Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 07.03.2016, 07:41 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default Headphone Impedence

I'm thinking it'll be a good idea to get a set of headphones for mixing and the like.

Currently running soft synthies on a computer and thru the Virus audio outs.

Anyone know what the headphone output of the Virus TI Polar is?

I'm currently considering a pair of AKG K702s which have an impedance of 62 Ohm. Would I need an amp? If so, any suggestions (and trying to keep it cheap!).
Old 07.03.2016, 11:02 PM
This forum member lives here

It gets down to individual preferences and needs, but I've got an aversion to dropping lots of money on headphones, I'd rather put the money into good monitors.

I use Sony MDR 7506 for headphones when I need to keep things quieter, I bought them maybe 7 years ago, I think they were $80 back then, and even cheaper now. Impedance is listed as 63 Ohms, I've certainly never blown them and they work as new despite plenty of abuse (for a while I was in an apartment and had no choice but to mix with headphones). A couple of years ago I replaced the stock ear pads because just like all leather ones they peel off after a while. Velour ear pads are so much more comfortable anyway, and that's one of the good things about them (ubiquity of the model and availability of aftermarket parts).

I bet in a blind test against higher-end headphones it would be hard to tell them apart. This thread reminded me what a great product they turned out to be.
Old 07.03.2016, 11:07 PM

Oh and for me, for the most part amplification to the headphones comes from the amp in the audio interface, Virus outs go into that.
Old 08.03.2016, 09:21 AM
Very mucho Newbie

The Sony's look good but are close-backed and I think open-backed are better for mixing. My setup isn't really conducive to monitors at the moment but I agree they would be preferable. But now I know the AKGs should work with the Virus, thanks.
Old 08.03.2016, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Just upgraded my headphones from AKG K271 mk1 to ATH-M50X a month or so ago and love them, individual instruments sound so clear in a mix. M50X' impedance is only 38Ω so works with anything.

Closed cans, though, for late night noodling when monitors aren't an option.

Always hated the 'pleather' (plastic-leather) earpads of the AKG K271, so did a bit of research and bought some third-party Shure HPAEC940 velour earpads and they fit the M50X like a glove. Nice and comfortable for extended use and no sweating.
Old 08.03.2016, 03:16 PM
Very mucho Newbie

The M50s were on my shortlist (compiled while fact finding) but are close-backed. Do you mix with them? Everyone says you need open-backed for production and mixing.
Old 08.03.2016, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Probably not the best person to ask, was born completely deaf in my left ear so mixing is not my forté, hoho!

The separation and clarity of instruments in mixes in my good ear was still very noticeable in the transition from K271 to M50X, though.

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (also closed-back) was the other headphone on my short list, but people mentioned they had an omni-present low end and a mid scoop. Never got the chance to try them out in person, though.

Sound-on-Sound did a heaphone shootout a few years ago which I referred to when researching:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan1...headphones.htm

They do seem to go for open-backed for mixing where possible.

I only chose closed-back for tracking/playing music at anti-social hours, rather than for mixing down on. I have monitors for that, so I can sort of hear both channels.

Open-wise, the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (semi openback) and 990 Pro (fully open) looked good. 250Ω as standard, though I do believe there are different impedance variations available for each model (32Ω, 80Ω and 250Ω). From what I gather, the higher the impedance the more chance it will need amplifying but could give better sound. 32Ω heaphones can easily be powered from laptop, ipod, etc., 250Ω could possibly need amplifying if you don't have a soundcard or similar to boost it.

Given the low 38Ω impedance of the M50X, the sound is already pretty loud by the time I've turned my Indigo up to a third (when using the Indigo's headphone output). Anything over that is hearing-damage territory.

Like MBTC, though, I tend to route my Virus and other synths into my soundcard and monitor the soundcard via heaphones rather than use the Indigo's headphone-out. Usually soundcards offer some form of amplification for those who need it.
Old 08.03.2016, 04:44 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Ok to that, Timo

I've read all the Best Buys and guides and the Beyers were on the list, too. It seems a very personal decision and, of course, impossible to decide because you can't listen to them over the net!

And, apparently, lots of them need burning in - the 702s for 50-300 hrs! - so that's more impossible.

So just have to be guided by opinion and reviews so it's a bit of a lottery in a sense but I think you'd be ok with any of the recommended ones.

I hope!

I'm just waiting for someone to pop up here and say NOT THE 702S before I place my order
Old 08.03.2016, 09:06 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT View Post
Ok to that, Timo

I've read all the Best Buys and guides and the Beyers were on the list, too. It seems a very personal decision and, of course, impossible to decide because you can't listen to them over the net!

And, apparently, lots of them need burning in - the 702s for 50-300 hrs! - so that's more impossible.

So just have to be guided by opinion and reviews so it's a bit of a lottery in a sense but I think you'd be ok with any of the recommended ones.

I hope!

I'm just waiting for someone to pop up here and say NOT THE 702S before I place my order
I recently got a pair of Sennheiser HD600's which I'm reasonably happy with but to be honest most of the music I make has a lot of low frequencies so any headphones at any price aren't much use because anything less than an 8" woofer is unable to reproduce them.
Old 08.03.2016, 10:29 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Very fair comment.

I'm just trying to make the best of a poor situation.

If your soundcloud is anything to go by, you're doing and awesome job!