Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 08.12.2004, 08:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mcoyote
Default Plausible music generators

My primary means of composing are either FLStudio and just banging stuff out on the controller or with my Proteus. I've been fiddling around with some sound design lately, however, and I've been curious how to stretch my new designs to see how they fit under a variety of conditions.

In the software world, a unit test harness is how you push new code around to see what it does. With this gear I played around with MIDI files I got from here and there (folk songs, pop songs, etc.) and then I stumbled across a couple of music generation software packages.

They're not very deep, but they are a passable way to generate tracks that are (a) out of the box, that is to say, not my usual stuff, and (b) still work together (synchronized, in the same keys and scales, etc.). If I want to try out an entire drum kit or all of the expression in patch, these help.

My personal favorite, for both price and features, is something called "A Musical Generator" ( http://www.musoft-builders.com/links/amg.shtml ).

Its claim to fame is that you can take a variety of algorithms -- basic curves, dynamic systems, fractals, more arbitrary stuff -- and map them in various ways into keys and scales of your choosing.

It does live playback pretty well and also generates MIDI files. A couple of drawbacks include only being able to hit one MIDI controller at a time (my UM-550 represents as five over USB, one for each port), requiring me to chain up my gear, and it only supports one key/scale per pass.

You can apply separate, configurable algorithms to notes, duration, velocity, and (to a degree) time delay and controller changes for each MIDI channel. Arbitrary MIDI events can also be scheduled into the system.

Another item I picked up is a "ambient music generator" called Sounder. It's interesting, but not nearly as versatile. The upside is that it is designed as a perpetual generator -- you could run it (also drives MIDI devices live) and it will go forever ( http://www.sounder.com/ ).

Because these two cast their respective algorithms into functional keys and scales, what is generated doesn't sound like a mess and is listenable -- feeding drum kits is actually a lot of fun with AMG. With some work, you wouldn't feel too bad letting other people hear this stuff either.

ED: Also, I've had some fun with okonsar's tools ( http://www.okonsar.com ). Less refined, and some of these functions are already in packages such as FLStudio, but they're interesting. Applications include arpeggios, asymmetrical patterns, bass lines, polyphony, progressions, and twelvetones (all free).

(Note that his files thatn end in ".rar" are in a zip-like format called WinRar -- the software can be found at http://www.rarlab.com )

I realize this is probably a little dorky, but I've actually had a good time with this stuff and thought the information may be useful to others. Has anyone else here ever used something like this?
Old 08.12.2004, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Plausible music generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoyote
...A couple of drawbacks include only being able to hit one MIDI controller at a time (my UM-550 represents as five over USB, one for each port), requiring me to chain up my gear...
Actually, their latest beta supports up to 128 tracks and multiple port/channel combinations.
Old 09.12.2004, 03:57 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Not to state the obvious, but have you considered Max (and possibly even MSP)? It's a lot of money, but well worth it in my opinion.

www.cycling74.com

Shame it doesn't run on anything but OS-X / WinXP though... they could do with a Linux version.

-diskonext
Old 09.12.2004, 04:37 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

ive understood max is a kind of language...
are thos open code sequencers,modular stracture sequencers?
Old 09.12.2004, 05:54 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

I'm not sure whether the second half of your post was in reply to me, or...

Anyway. Yeah Max is like a graphical language, it has a rather steep learning curve but once you are fluent you can do about anything:

- algorithmic music
- advanced control structures
- GUI elements
- etc.

There is even the option to integrate ECMAscript (javascript), java and LISP into your structures. The MSP side adds synthesis options, including oscillators, filters, (i)FFT and other goodies.

You are only limited by your imagination, knowledge and the muscles in your mouse-arm

-diskonext
Old 09.12.2004, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskonext
Not to state the obvious, but have you considered Max (and possibly even MSP)? It's a lot of money, but well worth it in my opinion.
Reminds me of ArtWonk/MusicWonk. Those are 4GLs as well -- all graphical operators strung together with virtual cabling. This can be found at http://algoart.com/ . These have steep learning curves as well. Learing all of the operators, basic everyday stuff, etc.

ArtSong ( http://www.artsong.org ) is somewhat between Music Generator and these others. The GUI is organized in a facsimile of tracks along a timeline, similar to what I'm used to with piano roll editors and such, but its tracks are individual algorithms.

Music Generator is instrument oriented and very little timeline control -- though you can insert arbitrary events it's organized in a vertical list, so you don't get a sense of the flow of things just looking at it. The upside is it offers more direct access to the algorithms and instruments.

I have experience with 4GL environments (Reason approximates this, attractively) from other settings, and they are powerful metaphors for some things, such as complex inter-relationships, but they tend to make time-oriented stuff and control structures (loops, etc.) a pain.