Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 10.08.2010, 01:11 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

From reading your previous posts in this thread, it sounds like you are trying to set up 16 individual audio input channels, one for each part for the Virus, which is simply not possible. You max out at 6 possible output channels in mono or 3 in stereo. This means if you are going to use more than 6 parts a time, some are going to have to share outputs. Any FX plugins you apply on a given channel will affect everything that is being piped through that channel. There is no way around this as it's a limitation of the hardware (although 6 seperate outputs is still pretty generous on a synth)

Now you can set up a MIDI channel for each part, but of course this pretty much only gives you volume and panning control for each part.

You can record a part in and apply FX to the recorded audio, but you simply cannot run 16 live parts each with a dedicated input.
Old 10.08.2010, 02:16 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Seeing in many other replies to my question that its the hardware that limits me to this. Whats the best audio interface to use the maximum number of outs the virus can give me (that being six). I know usb will give me...3 right?
Old 11.08.2010, 02:03 AM
Very mucho Newbie

I really don't understand why you need 16 outs. Most of my songs have around 8 tracks max (not including drums) and sound great.

Just use the 3 outputs. If you need more sounds from your virus record the audio into logic and you'll have another 3 channels to use.

It sounds like your trying to push the impossible.

Your interface is fine. Simply run your outputs into a mixer and the mixer into the interface. Job done.
Old 11.08.2010, 07:55 AM
Pro
Pro

Not sure why you dont just bounce them down individually, or use the mixing within the TI plugin to control levels before you do your mix... once your ready to start fine tuning the sounds with your VST effectsor other outboard gear, then bounce as audio.

I use a stack of tracks, and I know that a lot of producers can easily use 2-300 channels for a dnb track (Shock One for example) once you add all the breaks, one shots, and synth fx samples.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 11.08.2010, 03:34 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV1UK View Post
I really don't understand why you need 16 outs. Most of my songs have around 8 tracks max (not including drums) and sound great.

Just use the 3 outputs. If you need more sounds from your virus record the audio into logic and you'll have another 3 channels to use.

It sounds like your trying to push the impossible.

Your interface is fine. Simply run your outputs into a mixer and the mixer into the interface. Job done.
I always thought that a mixer would help alot with the interface but I don't understand inputs and outputs. The virus has 4 stereo outout puts but on the back or top of mixers, I only see one line in. On my M-audio audio interface I only have 8 OUTPUTS and two inputs? That doesn't make sense at all.
Old 11.08.2010, 03:37 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingear View Post
Not sure why you dont just bounce them down individually, or use the mixing within the TI plugin to control levels before you do your mix... once your ready to start fine tuning the sounds with your VST effectsor other outboard gear, then bounce as audio.

I use a stack of tracks, and I know that a lot of producers can easily use 2-300 channels for a dnb track (Shock One for example) once you add all the breaks, one shots, and synth fx samples.
Well the problem with using outboard effects with the TI is that all the parts are coming out through one mixer output so any effect I put on it will globally affect the all the parts. Bouncing to audio will limit me because I wouldn't know if any part needs to be automated prior to bouncing if I wanted to free up the virus for more use.
Old 11.08.2010, 11:00 PM
This forum member lives here

Just my thoughts, I think of bouncing down tracks as a technique that was acceptable in the days of older, more limited mixers (for most people's budget), so I think of it as sort of a last resort technique these days. It's too limiting to workflow, in my personal opinion.

The only reason I can think of for only 3 stereo USB outs on the TI is once again the USB 1.1 limitation. I just hope the next gen Virus opens that bottleneck up.
Old 12.08.2010, 12:12 AM
Pro
Pro

Keep the midi files and automation always.. if you need to edit it or are unhappy with the pass, just go back and do so. But I've said that 100 times already in this and other threads. I bounce a lot of my vst tracks down anyway not only to save cpu, as well as use fx and cut up and edit the waveforms.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 12.08.2010, 03:06 AM

That's true, there are other reasons for doing it other than just overcoming the usb out limit, sometimes I will chop up a waveform just to get a gating effect across multiple instruments. But I guess when I'm doing it as part of the creative process instead of as a limitation workaround, it feels less cumbersome?
I'm not a particularly good producer -- if I were, I would have a clear goal in mind and be able (and have the patience) to do what you said, but since I do it only for enjoyment, anything practical or that requires organization is too likely to feel like work .
Maybe one day I will intentionally start bouncing things down so that I reach for it as a second nature activity, to help remove that pain I have with it.

For the record though, I still think 3 stereo outs needs improvement on a synth costing as the TI2 does.
Old 13.08.2010, 02:11 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
For the record though, I still think 3 stereo outs needs improvement on a synth costing as the TI2 does.
I'm not familiar with the virus (until I get mine ... tomorrow). But 3 outputs is 2 more than my Korg Radias. I paid a lot for my Radias and that thing only has 4 timbres and 1 stero output.

I think 3 outputs are enough if you mix the audio on the virus and use the 3 outputs to send the mixes audio through. When your ready to mix down just bounce the audio accross as seperate channels.

I also dislike/strangely enjoy the boucing, re-edit, re-bounce process. I own an MPC 2500, Korg EMX and Korg Radias. I am forever bouncing audio through. But I do feel this limitiation actually helps the creative process and forces you to become a better player at whatever instrument you play.

Just think, a lot of bands that use live instruments have to retake whole tracks when they mess up. It's no issue for those guys because it's second nature.

I no longer really see it as effort, although I dislike it, I have learnt to be quick at it. I have a USB mixer so recording in is very easy, painless and great quality.