Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 03.10.2010, 03:42 PM
New here
New here

Default How to create Super Grimey, Heavy, and Gutural wobbles on the virus ti?

Hi all,

I'm really a first time producer, but long time recording engineer and drummer. I just picked up a Virus Polar and wanted to start making some, you guessed it, Dubstep. I've read millions of threads on how to make wobbles with massive or albino but haven't come across too much with people using the virus.

The kind of super heavy, grimey, and gutural sound I'm looking for is that of what you hear with Borgore, Nero, Tomba, Downlink, etc. If anyone has any advice for me that would be great! For all those who own a virus know, it can be a bit overwhelming at first especially for someone just starting production.

Up until now I I have been mainly working in studios as well as with bands and artists as a recoding/mixing engineer. It however has taken so much of my time I haven't played in bands or made any of the music I love so I have decided to start making music again. I am more of the Death Metal kind of guy and that is the reason I am trying to create a more guttural sound rather than your generic wobble to incorporate my live drums with.

I guess as a reference track, the song Guided Relaxation Dub by Borgore is along the lines of what I am more or less wanting to do. I'm really trying to get that guttural YOY YI YI YAA sound if that makes sense. If you have some first hand experience with the virus and have some relative advice, again, I thank you ahead of time!

Oh, and if anyone has any cool wobble patches to share that'd be awesome as well! Thanks!

Last edited by InfectedGrime : 04.10.2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04.10.2010, 01:24 AM
Pro
Pro

Theres a few decent wobble patches already on the TI if you have a dig through - mainly its all in the LFO. Personally I think youll find that with dubstep and dnb - the wobbles are actually bounced down as audio, processed, bounced down, processed, repeat repeat repeat - as well as being layered sometimes 3 times or more to get that really thick drenching sound.

Not to say you cant get a good one out of the TI. It's all in the LFO - try using the filter saturation types, and the distortion fx models - and try using the multiple LFO shapes. The problem for me with making wobs on the TI is that you cant make an LFO sequence like in Massive - where you draw a series of curves so it becomes almost an ARP. If the TI could introduce that - itd be a fucking beast.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 04.10.2010, 07:40 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I went into depth about this on dubstepforum but use the formant osc's and run it into the vowel filter

use automation to get your "YOY" sound

also, like feedingear said.. there are some good patches for this already

check that new richard devine soundset

it's awesome
Old 04.10.2010, 10:34 PM
New here
New here

Thanks guys!

I'll try the formant osc's and I hate to sound like a retard but I kind of am at the moment with the polar, but where do I find these vowel filters your speak of in virus control? I'm not seeing anything of the such on the filter page... Again sorry for asking such dumb questions, but no one really uses the virus for this that i've found and I'm not so well versed with it atm.

As far as automation, what really are you talking about? Like I said, I am an uber n00b at this thing and I've done so much research for the virus but haven't come up with much....

Also, is there a different manual for the virus? The one that came with it was super basic and didn't go over much of anything. At all...

I sincerely appreciate the help guys!
Old 04.10.2010, 10:42 PM
New here
New here

Oh wow! Just saw your post on dubstepforum! Thanks man!!!! I'm going to have fun playing around tonight!
Old 04.10.2010, 10:59 PM
Pro
Pro

Can you link that thread, I wouldnt mind having a read.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 05.10.2010, 01:35 AM
New here
New here

http://www.dubstepforum.com/help-wit...e-t163573.html
Old 05.10.2010, 01:54 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedGrime View Post
Thanks guys!

I'll try the formant osc's and I hate to sound like a retard but I kind of am at the moment with the polar, but where do I find these vowel filters your speak of in virus control? I'm not seeing anything of the such on the filter page... Again sorry for asking such dumb questions, but no one really uses the virus for this that i've found and I'm not so well versed with it atm.

As far as automation, what really are you talking about? Like I said, I am an uber n00b at this thing and I've done so much research for the virus but haven't come up with much....

Also, is there a different manual for the virus? The one that came with it was super basic and didn't go over much of anything. At all...

I sincerely appreciate the help guys!
here is where you can find the vowel filter

The automation happens within your DAW

I can go into detail about how to use automation on Cubase, but that will not help anyone but Cubase users.

anyway, hope you are making some progress

JJ