Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 11.05.2009, 03:16 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Propellerhead Software Record

Probably many of you have met the new baby, Propellerhead Software's Record. It is a new recording tool announced officially today and there's a very nice video and some general info about it on the official site.

In a nutshell, it's mainly about making easier the recording process while offering a professional mixer (emulation of the SSL 9000k) and other useful tools such as a very effective time-stretch algorithm and comping and most importantly integration of Reason if you have it installed Now there's no limit if you want to add some Virus to your Reason tracks. The only 'problem' with it realised so far by some of us, is that it's NOT capable of sequencing external MIDI gear

Check it out: http://www.propellerheads.se/products/record/
Old 12.05.2009, 03:11 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Man, that's awesome. I know at least one person who will be very very interested to hear about this :>

Not for me though. Not gonna abandon my poor MS2K after all its years of undeserved neglect.. :>

-Annikk
Old 12.05.2009, 03:29 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Joey

looks like garbage... no VST/AU support?

No midi out?

and no super unique feature that sets it apart?

No one cares, no one sympathizes.
So you just stay home and play synthesizers.

www.myspace.com/the_joey
www.myspace.com/blushresponsenyc
Old 12.05.2009, 03:45 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
looks like garbage... no VST/AU support?

No midi out?

and no super unique feature that sets it apart?
well, it's not meant to be fanboyism, because on the official forums I was very sarcastic about it in some cases BUT:

Propellerheads keep saying that they won't allow people to use their 3rd party plugins because of stabilty and CPU usage. They want it to be a closed but compact application. In fact, I've been using Rebirth then Reason for many years, and they NEVER crashed and are very massive and use a very small amount of CPU power.

Record is mainly for Reason users, who have been praying for audio in capabilities over the years... now it's in, for an additional $149 if you own Reason. It's also for musicians, who want to use a program for quick recording drums, guitars, etc. The only problem with it is really no MIDI out, so keyboardist are also able to record their work, but can not edit it further... I'm sure PHeads will think about that because many and more are complaining.

I'm not into marketing and it's not my business to sell it, but I think it's pretty nice with it's awesome time-stretching algorithm and the modeled SSL 9000 k console. Maybe they should have put all these into Reason 5, but they wanted to give something for the bands.

Watch these also, maybe these present details better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYE5gX7hN80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GI84...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYE5g...eature=related

or sign up for beta testing since it's open now.

I'm really thinking about buying it, shame it's out only in September

Cheers
Old 13.05.2009, 03:38 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I dont get it?!?!?!?

Why use reason when you own a Virus??!!??

Seems like a cheap downgrade to me!!!!!!
Old 13.05.2009, 03:57 AM
Am starting to like this forum

I love Reason and am really excited by Record (mainly the SSL thing). Though, to use that as my main recording solution, I wouldn't be able to use my Virus TI nor my favorite VST effects which I have spent thousands on.

ReWire for an app like Record is just pointless, since Rewire slaves can't recieve audio, so I don't know exactly how useful this app will end up being.

Anyway, I've signed up for the beta and am just waiting to try it out.
Old 15.05.2009, 09:31 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BHG~ View Post
I dont get it?!?!?!?

you got me wrong i think.... this is good news for those who are familiar with Reason, because from now on they can add more and more to their existing projects, have been freezed till "propellerheads implement audio in".

you open record, open your reason songs in it or lay down beats since it integrates Reason devices, fill some tracks with Virus and mix the whole thing down with the new mixer which was another good idea to be put in because many complained about the sound quality this far... we will see, but it's worth a try I think

(and you have a complete production environment without the need to use Reasons synths...)
Old 15.05.2009, 09:36 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BHG~ View Post
I dont get it?!?!?!?

I really like Reason. Probably the fastest thing to make a track in that I've ever come across, even if you need to master the resultant output in another program to get the best sound out of it. Earlier in the week I did 80% of a whole DnB track in my lunch hour on my EEEPC. Not many music apps you can say that of. Also the most intuitive for adding groove/offbeat syncopation to things for humanised drumming, in my book. I agree not being able to use a Virus with it is a real nuisance. I wish Record had midi out capability and that Access wrote some virus integration for it. Imagine being able to do a right click, "create Virus" in your Reason rack. You could limit people to either 4 or 16 open at once, depending on the version of the Virus they had. *drools*

I concede this would most likely never happen though. The whole point of Reason being proprietary/self contained is, as Enfield says, stability and low CPU usage, both of which it has in spades. I know the built in synths can sound a bit 'typically Reason', on their own, but when you get creative with the routing, layering and effects stacks (which thanks to low CPU usage, you can do on even a v. low spec machine), you can get some surprisingly professional sounds out of it: I've managed things that other musicians have mistaken for Absynth and samples of real world sounds.

At present the nearest my Virus gets to reason is being used as the soundcard and occassionally being bounced to .wav from Ableton and loaded into NN-XT.
Old 15.05.2009, 06:31 PM
Pro
Pro

Run Cubase and have reason....I understand the audio in facility - but for $150 seems steep...imho.

Can't see a reason to buy ^^

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx