Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 11.10.2004, 12:39 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bod
hehe...
sorry, and thanks to both of yous....

thats what i was after, but i didnt really explain well to start with :)
That's ok. So, now we're cooking.

Quote:
i do tend to start of with 1 sound at a time from scratch then shape the sound and use a lot of detuning too to get the noises im after.
but its when im creating new sounds to use in the song with it, that i find it difficult to match.

i make alot of idmish stuff and electro, so i need those melancholy sounds..
The rule number one while setting up the oscillators is that keep at least one main oscillator non-detuned. That way you keep the pitch right and avoid tuning problems. Also take easy with chorus and pitch LFO's/envelopes.
Old 11.10.2004, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Phew, I've read the question about three times and still can't understand it.

AFAIK, pretty much every 'tuned' patch made should ideally reference to a base semitone value of 0, or transposed an octave or two above and below, as Juho pointed out. When you've learn theory and stuff, then the 7ths, triads etc. come into it. And of course for the non-tuned instruments (percussion, sfx, etc.), anything goes.
And that's pretty much standard across all synths.

Actually, have you got one synth globally tuned to a different key than the other?

If one synth is globally transposed, say, 4 semitones up from another, second synth, then yeah, you're going to have some serious probs tuning patches to sit well between both synths.

Best set equal global transpose settings for each/all synths at any one time.
Old 11.10.2004, 04:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

the 5th can also be used.
it doesnt have the "tonal dynmics" of 0,7 or 12(whole octave up) but it can also be used.
Old 11.10.2004, 05:13 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

no, im talkin about the oscillators used to make a patch..
i dont globally transpose...
as i say, i tend to use weirder offtuned oscillator settings, like -2 semitones for osc 1 and detune it alot compared to osc 2...
i make idm
the only reason i mentioned other synths is because if i try and create a new patch to use with the original patch ive made, whether on the indigo or another synth, i find it difficult to match the pitch
cheers
Old 11.10.2004, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
as i say, i tend to use weirder offtuned oscillator settings, like -2 semitones for osc 1 and detune it alot compared to osc 2...
i make idm :)
So it seems that you're forming chords with the oscillators. Using oscillators to form chords is not a very parctical way, but it can be done and the rule of one +0 oscillator also applies here. Creating chords with oscillators is always a bit "risky" because you tend to forget what chord is in which patch. For example if you program maj7 chord on one patch it won't work with a patch that has m7 programmed in it even the both patches play at the same note.

I'd recommend creating a single note patches and playing the chords instead of programming the chords in to the patches. Much easier that way plus you get more oscillators per voice.
Old 11.10.2004, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Quote:
i make idm
So it seems that you're forming chords with the oscillators. Using oscillators to form chords is not a very parctical way, but it can be done and the rule of one +0 oscillator also applies here. Creating chords with oscillators is always a bit "risky" because you tend to forget what chord is in which patch. For example if you program maj7 chord on one patch it won't work with a patch that has m7 programmed in it even the both patches play at the same note.

I'd recommend creating a single note patches and playing the chords instead of programming the chords in to the patches. Much easier that way plus you get more oscillators per voice.
Seconded.

Grab a couple of beginner/intermediate keyboard music theory books, or something, you wont regret it. Ignore the oscillators, sounds and stuff for now. It's a distraction.
There's nothing better than just a man and his piano for actually learning music.
Old 12.10.2004, 12:23 AM

Quote:
hollowcell.. i am starting to find now after a year of having the indigo that i'm building a library of sounds i can recall and work fairly well, its just that i like building sounds from scratch
btw, ure not the hollowcell that hosts the akai site?
Nope that's not me I'm affraid. At least it's not the personality I'm using now! 8O Maybe my psyciatrist was correct!

I think you misunderstood. I didn't mean take other peoples sounds, then tweak and use them. I meant program your own sounds (from scratch) then tweak and make variants. Doing this will give you instant access to many sounds with-out thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho
So it seems that you're forming chords with the oscillators. Using oscillators to form chords is not a very parctical way
Thirded! Definitely wouldn't be using the OSCs in this way.

Good luck with it all mate.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 12.10.2004, 05:02 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

hehe.. cheers to yous all...
ive actually been thinkin about taking piano lessons just to properly learn chords etc.. i do play chords, but its just that it takes me longer to get things down...

is there any keyboard books yous would reccomend? i bought 1 last yr, but its as dry as hell and seems pretty crap...
Old 12.10.2004, 11:41 PM

Juho helped me out with some basic chords and stuff once before.

I can play by ear alright, but it was nice to know what the chords/notes were I was playing.

Maybe Juho should start a thread with diagrams called "Basic musical knowledge". I know you have time Juho .
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 12.10.2004, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Maybe Juho should start a thread with diagrams called "Basic musical knowledge". I know you have time Juho
I indeed do have time, but the reason why I haven't made a chord tutorial is that I'm no 100% competent with correct musical theory. My explanations might be a little "bit weird".

But it seems that no-one else is able to make such tutorial, so I might make one.