Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 29.01.2013, 12:43 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

We'll see. Some sources say they are totally DSP...

Or as Dave Smith himself says, the front end is 'digital' because they wanted to be able to do things that analog can't do.
Old 29.01.2013, 01:12 PM
Pro
Pro

Well, rather than relying on "some ether sources", send an email to DSI and hear the truth from their great customer service. Drives me batty when people do not state where they get their sources and tend to believe anything posted by more than likely sour grapes posters. There's a mental-state of some posters on various pro-forums that will actually intentially throw out misinformation in a socialpathic way. Even Dave Smith himself sates in one of his demos they are DCO's just as he has used in past but LIKE the Evolver, of which the "best of the Evolver series technology" he stated is incorp. in Prophet 12 and that is on the Wavetables, output hack, four delays can be places in sugnal path of each osc, et al. Speculative factOIDS without sources have no merit esp. when continuing in repeating such rumourmill without checking for facts. The term "DSP" can be used rather loosely as you can find some DSP chips within even new Moogs...transistor's by another name. Check the source and even call/email Sweetwater in USA. Knowledge sets one free, but slaves one when based on total uncertainly in repeating "what one has simply HEARD without qualifying that repeated uncertainty and is not productive at all.
Old 29.01.2013, 01:14 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe35 View Post
We'll see. Some sources say they are totally DSP...

Or as Dave Smith himself says, the front end is 'digital' because they wanted to be able to do things that analog can't do.
HENCE THE TERM APPLICABLE..."ANALOG/DIGITAL HYBRID"...it's not that difficult to wrap one's head around. I own two DSI monoEvolver keyboards and each voice has two DCO analog osc's and 2 Wavetable DSP Osc's...of whci is part of Prophet 12 archetecture.
Old 29.01.2013, 02:23 PM
Complete Newbie

DSI Forum seems to be down so I can't link to Pym's replies about it. Pym is Chris Hector, a DSI employee.
Old 29.01.2013, 05:25 PM
Complete Newbie

Ok, on the DSI Forum, Pym describes the oscillators as the following:

Quote:
4 Oscillators per voice capable of classic and complex waveforms

Low alias digital oscillators of several flavors: tri, saw, pulse, sine, noise and 4 wavetable based sources
Oscillator params: FM, AM, Sync, Level, Pitch (Coarse+Fine), extended slop algorithm, shape, shape mod/pulsewidth
No "two analog two digital oscillators"
Old 29.01.2013, 07:41 PM
Pro
Pro

No "two analog two digital oscillators"....was an analogy to the Evolver structure.
Why then is Dave Smith himself stating TRUE ANALOG? NEVER in any NAMM videos did he use "ANALOG-MODELING" (VA by another name)???? Are you then trying to say the 5th osc/sub osc would be the ONLY analog osc? Sorry, do not buy it. MY rep at Sweetwater is going to post to my email when he gets time to clear-up this misinformation because Dave Smith has never been known to mince words and call something "real analog" or "analog synth" and it not be true, even as with the Evolver series where most in fact is analog but a good 30% is indeed also digital or more.
Old 29.01.2013, 07:53 PM
Pro
Pro

OR--if Dave Smith is using the word "analog rather loosely", are you saying the new Prophet 12 would be more like the Waldorf Q+ where you had DSP modeled osc's of various type (and to this day the Q is hard to really call a "VA"), and LIKE the Q+, having REAL ANALOG LPF, HPF, VCA? Digital EG's and Digital 4 LFO's?
Old 29.01.2013, 11:15 PM
Complete Newbie

you must be watching a different Dave Smith than the one in the video above, where he says "...It has a digital front end..." and "... we went with digital because there were things we wanted to do that you just couldn't do with analog..."
Old 30.01.2013, 12:24 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
you must be watching a different Dave Smith than the one in the video above, where he says "...It has a digital front end..." and "... we went with digital because there were things we wanted to do that you just couldn't do with analog..."
I do happen to occupy myself within an alternate dimension of time and space from result of a rather nasty series of military experiements...however, there's aspects to the DSI Prophet 12 that ARE analog and it's not 'wishful thinking' nor any aversion to digital--hell, I have two DSI monoEvolverKeyboards with Desktop Evolvers polychained and am on this forum for a reason for love of the virus KB/KC.
"Language is a virus from outerspace...", and somehow think you are stumbling over it because in all tense, we both are correct, as it indeed is a hybrid, even if the analog portion(s) are within the filters/vca. Nice thing about NAMM is it brings about critical thinking and communication that perhaps may not have taken place otherwise. My ego nor id have any requirement to be 100% correct but think agreeing to disagree until full specs are actually posted on DSI website (they are not), we may just have to both wait and until then, move-on and twiddle knobs and make music or at least digital and/or analog screams into space.
Old 30.01.2013, 03:30 AM
Complete Newbie

I never said the filters weren't analog.

Quote:
The Prophet 12 is DSP-based for the oscillators. Not DCO.
I'm pretty sure the specs Pym posted on the DSI Forums are accurate. Since he works there and all...