 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Lukas

no ... im Polish ...
Old 15.09.2005, 07:03 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Ok good for you!!! Now go get a mackie mixer and some genelec monitors! Also a good neumann mic and some sennheiser headphones!

GL & HF!

-VR
Old 15.09.2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hi Lukas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvanrij
Ok good for you!!! Now go get a mackie mixer and some genelec monitors! Also a good neumann mic and some sennheiser headphones!

GL & HF!

-VR
Genelecs and Neumanns, lol, I think it depends on the budget!

How many (mixer) channels would you like, and what will you be doing with the mixer? Purely for routing duties, or for a full mix-down? or will you be using the Cubase/sequencer mixer for mixdown? Let us know what software/hardware you will be using for what purpose.

Also, what will you be recording with the mic? Vocals, or guitar/instruments, or whatever?

Welcome, anyway!

Timo
Old 15.09.2005, 09:36 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvanrij

GL & HF!

-VR
Strange advice as both those brands have fallen out of favour with professionals in the last couple years. Mackie have changed ownership and apparently their new mixers can't compete with Soundcraft products. Also alot of studios I know of have ditched their Genelec monitors because of excessively grainy high frequencies
Old 15.09.2005, 11:09 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to Panopticon

Sheesh. Adding a Neumann mic into that setup is like bringing a Ferrari to a mountain bike race. What's he gonna plug it into? A MACKIE? Not to mention A/D's, outboard EQ's & dynamics, an actual decent sounding room, and a source to make the most of it. Don't be fucking retarded... The Genelecs don't get good until you're in the $3000 price range, and at that point you might as well start looking at ADAMS, which trounce the living shit out of every other monitor on the planet (IMNSHO).

Man, if you would like some *helpful* advice, look at these for monitors:
(I don't know what your budget is)

1. KRK V6's or V8's (great monitors w/excellent transient response, they easily let you hear what's wrong in a mix.)

2. HR624's or HR824's (not my favorites, but a lot of people like them, so you might, too)

3. Event Studio Precision 6's or 8's. (These sound really great, killer bass response, a very smooth, linear sound with a nice high end.)

Probably more important than the monitors you choose, however, will be the room treatment and monitor placement. Any of these monitors will do the trick (as well as lots of others), but the best monitors in the world can be ruined by careless placement in small, boxy rooms (which seems to be the trend these days with all the bedroom studios and such.) Take your time and get them placed right, and you'll be able to trust what you hear.

Good luck-

Pan
Old 16.09.2005, 07:27 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Haha oooo I scared all the 'professionals' with my joke
Old 21.09.2005, 01:32 PM
Pro
Pro

I used to have a set of Genelec 1029's but, as Panopticon so rightly says, it's the room that makes all the difference. I'd go for a a used mixer and a pair of good headphones next if I were you Lukas. You should be able to get both for under ?200. I've got an old spirit mixer and a pair of AKG's that do the job for me. Good luck!
Old 21.09.2005, 03:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

For mixer, I'm using a Yamaha 01x+i88x - multi-channel firewire sound card, daw controller, mixer and patch bay all in one - used with a PC and Cubase SX 3.1 and Reason 3
For monitors - Im using a pair of Event TR8XL.
For headphones - AKG240 Studio - very comfortable for extended use, but I dont mix using them - I just dont find headphones good for mixing.

I'm quite happy with the setup - having mixer DAW controller combined is nice - everything controlled from a single console. There also an Expander (the i88x) for the 01x that gives you an additional 8 analog ins, 8 analogue outs and can be further expanded via ADAT optical connection for another 8in+8out.

As others have suggested tho, you could buy the most expensive and perfect speakers on the planet, but if your room is not suitable (or the location of the speakers isnt), then they may still sound terrible.