Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 16.07.2004, 12:40 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Vintage Studer desk.....(is mine!)

Oh dear......I am in trouble again!

My lecturer at school is selling his vintage Studer analogue desk, and ever since he told me about it I havent stopped dreaming about owning it. He reckons the mic preamps and EQ on this thing are just superb! Imagine it as a front end for my DAW.....10 mic pre's, and sweet EQ! At AUD$5000, that's $500 per mic pre. I could spend $2000 on just 1 Avalon class-A mic pre.....

My lecturer knows his sh*t and reckons this thing is amazing, and has to sell it for whatever reason. he has just serviced it, replaced the faders with high quality P&G faders, and put in direct outs on the insert points.

Anyone here have any comments to make? Anyone have any experience with Studer consoles?? Anyone think I would be wasting my money????

Cheers,

Jase
Old 16.07.2004, 09:57 PM

It's out of my league I'm affraid. I would love a really nice analogue desk though (I like the analogue desks better than the low to meduim budget digital desks by the way). $5000 on a desk is way more than I could ever dream on spending.

How many channels, sends/returns and groups? - Just to make me become more jealous. hehe
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 18.07.2004, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
How many channels, sends/returns and groups? - Just to make me become more jealous. hehe
it is a 10 X 2 mixer......(or could that be 8 X 2???) anyways....so I get 10 preamps, with some nice EQ, mid sweepable (I think). Im not really too sure on all the specs, but I am going to see it maybe tomorrow night, or this week sometime, and I will let you know the full specs then. I think it is a really basic mixer, apparently didnt even have direct outs from the channels....he has modified the inserts to be direct out.

If you think about it, I could pay AUD$2000-$4000 for a couple of Avalon class-A mic pre's.....or some lower end valve pre's...But with this desk I am getting 10 vintage studer preamps with sweet EQ. Think of it as buying little channel modules....Like Neve/SSL channel strips. This is the type of thing that Lenny Kravitz has tons of because they have a particular sound.

My lecturer was telling me, that "when you walk into a room with a Neve console, urei outboard, studer analogue 24 track, all you have to do is place a mic near your sound source and you have that big international sound. It's the equipment that matters! Of course you need to know the fundamentals, and you must have knowledge, but with the right equipment, you will be making better quality records. Expensive equipment=expensive sound........" Im not sure if I agree 100%...but he makes a good point.

Anyways......Im looking forward to owning a piece of recording history!

Cheers,

Jase
Old 18.07.2004, 01:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

so you will be accualy saving money and geting much better preamps by buying the desk

go check it out
you like it, buy it...
Old 18.07.2004, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Expensive equipment=expensive sound........" Im not sure if I agree 100%...but he makes a good point.
Unfortunately this is true in most cases. Ahhh money .

Let us know how it goes. You must really have some cash behind you. What did you do before becoming a student?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 20.07.2004, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell

You must really have some cash behind you. What did you do before becoming a student?
Im an international superstar! J/K I just have supportive parents. I took out a loan to initially buy all the equipment, and I have paid most off, and am borrowing back some to pay for the mixer. Basically, I am in debt for a long time, but, all it means is that I have no money to go out and waste, so I am forced to stay at home and make music, which suits me just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
so you will be accualy saving money and geting much better preamps by buying the desk
Thats the way I see it. I went and checked it out last night, and he played me some music he recorded with the desk ......Amazing! Sounded beautiful, but Im sure that his $20,000 ATC monitors had something to do with that......

I will keep you guys informed,

Jase
Old 20.07.2004, 02:43 PM

who exacly is this teacher of yours?
where do you study?
Old 21.07.2004, 01:47 PM

Quote:
where do you study?
I will tell you after (if) I buy this thing......just incase someone knows him and beats me to it......Im getting paranoid in my old age!

jase
Old 21.07.2004, 05:25 PM

lol ok man
Old 22.07.2004, 06:31 AM

Quote:
where do you study?
OK.....I can divulge all information now, as my dreams of owning this amazing console have been dashed. Not a financially viable option at this time! ::Crushed::

I go to a school in Sydney, Australia, called the JMC Academy. It is the most (Industry) respected Audio College in Australia, and my lecturer is a bloke by the name of "Greg Simmons". He is the founder of an Australian magazine called "Audio Technology", and he is also a judge for the ARIA awards in Australia, for the category "Best local Engineer"....basically he is a very well known and respected engineer.....and also a great teacher!

Anyways.....I can stop dreaming of pristine sound and go back to dreaming about devastating basslines and nasty leads! Ahhh....I can always rely on my virus to soothe my pain!

Cheers,

Jase